Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Safe Questions

First Safe Questions

Looking for information in safe for starting off I have one rifle handed down and looking to get maybe 2-3 more rifles and a few handguns. Any recommendation on where to buy safes from that are good quality safes and what to look for. Thanks in advance for helping a newb out.

CGN Regular
    Great question.
    I'll be doing almost the same thing.
    Like everything there are varying opinions on safes. From what I've read on this forum, many consider the standard Canadian Tire gun safes as adequate. You just have to check the interior volume carefully for the size you think you will eventually need.

I'm looking at a total of 2 (maybe 3) rifles and 1 (maybe 2) handguns. But I can already tell that those numbers could change!

I'm hoping for others to chime here with other recommendations too!

Good luck in your search.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Get one of the Stack ON cabinets when they're on sale at Crappy Tire. It will be enough for legal requirements. If you're asking about an actual safe, then get the Costco one when they have it on sale, good buy for the money.
    Kate Beckinsale :
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    I'd love to look at her Underworld!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly pete View Post
    And give it a lycan

It depends if you want a safe that meets the rules for "adequate" or if you want to spend a bit more for something with some security and fire rating to it. For about $370. at costco you can get a solid, quality 250 lb safe thats not getting stolen or broken into and is fire rated.

Depends on the level of security you are looking for, a simple safe from canadian tire made by stack on is really all you need (their "safes" not the "cabinet") they're not rated for a fire or anything and they're just shy of 200 pounds but with 3 bolts and interior door hinges will keep your average robber out and you need not worry about anything else.

as for fire rated safes, well depending on the size and what not they're generally more expensive as compared to the one noted above. and really the extreme heat from a fire is going to warp your guns anyways and you should have house insurance in the first place so from a personal stand point I think a stack on is more than sufficient for a persons needs and definitely wait for them to go on sale, when canadian tire starts the sale they usually start from the lowest size safe and cycle up to the larger ones week by week.

just my .2 cents since you're diggin for info! but to each their own

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    1- what do you want this safe to do? Make it hard to steal, make it hard to burn or both?

2- how many guns to EVENTUALLY plan to have? A safe is a big investment. Make it once.

3- where do you plan to PUT this safe? If you EVER plan to move it, such as if you're in a first home, an interim home or there's a POSSIBILITY that you'd be moving, don't make it unreasonable (such as putting it in an open space and building around it) to get out.

4- whatever your answer to 2 was, DOUBLE IT. then add some.

5- the heavier the safe, the better. Remember that no safe will stop 100% of all burglars. I make a decent living breaking into safes.

Last, and in my professional opinion, the most important: Buy local. If you buy a safe from Costco or Canadian Tire, and something goes wrong, what are you going to do? I would hope that your local locksmith/safe tech can service it for you, but you never know. If you buy it from the same guy that would service it, he will know how to service it. If not, you're kind of hit or miss if it needs to be serviced: hopefully, but probably not as fast as you'd like.
    Don't take anything I say too seriously, my sarcasm doesn't always come through in my typing.
    Those who don't understand history are doomed to repeat it.
    Preparedness trumps response every time

Advice on a safe/cabinet; buy big.

If you plan on owning 4-5 rifles and a couple pistols, buy a 12 rifle cabinet. The reasoning behind that is, a 12 gun cabinet is labeled that for marketing, it sounds like you might be able to fit 12 guns in it, right? wrong! If you put 10 rifles in a 12 rifle cabinet and want the one in the very back, you need to pull 6 rifles out to get to it.

Put yourself in the guns place. If you're say, a nice handed down bolt action, would you want some commie semiauto jamming ya in the muzzle 24/7? No, you'd want some space. Tell me if I'm wrong...
    :D

I got a Stack on safe, it holds 8 riffles. My reasoning for getting a safe was more for safety of guest's with children visiting. If a thief wants my guns a safe would hardly stop them, they can alway just steal the whole safe. Atleast I know when my nephew is over for a visit he won't get at my firearms whith out me supervising. I also bought the safe to show my girlfriend I am serious about safety as I am still waiting for my paper work and PAL to arrive.
    aim twice, shoot once? works for carpentry.

I got a 14-gun Stack On safe...and it's not nearly big enough (I should have got two). Bear in mind that when they say it'll hold 14 guns, it will actually hold 5 or 6 without damaging them. As 9X19P said, "buy big". You'll be much happier down the road...
    Proud member of the CSSA, the CPC, and the CCFR

Bought an 8 gun safe from can tire on sale for 99 bucks. What I really want to do is get the 36 or 24 gun safe, which is fire rated. Apparently the 1300 dollar 36 gun safe goes on sale for 700 bucks, so just wait for it.

And yea buy big, especially if you're in your own house, you could put all your documents and important stuff in there too. If you're renting and moves around the big heavy ones might not be too good.

Anyone know how much costco puts their safe on sale for?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast