Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 10/22 Takedown Model

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    Honestly, I'd probably grab the Ruger over the Papoose if I had the choice. The mags alone make it the clear winner.
    Papoose has last shot hold open, grooved receiver for rings (seen a number of 10/22s with stripped receiver from mounting base), better trigger, lot lighter, 2 action screws, and nickel mags that are easily serviceable (slide off bottom plate...). For that matter, can more easily field strip the whole rifle (no pin/buffer to knock out to remove bolt). Papooses are around $275 (LeBaron, WSS), suspect the 10/22 will be another $100 on top of that (though stocks on the papoose tend to be sloppy).

Will likely buy one of these a year from now or so once I what after market barrels become available (16" bull) but am not giving up the Papooses.
    In case of emergency, dial 1911.

compact

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    It would also be hideous. This gun breaks down to 18.5" long, that's plenty tiny. No point in shortening the barrel as the stock/receiver component is still 18.5" or longer- the case wouldn't get any smaller with a shorter barrel. Plus, what's 2 1/2"? Nothing. They wanted a good looking little takedown, not an AR telestocked embarrassment, and a foot and a half long doesn't need to get any smaller really- that's tiny.
    I bolded COMPACT for a reason.

The concept of COMPACT is ...well....COMPACT.
    If you're going for small then maximize the concept.
    Yes, every inch less does matter, that's why a compact or takedown buyer buys one in the 1st place.
    That extra inch or so may make the difference of fitting in a particular backpack, storage compartment, airplane locker etc.

As for ugly.....we're talking about a takedown 22lr here........
    If you're after purty there's plenty better options???
    A lil Browning comes to mind.

COMPACT should emphasize size/weight efficiency.....a full size barrel and stock doesn't address this IMO.
    Yer right about my suggestion of the M4 stock......the stock should not only be lightweight and short but contain a storage section ala papoose or AR7.

Ruger already produces a compact barrel....it would make total sense to me to use it in the compact application??
    Im a huge fan of the concept.....I think the execution is wrong.

I also think there is a lot of sense to the concept of the gun remaining one piece when it is broken down. Given the survival or "ignored till needed" nature of the gun.....when it comes time to retrieve it from the pack or hideyhole where it lives and only some of the pieces are present...it will be useless. A hinged, folding concept comes to mind.
    One of the key specs of the AR7 was the concept of collapsing into ONE single entity when it took down/stored to avoid the possibility of the components becoming separated. Still multiple parts but an approach to ensuring they were all present when required.

Oh, and it should retail for about a hundred bux less than it does too!

In this day and age of preparedness a compact/lightweight takedown 22lr is an amazingly god idea and would not only likely sell well to existing firearm owners it could well create a huge new market of preparedness oriented otherwise nongunowning folk which would obviously bolster firearms ideology in this country. Nothing that defines a firearm as a tool and friend rather than a weapon and enemy than this type of firearm.

Just one man's opinion of course.

The market will either support it or not in the end right?
    Husband/Father/Brother/Patriot/Veteran/Paramedic retired/Libertarian

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by terez View Post
    I bolded COMPACT for a reason.

The concept of COMPACT is ...well....COMPACT.
    If you're going for small then maximize the concept.
    Yes, every inch less does matter, that's why a compact or takedown buyer buys one in the 1st place.
    That extra inch or so may make the difference of fitting in a particular backpack, storage compartment, airplane locker etc.

As for ugly.....we're talking about a takedown 22lr here........
    If you're after purty there's plenty better options???
    A lil Browning comes to mind.

COMPACT should emphasize size/weight efficiency.....a full size barrel and stock doesn't address this IMO.
    Yer right about my suggestion of the M4 stock......the stock should not only be lightweight and short but contain a storage section ala papoose or AR7.

Ruger already produces a compact barrel....it would make total sense to me to use it in the compact application??
    Im a huge fan of the concept.....I think the execution is wrong.

I also think there is a lot of sense to the concept of the gun remaining one piece when it is broken down. Given the survival or "ignored till needed" nature of the gun.....when it comes time to retrieve it from the pack or hideyhole where it lives and only some of the pieces are present...it will be useless. A hinged, folding concept comes to mind.
    One of the key specs of the AR7 was the concept of collapsing into ONE single entity when it took down/stored to avoid the possibility of the components becoming separated. Still multiple parts but an approach to ensuring they were all present when required.

Oh, and it should retail for about a hundred bux less than it does too!

In this day and age of preparedness a compact/lightweight takedown 22lr is an amazingly god idea and would not only likely sell well to existing firearm owners it could well create a huge new market of preparedness oriented otherwise nongunowning folk which would obviously bolster firearms ideology in this country. Nothing that defines a firearm as a tool and friend rather than a weapon and enemy than this type of firearm.

Just one man's opinion of course.

The market will either support it or not in the end right?
    As a guy who works in the absolute middle of nowhere, alone, and has a pretty good angle on what you mean with survival guns I think you're seeing this 10/22 all wrong. Ruger built a quality gun (better than the Papoose, and far better than the AR7) intended to be shot lots, likely more than carried. It's not going to be a last ditch survival gun, it's just a nice little package that fits in the car/backpack a lot more easily. That's more attractive to most folks than the AR7 concept, and Ruger calculated that. I have no doubt it will sell like crazy as well.

Just one man's opinion of course as well!

ZOMG, do want, please put me down on the list!
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    In a shell scrape 300 metres behind you...
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
    hey!!...... hes my pa/brother/granpa/uncle/cusin an....my Ma/sister/grama/niece would take ofence to be'n called a hilbily

Now back on topic....need it.... when do they arrive?
    Am I the only dude who finds it ironic that the guy making fun of Mr.Quinn can't spell "hillbilly" correctly????

blake

Nice gun & I would buy it, if its no more than $100 extra, over a regular carbine.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Around $350 sounds good to me.

Thumbs up spellin

Quote Originally Posted by mudgunner49 View Post
    Am I the only dude who finds it ironic that the guy making fun of Mr.Quinn can't spell "hillbilly" correctly????

blake

Well at least one person enjoys my twisted sense of humour.......
    Last edited by tommyg; 03-31-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo

Interesting little carbine. I had a papoose, as it was the only potential option at the time... Actually, I had two, as Marlin had to warranty replace the first one, when I could NOT get a telescope to stay attached to the useless dovetailed receiver rails, and then the pot metal bit that the magazine locks into bent, making the rifle unserviceable.

Nevertheless, when my replacement arrived, I sold it right away. I hope the Ruger is more robust - I love the 10/22 I have now, and a take down would be AWESOME!!
    I am a CSSA member - If you own firearms in Canada, shouldn't you be, too?

CGN Regular
    I just wish the case was a little more portable. That thing is huge!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast