Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Safe Questions

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HKMark23's Avatar
    The definition:

"is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into"

is ambiguous and that open to interpretation that it allows the use of any of the tin boxes marketed by CT, Cosco, and many others as "Gun Storage" units. If it is identified and marketed for the purpose of firearm storage, you are good to go. That said, any time the police come to your home on a firearms related matter, you can expect "unsafe storage" to be among the catch-all charges they will routinely level. Just as routinely, the charge fails in court when challenged.
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

FYI Costco has a 8 gun safe on sale until the 28th. Regular $389.99 Save $75, $314.99
    If you can find it in store, it will be less because the website builds delivery into the price.

http://www.costco.ca/Honeywell-3511-...100131115.html

Quote Originally Posted by HKMark23 View Post
    The definition:

"is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into"

is ambiguous and that open to interpretation that it allows the use of any of the tin boxes marketed by CT, Cosco, and many others as "Gun Storage" units. If it is identified and marketed for the purpose of firearm storage, you are good to go. That said, any time the police come to your home on a firearms related matter, you can expect "unsafe storage" to be among the catch-all charges they will routinely level. Just as routinely, the charge fails in court when challenged.
    Do you have any links to specific court cases? Jurisprudence? I'd really like to read those. Might change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normaltype View Post
    Do you have any links to specific court cases? Jurisprudence? I'd really like to read those. Might change my mind.
    There is a case that's referenced at times here. I'll see if I can find it, as I have time, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

There is also this comment on the NFA website...

A sheet metal gun safe, or other locked metal container fits the description of "safe" in Black's Law Dictionary. So does the thick-walled fireproof box with a combination dial that most people think of when they think of a “safe.”
    https://nfa.ca/resource-items/safe-a...icted-firearms

Here you go...

[22] I find that the cabinets in which the defendant's prohibited firearms were stored fall withinthedefinitionofa·safe. Bothofthelockersinwhichtheprohibitedfirearmswerest ored were made of steel. Each cabinet was securely locked: one by a key and a padlock; the other by a locking system that uses a key to unbolt rods in the door from the frame ofthe unit. Indeed,
    ·---··-- - -·--despite-their-disagreement-onotherjssues,-the-Cro:wn.and.the_defence_expertho_th accep_te.d.tha.t_____ __ _ ____ _ the units were securely locked. The Crown has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there
    was non-compliance with the regulation. The charges are dismissed.
    http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...-Judgement.pdf
    Last edited by Dakk; 10-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    "Silence is the virtue of those who are not wise."

My comments are simply my opinions and observations. I am not a lawyer, and any legal references in my comments should not be considered legal advice.

CGN Regular
    costco protector by first alert. got mine for around $330 bucks and you can easily fit 4-5 rilfles, some ammo cans, few hand guns etc. I bought mine when i got my AR and it has worked out nice!

Quote Originally Posted by normaltype View Post
    Tell you what, deep thinker, keep your mind just as it is and I'll live out my life in anguish worrying about it .
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by HKMark23 View Post
    Tell you what, deep thinker, keep your mind just as it is and I'll live out my life in anguish worrying about it .
    While the conversation probably belongs in the 'Legalese' section, I can't blame a guy for wanting to see some actual evidence for why he should change his mind. His request seemed perfectly legitimate to me.
    "Silence is the virtue of those who are not wise."

My comments are simply my opinions and observations. I am not a lawyer, and any legal references in my comments should not be considered legal advice.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    If you don't mind cross-border shopping....dollar is a bit low now, but....check out TSC stores in the US. I bought mine in NY for $450US (Just over $500 after conversion and tax at the border). The same safe here was $999 + HST.

...and yes, go bigger than you need.

This is what I bought.....was cheaper then...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity?localStore=OGDENSBURG%2C+NY
    Prost!

Berger

Quote Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
    While the conversation probably belongs in the 'Legalese' section, I can't blame a guy for wanting to see some actual evidence for why he should change his mind. His request seemed perfectly legitimate to me.
    This is where people ask questions and post opinions for others to consider. However, challenging people to "change your mind" is as sophomoric as it gets. Your effort to enlighten normaltype made for enlightening reading, but you shouldn't scold folks who elect not to cater to hubristic juvenile challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
    There is a case that's referenced at times here. I'll see if I can find it, as I have time, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

There is also this comment on the NFA website...

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/safe-a...icted-firearms

Here you go...

http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...-Judgement.pdf
    Thank you very much for sharing the Barnes case Dakk, that's very good jurisprudence. I appreciate your help. Consider my mind changed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast