Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: RWS Brenneke Slugs

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fat tony's Avatar
    a forward observation post in the L-F-H horizon, or Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    You mean these. Not a Brenneke slug, but I'm going to give them a try. They are tested and claimed to have good penetration. They are "Score" slugs made in Canada.

someone posted pics after firing.

Apparently they have big hollow bases just like a Foster slug & also have gaping hollow point.

They are some sort of slug imported from Italy.

Edit: another pic the guy posted:

^The caption to the pic mentioned the slug was 'stuck between the 2nd and 3rd board'

Here is the thread link:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...e-of-200/page4

Here is the post:

Quote Originally Posted by VancouverSkiBum View Post
    I really like these slugs. Heres some pictures of my trip last week.

Stuck between 2nd and 3rd board.

After 30 shots,

Last edited by fat tony; 01-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Vid about the unobtanium Brenneke slugs themselves.

I find it hard to believe the would-be Cdn vendors of these slugs have such a hard time identifying which slug is the one needed in Canada.
    Last edited by fat tony; 01-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by fat tony View Post
    someone posted pics after firing.

Apparently they have big hollow bases just like a Foster slug & also have gaping hollow point.

They are some sort of slug imported from Italy.

Edit: another pic the guy posted:

^The caption to the pic mentioned the slug was 'stuck between the 2nd and 3rd board'

Here is the thread link:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...e-of-200/page4

Here is the post:
    I will do my own testing an come to my own conclusions. What some may not realize is that for WT deer, you don't need a slug that will over-penetrate. IMO energy transfer and massive upset puts deer on the ground. Also I've been useing Challengers for years out of both rifled and smooth barrel 870's and have put a pile of venison in my freezer. The leading from Challengers is nothing a copper brush and solvent can't clean and accuracy was never effected from leading.

A garden variety foster slug is very different from a classic Brenneke slug, at least that is my understanding- nevertheless I hope the Manitoba business does well.
    Last edited by fat tony; 02-01-2014 at 08:28 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sorry to revive this somewhat - what most are missing here is that Brenneke slugs (real ones) use a very hard lead in addition to the slug's design - they don't deform, pretty much ever. They run out of energy and are usually mostly intact after impact. For this reason, they don't lead barrels. As for the "penetrated 3 boards" stuff? Not Brenneke, I've never even seen a picture of a true Brenneke slug fall apart like that. Usually the only deformation you get is that the corners round off at the leading edge. Now the relevant question, one more time - where the hell are they???

Quote "I will do my own testing an come to my own conclusions. What some may not realize is that for WT deer, you don't need a slug that will over-penetrate. IMO energy transfer and massive upset puts deer on the ground. Also I've been useing Challengers for years out of both rifled and smooth barrel 870's and have put a pile of venison in my freezer. The leading from Challengers is nothing a copper brush and solvent can't clean and accuracy was never effected from leading."

Brenneke slugs are not a good choice for deer, they are absolutely the best defense against a charging Grizzly, or mature Black Bear, (or lightly armoured vehicle) that's trying to run you down. Very serious penetration, even through the skull of a bear, with slugs penetrating the full length of the animal having been seen.
    Last edited by enefgee; 05-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    Sorry to revive this somewhat - what most are missing here is that Brenneke slugs (real ones) use a very hard lead in addition to the slug's design - they don't deform, pretty much ever. They run out of energy and are usually mostly intact after impact. For this reason, they don't lead barrels. As for the "penetrated 3 boards" stuff? Not Brenneke, I've never even seen a picture of a true Brenneke slug fall apart like that. Usually the only deformation you get is that the corners round off at the leading edge. Now the relevant question, one more time - where the hell are they???

Quote "I will do my own testing an come to my own conclusions. What some may not realize is that for WT deer, you don't need a slug that will over-penetrate. IMO energy transfer and massive upset puts deer on the ground. Also I've been useing Challengers for years out of both rifled and smooth barrel 870's and have put a pile of venison in my freezer. The leading from Challengers is nothing a copper brush and solvent can't clean and accuracy was never effected from leading."

Brenneke slugs are not a good choice for deer, they are absolutely the best defense against a charging Grizzly, or mature Black Bear, (or lightly armoured vehicle) that's trying to run you down. Very serious penetration, even through the skull of a bear, with slugs penetrating the full length of the animal having been seen.

Based on what you are saying would Brenneke slugs be hard on the barrel?

CGN Regular
    My LGS has also been trying to get some in for a while. I'll take their first order off their hands

Hougen's Sports Lodge in Whitehorse (hint hint nudge nudge)

I bought some off of SFRC. You will have to call because they are not on the web site. They did not have many....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Member of the CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadDamage View Post
    Spring is coming and I still don't have any. Who can I order these from?
    I used to order mine through Hub Sports in Abbotsford.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by lanis View Post
    Based on what you are saying would Brenneke slugs be hard on the barrel?
    They are still lead, but the alloy used is quite a bit harder than a soft swaged, or standard cast alloy. I've never heard anyone report any barrel issues with them. Frankly, under the circumstances that they get used for, I'm not sure anyone really worries that much about a barrel, they're largely life savers, used as the final option from working tools.
    Last edited by enefgee; 05-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep