Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge 102.1FM DJ Josie Dye @ TSC

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
    Whoever introduces anyone to shooting with anything other than a .22LR is doing it wrong.
    anyone who takes the time to introduce shooting to a newbie is a-ok with me.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker_Police View Post
    anyone who takes the time to introduce shooting to a newbie is a-ok with me.
    I do it ALL the time, but I see too many people just hand complete newbies a .45ACP pistol with minimum instruction and I see them stop shooting after a couple rounds and NOT continue, especially women.

This does not bode well for our lifestyle, you need to ease newbies into it.

I usually go:

.22 rifle (4-16x scope), .223 (red dot), 12 gauge (irons + reduced recoil at first then a 3" MAG) to 9MM pistol (irons).

Now that my Hammerli pistol is finally shipping out today (5 month order boo)

.22 -> .223 -> 12GA (or .308) -> .22 pistol -> 9MM pistol

I generally spend around 20 minutes with each newbie in the lounge/club area going over rules/intro and letting them get a feel for each firearm before I let them get out onto the line. I have never had anyone come away with anything other than a completely positive experience.

Whole process usually takes around 1.5-2hours.
    WTB: Larue LT724 , Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope 20-60x85 Straight

Quote Originally Posted by USP View Post
    This is a technical forum. Feel free to start a thread in off topics section about how some words upset you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DVXDUDE's Avatar
    I can't stand her, I will turn off the edge from 10-2. Not sure what it is, but FF and dean Blundell show are hilarious.

She always sounded like a bit of an anti, hope she has a new better outlook on firearms and shooting in general, Its not just for criminals and killing people :P
    Jesus was a carpenter....but, his father's an IRONWORKER

I started my wife out on a Sig 9mm and she is doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker_Police View Post
    TSC is awesome with their willingness to let the general public come in and get into this sport. They really should do more to advertise in the GTA.

I brought my company up there last october (about 40 of us! - thanks tsc) and no one had any idea that this was something available for them to do whenever they wanted. They were in disbelief. 6 of my colleagues signed up to get their license afterwards and are on their way to being fellow enthusiast's.

Its having a place like TSC & the great people there who are willing to take the time to bring complete newbies out on the range that will help to spread the enjoyment and participation in shooting sports across Canada. Fantastic.
    Very True, but it goes both ways... theres some characters in there that need not have any access to firearms, let alone be allowed to practice up... which unfortunately is why it can be nice when your required to have a pal to shoot.
    Μυρμιδόνες

CGN Ultra frequent flyer stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
    Agree 100%.

Similar to my expierence. Group Motorcycle Ride to oen of the ranges in London's openhouse. Had a blast and now 70% of that group have their Firarms Liscense.

I would have never know the enjoyment if it wasn't for my other hoddy leading to this one.

Definitly, they need to be more proactive in advertising.

So that was YOU! LOL!

We were actually talking at the EESA 2012 Open House organization meeting about whether or not we should expect the motorcylcle club to come out again.
    Questions about CSSA? Ask me.

It was hardly an introduction, she mentioned she only took 3 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    So that was YOU! LOL!

We were actually talking at the EESA 2012 Open House organization meeting about whether or not we should expect the motorcylcle club to come out again.
    Someone posted on gta motorcycle about the open house. I know several groups made it down there. It was a lot of fun. I would expect a similar turnout again this year.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnSTIG View Post
    Someone posted on gta motorcycle about the open house. I know several groups made it down there. It was a lot of fun. I would expect a similar turnout again this year.
    well post away on those boards

This years dates are June 9th and 10th
    Questions about CSSA? Ask me.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin555 View Post
    Very True, but it goes both ways... theres some characters in there that need not have any access to firearms, let alone be allowed to practice up... which unfortunately is why it can be nice when your required to have a pal to shoot.
    Really?

I've seen way more "shady" creatures at the public ranges

Remember that between the waiver, the arrests and all the cameras in a COMMERCIAL facility that is mangaed and manned, primarily the wanna bees are the only ones left as those that require annonymity do not like the scutiny.

I've personally seen groups come in with a patsy who has the "token" PAL and the rest were his guests, so having a license is not a guarantee in the least.

Also remember, a PAL is only resfused if violence is suspected, not simply stupidity or criminal behaviour.

my 2 cents.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast