Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco M4 Barrel nut stuck on

Norinco M4 Barrel nut stuck on

Hello SFRC and everyone else,

I just received my 14.5" Norinco M4 upper (from SFRC) and I am trying to install a free float forend but I am having a hell of a time removing parts.

I had to cut off the front sight 'cause I couldn't punch out the pins and now I can't even budge the barrel nut. I've soaked it in WD-40 and even used a torch without success.

Are these issues common with the Norinco's or am I just special?

I am afraid I am going to totally wreck the upper.

Any suggestions?

did you remove the lock screw in the front of the front sight
    hold my girlfriend while i drink your beer!!

i cant read my bad wrong part sorry LOL
    hold my girlfriend while i drink your beer!!

CGN frequent flyer lil_juiced_coupe's Avatar
    Gas block are generally red lock tightened in requiring the proper vice an tools to work on ARs. You also need special tools to install a free floating rail. I would suggest stopping now and taking it to a gunsmith

Special tools to install a FF rail?! Yeah, it's called a standard armourer's wrench! Seriously, if you have to take an AR to a smith to change a barrel or install a new forend, you probably shouldn't have one. To the OP, yeah, I found the gas block to be impossible to remove the pins on, so a hacksaw fixed that. I didn't have much trouble with the barrel nut, though. Assuming you have the barrel nut wrench, maybe try a snipe on the wrench, just be careful.
    U.N.D.E.A.D. - United Northern Defense, Eradication And Disposal. We hope you will join us.

Thanks gabrielguitars,

I have a nice armours wrench and I've removed a barrel nut (and installed a FF rail) before without any issues.

I'm going to try a cheater bar on the wrench but if that doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to cut the barrel nut off as well. A new one is around $25.

DPMS sells upper vice moulds that might help your situation. They run about 40 bucks and an be ordered off their website or from your local gunshop. Use of a cheater bar on the wrench helps a lot too. Even then, you should have gotten it off using the torch so hopefully it all works out.
    - God created the Earth, Mauser drew the property lines
    - Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
    - Member NFA/CSSA/NRA/RCAF/CPC

I have never done this before but if i were in your position i would just cut the thing right off
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

I had troubles with the Front site and cut it off, the Barrel nut didn't give me much trouble but it was TIGHT- like 85 ft/lbs according to my torque wrench. However My 2 ft long torque wrench attached to a multi-tool did the job.

did you take the gas tube out? :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast