Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Norinco M1 carbine, is it possible?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geotensor View Post
    This is why we need to get rid of the barrel length requirement for semi-auto centerfires.

The 18.5 inch requirement was an attempt to get rid of the M1 carbine as a popular opition for Canadians.

So when can we eliminate the barrel length requirement and just use OAL?
    When I was growing up, there was an epidemic of shooting bank robberies. The drill was for a driver to wait outside. The first guy in the door fired into the ceiling to startle the staff and customers. The firearm of choice was a cut-off carbine with a 30 round magazine. Sometimes they liked M2 carbines, which were easier to find than you'd think. He would loudly count back from 30, so the other two guys who'd leap over the counters and scoop up the cash knew how long they had. Frightening and effective. One of the official countermeasures was to change the gun rules and move semi-automatic centrefire rifles with 18 inch barrels to Restricted. And M1 carbines were the only guns that met that definition.

It sucks for the rest of us years later, but armed robbers do things differently today. Not a week goes by in any major Canadian city when a bank isn't held up.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geotensor View Post
    This is why we need to get rid of the barrel length requirement for semi-auto centerfires.

The 18.5 inch requirement was an attempt to get rid of the M1 carbine as a popular opition for Canadians.

So when can we eliminate the barrel length requirement and just use OAL?
    Eliminate all barrel and OAL restrictions. A gun, is a gun, is a gun.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    When I was growing up, there was an epidemic of shooting bank robberies. The drill was for a driver to wait outside. The first guy in the door fired into the ceiling to startle the staff and customers. The firearm of choice was a cut-off carbine with a 30 round magazine. Sometimes they liked M2 carbines, which were easier to find than you'd think. He would loudly count back from 30, so the other two guys who'd leap over the counters and scoop up the cash knew how long they had. Frightening and effective. One of the official countermeasures was to change the gun rules and move semi-automatic centrefire rifles with 18 inch barrels to Restricted. And M1 carbines were the only guns that met that definition.

It sucks for the rest of us years later, but armed robbers do things differently today. Not a week goes by in any major Canadian city when a bank isn't held up.
    Funny how robbing a bank was illegal then and still is now, and using a firearm in a crime was illegal then and still is now AND WE STILL HAVE BANK ROBBERIES.

Fawkin morons.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

I would buy one, and it probably would not matter what calibre it came in...
    There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except the bad man. - Charlton Heston

I've been thinking about it and I think I'd really like one in 5.56. No I don't want a mini14 in this sense for the next one who's thinking of suggesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth777 View Post
    i'll put my two cents in with the 7.62x25 crowd. cheap surplus ammo is what's missing in the M1 .30 carbine equation. no point having a low dollar gun with high ammo costs.
    ...maybe canada ammo can come out with a combo package for this too! (norinco M1 carbine with a case of 7.62x25 for $??? :-)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post
    clone of the Russian PPSH-41 (7.62x25) in semi-auto only............
    Marstar is already bringing them in..... not chinese though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsiwy View Post
    M1 carbine 18.5" in 7.62x25TT for the win!
    Sounds good.

People want an m1 carbine in .223, but not a mini14... Hmmmm....
    I want a mini14 that's in .308win, but not a m14.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

No really groundbreaking ideas in this thread....people not happy with the .30 carbine's performance, but for some reason still enamored of the gun itself... have been building wildcat cartridges and converting M1s for at least 60 years.

http://www.thegunzone.com/carbine-wildcat.html

I'll confess to a certain amount of M1 lust myself....and I'm not even a huge fan of milsurp stuff. Who knows...after some first hand experience with it I might come to hate the thing but I'd at least like to get my hands on one long enough to make up my own mind.....something the government's not inclined to permit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    M1 Carbine 45 acp