Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Norinco M1 carbine, is it possible?

CGN Regular
    ^^ Why not just get a mini 30?

Metro Vancouver, Beautiful British Columbia

Non-restricted goodness!!! Inland with 20in barrel:D Nice shooter. Took a nice muley back in the day with this. My brothers have also taken bucks with this rifle and a black bear by my dad. Passed on to me from my dad. Here it is with my Mini 14. Sure hope we can get some new "non-restricteds" in. I'll buy two!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer manbearpig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhenn1965 View Post
    ^^ Why not just get a mini 30?
    because dropping nearly $1000 for a 7.62x39 plinker seems foolish.

Sorry to bring up an old issue but i have been wondering, is there any chance that Norinco would produce an M1 Garand for us or is this wishful thinking

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldSarge View Post
    The M1 Carbine was a short (hence Carbine) Semi-Automatic Rifle that fired the .30 Carbine (Metric 7.62x33) rimless cartridge. I believe the M1 Carbine was the only rifle ever produced that chambered this cartridge.
    The 30-30 you mention, is the 30-30 Winchester Rimmed cartridge, produced initially in the Winchester Model 94 Lever Action Rifle, and other subsequent Lever actions. There was also a Pump Action Rifle. As far as I know, no manufacturer has ever attempted to produce a Semi-Automatic Rifle that would chamber the 30-30.
    Norinco would never produce an M1 Carbine in 30-30, however they may be convinced to re-produce the M1 Carbine with a 19" barrel so it is non-restricted in Canada, and legal in certain American States.
    Thought Norcs were prohibited from being imported in the USA?

Edit: Most of the fun and joy of owning an M1 Carbine or M1 Garand is that you own a real M1 Carbine or a real M1 Garand... I could never feel well knowing that I spent hundreds on an unauthentic copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Thought Norcs were prohibited from being imported in the USA?

Edit: Most of the fun and joy of owning an M1 Carbine or M1 Garand is that you own a real M1 Carbine or a real M1 Garand... I could never feel well knowing that I spent hundreds on an unauthentic copy.
    I hear you but when there is virtually no supply and the price is so high in addition when you find one it is not in good shape a copy is a good idea.

In addition I really don't like to buy used because I have learnt that many only sell something if it is broken or malfunctioning. I haven't been lucky in buying second hand ever.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsiwy View Post
    M1 carbine 18.5" in 7.62x25TT for the win!
    I would be on that like a Chinaman on a chicken ball!
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
    i would be on that like a chinaman on a chicken ball!

As luck would have it, I managed to acquire a NR carbine that had been assembled out of some unknowns parts bin. Chasing after the 30 carbine brass was annoying, so I did the nessessary research to convert it to the 7.62x25 tt round.

The job required the obvious rechambering, opening up the bolt face and finding a magazine that would work.

The first two jobs were easy. I built a mag well adaptor to accept the Tokarev magazine. (also modified a PPSH 41 mag to work)

Bearhunter is right about cleaning the piston, a bit of a PITA. Overall it's fun to shoot, and I don't have to worry about the cost of the ammo or chasing the spent casings.

A new rifle built simularly would be a hot seller in my opinion.
    I have no sympathy for poor rich boys born under privilege.

@Mkrainc : What kind of ballistics do you get out of that combo?
    The factory 85/90gr bullets run about 1700fps out of standard Tok barrels.
    "Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.”
    ― Thomas Sowell,