Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: Wool Blankets

wow, I had no idea there were so many fussy blanketeers!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer David K's Avatar
    ... It's going to be very hard to even come close to the price Point given in the initial Post. And then there's the additional features, all adding to the cost. Australia does produce many really high quality blanket's, but mostly, for the Homeowner, and very pricey. If one goes to cheaper labor providers, IE China and India, then quality of materials would probably suffer dramatically. .... I did take the time to check a couple of Vintage RCMP issued ( Single size bed ) Blankets for the manufacturers name. ( Circa 1959/1960 ) all have stitched border/edges, and have gone through countless washings over the years, so weight would be an open question. "AYERS LIMITED" Lachute, PQ ( 1959 ) both Brown and the Grey, and the other name I came up with, and the Label is far from distinct, is "FAMOUS" and I've not a clue as to further details, of either the year or location. It would be nice to be able to "Buy Canadian" but I doubt many would be willing to pay the increased price for the high quality locally made Blankets. Regrettably,I know, I couldn't afford to do so. ...... David K

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Updates:

Canadian mills contacted

FYI many of the mills in India and China use Australian wool.

So far the Indian (many old, ex-British) mills are in the lead. They also speak avoirdupois.

This is fantastic. I've been searching for a new wool blanket (or 2 or 3) to replace the army issue one I had before. It was warm as hell and rugged too. I used it to keep a patient in a Motor Vehicle Accident warm while I provided first aid for half an hour in January last year until the Ambulance arrived. We ended up packaging the patient with my blanket and off it went to the hospital, never to be seen again. But, I'd do it again in a heartbeat

You are a good man Mr. P. Sorry about your blanket but it sounds like you will have a replacement soon!
    Don't worry, be happy. (an M14 can do that!)

CGN Regular
    They say wool is nature's wonder fabric, and it really is true, there is just nothing like it. Fire resistant, keeps you warm even when its wet, regulates temperature when going from warm to cold, naturally kills bad odours, durable, and silent.

My wool pants have been one of my favourite outdoor gear items ever.

You can't get real wool stuff in all the crap-tastic big box stores we have these days.. I think this is why the response is so positive to this idea. Gun nutters have an eye for good products!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Updates:

Canadian mills contacted

FYI many of the mills in India and China use Australian wool.

So far the Indian (many old, ex-British) mills are in the lead. They also speak avoirdupois.
    avoirdupois (avoir du poids) is an old french mesure for 16 oz to a pound. Good to figure thickness in relation to density.

Expired Business
    DAVID K;
    Interesting that you mention Ayers Mills over in LAchute which is only 35kms North East of us....
    They were another victim of the times, off shore production closed them down years ago.
    The Ayers family were instrumental in building up the area in and around Lachute, very interesting history.
    I do have in my collection the S&W revolver, with Sam Brown that belonged to Major Ayers (with documentation) which is another piece of Canadian History.

id buy one as long as itisnt made in china

wow whats with all the people saying all buy them if they aint made in china lol if thats how you feel we dont need to see it he aint going to say o all get them made in canada but now there 300 bucks each. You better go threw everything you own and throw anything made in china in the garbage and see whats left
    RIP LGR