Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 34mm rings

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Are they now made of aluminum?

I always thought the gap was because various scope manufacturers have slightly different thicknesses. I'm sure you know more about it than I do.
    Actually the gap is because it is easier/cheaper to machine a mass of separate parts and have them fit each other regardless as the tolerances as so loose.
    Machining rings the way we do is much less cost effective, but you get a precisely mated "pair" of rings that require NO lapping and because they are made as a set in 1 piece there is only a .010 gap between the ring halves.

The big downside I see to any ring with a big gap is that it is easily possible to crush the scope tube by over tightening the ring screws, with out rings it is virtually impossible to crush a tube.
    FWIW to replace the scope tube on a NF scope figuring in shipping to and from Idaho is just under $800.00. We just got the estimate of repair back on a scope that the tube was crushed using NF rings.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 05-19-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Ok, final question. If the 34mm rings are made with 7075 aluminum and use the same cross bolt system as the 30mm rings. Why are they still $50 more? What difference other than being slightly larger justifies a 33% price increase?

I do wish you made a "super low" 34mm variant that was in the range of .92" Like a few other manufacturers.
    “... What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.” Churchill

IN PACE PARATUS

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Ok, final question. If the 34mm rings are made with 7075 aluminum and use the same cross bolt system as the 30mm rings. Why are they still $50 more? What difference other than being slightly larger justifies a 33% price increase?

I do wish you made a "super low" 34mm variant that was in the range of .92" Like a few other manufacturers.
    The 34s use larger material and waste is significantly more. It boils down to material cost differences and a longer run time in the machines.
    As for super low rings, if there was enough demand it could happen.
    Every set of super low 34s we ever sold came back to be exchanged for lows back when we carried TPS. With the larger objective scopes being the lions share of the market coupled with the number of rifles that have full length rails we get far more call for super highs, so are making them in 1.375 and 1.5" heights.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Just got a low set and the fit and finish is fantastic.

Very nice, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12