Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Safe Questions

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    Advice on a safe/cabinet; buy big.

If you plan on owning 4-5 rifles and a couple pistols, buy a 12 rifle cabinet. The reasoning behind that is, a 12 gun cabinet is labeled that for marketing, it sounds like you might be able to fit 12 guns in it, right? wrong! If you put 10 rifles in a 12 rifle cabinet and want the one in the very back, you need to pull 6 rifles out to get to it.

Put yourself in the guns place. If you're say, a nice handed down bolt action, would you want some commie semiauto jamming ya in the muzzle 24/7? No, you'd want some space. Tell me if I'm wrong...
    :D
    Been there and found that out the hard way. Good advice here.
    CLOSE - only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
    CCFR & CSSA & RWF Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tuco Pike's Avatar
    Stack on gun safes (yes the cheapie "cabinets" are safes) is all the you need to comply with the law. If it is locked and you have the key, no unauthorized kiddie is going to get in. If a criminal breaks in, they are going to get your guns no matter what they are in. Recall the incident a couple years ago where a guy named Mike Hargreaves had an actual vault, they still got in and stole his guns. And yes if you are wondering they did charge him with unsafe storage.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco Pike View Post
    Stack on gun safes (yes the cheapie "cabinets" are safes) is all the you need to comply with the law. If it is locked and you have the key, no unauthorized kiddie is going to get in. If a criminal breaks in, they are going to get your guns no matter what they are in. Recall the incident a couple years ago where a guy named Mike Hargreaves had an actual vault, they still got in and stole his guns. And yes if you are wondering they did charge him with unsafe storage.
    Amen. Save your money for ammo......or lawyer bills......no safe is safe enough not to be charged so.......
    Kate Beckinsale :
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    I'd love to look at her Underworld!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly pete View Post
    And give it a lycan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Not familiar with the case, but if he had a UL listed VAULT, then the badguys were at it a LONG time to get it open.

Let's be completely clear here: a safe is not an end, it's part of an overall security SYSTEM, that starts with proper design of the outside of your house: keeping bushes low and lights on to make it hard for the sheetheads to get into the house in the first place. Then good locks on good windows and doors: force them to make noise for the neighbours to see. Then a good, properly designed, monitored and tested alarm system: let someone know that there's a problem. If they get past all of that, they've got all the time in the world to go after your guns. Don't let that happen. My gun safe is my LAST line of defense, and they'll have to spend a LOT of time messing with it to get it open/dislodged from its home.
    Don't take anything I say too seriously, my sarcasm doesn't always come through in my typing.
    Those who don't understand history are doomed to repeat it.
    Preparedness trumps response every time

CGN Regular
    If someone is able to break into your safe or steal it you'll still be charged?
    I guess from a responsibility stand point it makes some sense but that still doesn't seem quite right. How do you prevent theft? If we had that answer stores and banks would have applied it.

Edit: I found an article that mentions the Hargreaves situation @ canadafreepress.com/2006/weinreb021006.htm

Mike Hargreaves had his home broken into and 35 guns stolen while he was vacationing in Florida. The Toronto Police Force under the leadership of Chief Bill Blair, who puts political correctness and group hugs above solving violent crime, have charged Hargreaves with unsafe storage of a firearm under the Criminal Code. If Hargreaves ever returns from the sunny south it should be an interesting trial; he had stored his guns in a 900+ pound concrete and steel safe that took the thieves some time to pry open. But of course, the crime is his fault.
    Last edited by James Howlett; 04-05-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Hargreaves

If someone wants your sh_t no safe is gonna keep them out. I remember a true story about a guy right here in Manitoba. It seems that he went on a three week vacay down in the States, and when he got back there was a giant hole in the side of his house the same size as his safe. The crooks just backed up a truck and pulled it right through the wall. An 800 lb safe that was bolted to the concrete floor gone in 60 seconds. Sad but true. If they want your sh_t they are going to get it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    This is quite true, There was a guy who's house I worked on a few times over a few months- every time his house got broken into (he lived WAY out in the country and had a LOT of money), we'd make the doors stronger, the locks bigger and the alarm louder, brighter (we put strobes everywhere to make it distracting while they were inside. Eventually they drove through the garage door, then through the inner wall.

With the exception of Toronto, most jurisdictions take 'reasonable efforts' and even 'extraordinary efforts' into account, or at least they should.
    Don't take anything I say too seriously, my sarcasm doesn't always come through in my typing.
    Those who don't understand history are doomed to repeat it.
    Preparedness trumps response every time

My Canadian Tire store has 8 of the 10 gun stack on cabinets for $150 which is a great price. I bought the 16 gun safe that's on tomorrow at the same store for $400 tax included today. The manager did me a favor as the item had to be ordered in and the store is closed tomorrow. Great deal for the money cause they are regularly twice the price.

Costco safes go on for $350. They're 16 gun rated, probably hold 8 without damage, 275lbs and have fireproofing. You MUST mount this to a wall - 300lbs is easily put on a dolly and rolled away, but it's still good for the money. There's a 36 gun safe from Canadian Tire that goes on for $700 (from 1400). I believe that runs about 700lbs and needs at least 4 guys to lift.

The Costco safe is the best entry-level solution IMO.

Appreciate all the info y'all where able to give I was just looking for general opinions as I had no where to even start. Hopefully someone else finds it as helpful as I did.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast