Thread: Musket pricing.

Musket pricing.

Hello, Please don't take the following question as a complaint or a rant. I'm mostly curious.

I have noticed that reproduction muskets from Italian companies like Perdesoli and Chiappa are very pricey. I didn't expect reproductions of Muskets that are pretty simple mechanically to cost so much and the model I'm most interested in is the Springfield 1861 Rifle Musket.

So I'm curious, what is contributing to the high price? I know Italian reproductions are of excellent quality, still $1200 for a reproduction 1861 seems abit steep. I'm wondering why.
    Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equals -Winston Churchill

Expired Business
    STORMWIND;
    "Please don't take the following question as a complaint or a rant. I'm mostly curious."
    Not at all, a very good question....

Unless one is in the trade and understands the numerous factors that add to the cost of producing a high quality replica the prices, at times, seem a bit high.

I can't speak for Chiappa but I can discuss Pedersoli with whom we have enjoyed a long relationship.

Let start with the wood used at Perdersoli, only air dried selec grades of hardwood;

For example a couple of yeards ago they introduced several of their frontier type long rifles with a maple stock, they had to import this to Italy as hard maple suitable for stocks has to come from North America, then you have to air dry it for 1-2 years to be certain it is stable, Perdersoli use only one piece stocks, just like the originals rather than two pieces like some of their competitors.... This can get expensive

When you look at even the entry level firearms they feature walnut, real walnut rather than satined "mystery wood" costly but it certainly adds to the apearance....

When you look at some of the De Luxe level of firearms they offer you will find that they feature some of the most figured high quality walnut seen anywhere.

Moving on to the metalwork, there are many ways to cut corners when making a firearm, you won't find them in a Pedersoli, they use the highest quality material in duplicating the period firarms they produce, they insist on having highly trained machinists and master gunsmiths in their factory none of these are cheap.

Much of the finishing at Perdersoli is done by hand, very evident in the finishe product.

Our gunsmiths spent time at the factory last year, he was mazed at the quality of the production as well as the pride each and every worker has in doing his job

To make a long story short, quality is expensive....As they say you get what you pay for.

I hope I have replied to your question in an informative way

John

Thanks for the explanation, I was also curious.