Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Norinco JW 25

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Talk about fast shipping. Mine arrived yesterday instead of the expected Monday. I missed the drop, though.

Now I just need a decent repro sling

Me too. It's not complete without the sling IMHO.

So I'm guessing quite a few have their new JW-25's by now. What's the verdict so far?

I'll reserve judgement on mine until I put some rounds through it tomorrow, but first impressions are not favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmaniac View Post
    So I'm guessing quite a few have their new JW-25's by now. What's the verdict so far?

I'll reserve judgement on mine until I put some rounds through it tomorrow, but first impressions are not favorable.
    I stripped mine down last weekend, here is what I found. The blueing is really good, the trigger was horrible, the wood inletting was rough, my cleaning rod was bent. Took it all apart, had to be really careful as the for arm metal was really tight. I cleaned up the barrel and there was some kind of tar in the bore that took forever to get out, once clean she looks good. I took the trigger apart as part of the assembly was made from cast metal. Once I cleaned the casting material off I found the sears to be really rough, they were filed badly and had some chips on them. I stoned them slightly and cleaned up the chips, I also cleaned the trigger spring of sand left over from the casting material. I used a chisel to clean up some of the inletting and gave everything a really good cleaning. The rifle went back together well and I had to really clean the adapter that fits the magazine in, once again pot metal with chips and rough edges and casting materials. The bolt came apart easily and there was some really sludgy oil around the firing pin, a good cleaning and it went back together well. After a few hours of some elbow grease and a little basic work it is like a new rifle. The trigger is smooth, the mag feeds well, cz mags work well too. I put 25 rounds through it quickly and I was quite pleased, will try to post some pics of what I can do at the range with it this weekend hopefully.

CGN frequent flyer midnightpossum's Avatar
    I wish they had the cutout on the stock like the earlier jw-25's did.. and like a Mauser does...
    No retreat,No surrender

CGN Regular
    Mine came wrapped in plastic with a dark brown light weight oil. The bolt was in a separate bag with the same oil. This made cleanup pretty easy. The wood was good from the factory so I left it as is. The metal parts needed some cleaning and buffing inside the receiver where the bolt slides to smooth it out. I also worked the trigger a bit because it felt gritty. The chamber and bore were pretty dirty but they eventually cleaned up. I left the magazine release alone because it's a bit gritty but still drops freely.

I finally have the combination of time and good weather so I'll get it out to the range tomorrow.

CGN Regular
    Saturday's range time turned into today's range time. Either way.

It was far too windy here for any serious target shooting so I stuck to plinking steel and pieces of broken clay pigeons. Accuracy wise, I have no issues with the rifle. It consistently hit within about a 1.5 inch circle at 30 yards with CCI Blazers despite a 60 km/h wind coming from the back left of me. The only problem I ran into is the follower in the magazine seems to randomly bind once in a while causing a FTF. I'm thinking I might not have cleaned it out thoroughly enough and it still has some factory crud in it.

It's certainly a great little plinker. Thumbs up. Would buy again!

Is there a longer barrel version of the JW 25

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpossum View Post
    I wish they had the cutout on the stock like the earlier jw-25's did.. and like a Mauser does...
    aha so this newer batch is indeed not the same as the older ones...

Just curious. What do these sell for?

Is there a link to your site you can share?

Thanks,

Steve
    When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567