Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Herman the German

There is the Nigerian fig 11
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Disch&itbs=1

Guy with the life jacket
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    How about this? When our supply was cut off, I made some dimensionally identical targets out of tar paper, which really stands up well and can be used many times over. Quantity production was done with silk screening the scoring lines. The lines are visible via iron sights at 100 yds and those with young eyes can still reference them at 200. Now that everyone in service rifle is using optics, "contrast" isn't a problem with these targets.

One could also fill in the "5" ring with a white bull if so desired for even more of a standout aimpoint.

No politically incorrect human form either, should you have the misfortune of being at a "fudd" range.

Expired Business
    Gents, sorry for being MIA from CGN, we were in the process of moving. I am planning to meet with my artist this weekend, and hope to incorporate your suggestions/tweaks into a design by the end of the weekend/early next week.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Recce21's Avatar
    That's AWESOME. I love that target. I would buy.

Forget the stuck up fudds who poo poo on human form targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Targets View Post
    Gents, is the below posted image what you are looking for? Should we continue to develop this Idea?

That's AWESOME. I love that target. I would buy.

I think if you change the darker shading in the forward grip hand to light or white, and add some light shading on the magazine this will enhance distance shooting capability. Do the same to add light spots to the helmet. I think keeping the figure dark as above, but adding much lighter shaded or white highlights will increase visibility at range.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Targets View Post
    Gents, is the below posted image what you are looking for? Should we continue to develop this Idea?

good job

Your project got me motivated......

Here's another example of the principles of using only black and white for the greatest amount of contrast. Before every one accuses me of going all John Ross or James Wesley Rawles, lighting their hair on fire about the notion of using an image of a police officer as a target, consider two recent lone-wolf attacks where Anders Breivik (Norway Downtown Bomber/Island Gunman murdering 77 people) and James Holmes (Batman Theatre Gunman, murdering 12 people) dressed in a manner consistent with impersonating either a police officer or SWAT team member. Think wolf-in-sheeps-clothing and that there is a legitimate use for this type of target.

I've got some more refining to do, but the intersection of the MP5 and the support hand, or possibly enhancing the magazine a bit and using it's intersection with the support hand, makes a nice center for the scoring zones as well as providing a high contrast area that you can see clearly at some distance. I'll be die cutting this one from white faced cardboard, and printing the black components of the image on the cutout cardboard (like the bear above, but with white cardboard).

Have you guys done any more sketching? Would be very interested to see, if you have!

Cheers,

Brobee

Expired Business
    Currently I am down in the sunny US. This project is still in the works, and I will be following up with my artist when I get back. Thanks for your patience.

We will not be producing any tatgets that look anything like SWAT, ERT, SOG, politicians, religious leaders, etc. it offers nothing but problems and is not anything that we wish to introduce to the Canadian shooting scene. I understand your point but the benefit is very very small.

Fair Enough.

It got me wondering though....how far of a departure does it need to be before it becomes accepteble? Is it simply the label on the helmet that sets the identity of the target as SWAT/ERT/POLICE/SOG?

I suspect the style of the helmet and the type of firearm also play a large role, however before abandoning my initial illustration I made some minor modifications and was surprised how much it seemed to change the identity of the target:

Anyway, I'm starting to feel bad that I might be hijacking your thread, so I'll stop posting now and let you guys on with your work.

Best of luck!

Brobee
    Last edited by Brobee; 10-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Expired Business
    I understand your point, the reason it is different is the Herman the German is a very classic design used by our military.

I apologize for my lacking presence, I was in the US for a bit.