Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HST when shipping out of province?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CZ_Brno's Avatar

HST when shipping out of province?

I'm wondering why Mystic Precision charges HST when shipping to provinces like Manitoba? None of the other B.C. retailers I've dealt with do that.
    Brno Arms had and still has reputation for extremely talented designers, engineers, their DESIGN - WAY AHEAD OF OTHERS, WAY AHEAD OF TIME, UNCOMPROMIZING QUALITY, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OLD WORLD CRAFTSMANSHIP and long LASTING BEAUTY ~Brnomann

Good question. At the end of the year does the company send the H.S.T. to the province they are collecting on behalf? Must make for a lot of paperwork. Or maybe none at all!!
    Gun Control: A child's idea of a safe society.

CGN Regular
    If the destination province charges GST and a provincial sales tax, then an out of state shop should only be charging the GST portion.

If the destination province charges HST, then the shop would charge the entire HST, and remit it to the Feds, who remit the provincial portion to the province (if memory serves).

Since Manitoba charges GST and PST, the store shouldn't be charging you the PST portion.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CZ_Brno's Avatar
    I'm thinking charging the HST instead of making the necessary changes means less work at the till!
    Brno Arms had and still has reputation for extremely talented designers, engineers, their DESIGN - WAY AHEAD OF OTHERS, WAY AHEAD OF TIME, UNCOMPROMIZING QUALITY, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OLD WORLD CRAFTSMANSHIP and long LASTING BEAUTY ~Brnomann

Supporting Dealer
    We are to charge tax the same as the destination province.

Until you can show me a different ruling from Rev Can, that is what will show up on your invoice.

If I have logged in the coding wrong for your invoice, no problem. That happens. BUT the amount is whatever your province charges. You should see a HM in the tax coding column.

I don't like it anymore then anyone else. This whole thing was supposed to be easier. It isn't.

Instead of ONE value, I need to worry about 10 areas AND different if the product goes somewhere else then the purchasers province.

If you have an issue with your invoice, send me a pm or email with your invoice number. I now no idea who most of the monikers refer to.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Jerry
    Thats very odd, can you explain that?
    As if its true i owe CRA over $100k in taxs i forgot to charge.
    bbb

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Precision View Post
    We are to charge tax the same as the destination province.

Until you can show me a different ruling from Rev Can, that is what will show up on your invoice.

If I have logged in the coding wrong for your invoice, no problem. That happens. BUT the amount is whatever your province charges. You should see a HM in the tax coding column.

I don't like it anymore then anyone else. This whole thing was supposed to be easier. It isn't.

Instead of ONE value, I need to worry about 10 areas AND different if the product goes somewhere else then the purchasers province.

If you have an issue with your invoice, send me a pm or email with your invoice number. I now no idea who most of the monikers refer to.

Jerry

+1 on this (one of the things I actually know about ). If the company maintains a facility in the province and has a provincial tax number registered, then they are obligated to collect that provincial tax. HST is a federal tax and is treated like GST, so anybody with a GST number (pretty much any legal business in Canada) is obligated to collect the HST for any province they ship to. It is always based on the ship to address.

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    If the destination province charges GST and a provincial sales tax, then an out of state shop should only be charging the GST portion.

If the destination province charges HST, then the shop would charge the entire HST, and remit it to the Feds, who remit the provincial portion to the province (if memory serves).

Since Manitoba charges GST and PST, the store shouldn't be charging you the PST portion.
    Addicted to IPSC
    GRGC Member

BTW the only provinces that have HST are NS, NB, NF, ON, and BC. MB still has 5% GST plus a provincial RST tax of 7%. You can only charge MB RST if you maintain a facility in MB and have a MB RST tax number registered.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_dark View Post
    +1 on this (one of the things I actually know about ). If the company maintains a facility in the province and has a provincial tax number registered, then they are obligated to collect that provincial tax. HST is a federal tax and is treated like GST, so anybody with a GST number (pretty much any legal business in Canada) is obligated to collect the HST for any province they ship to. It is always based on the ship to address.
    Addicted to IPSC
    GRGC Member

Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Jerry
    bbb

Consult the Revenue Canada Web site (and get out your cheque book 'cause you owe the Feds a lot of money).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/hst-tvh/gds-eng.html

Here is an example from that site:
    A store in Alberta agrees to sell goods to a purchaser in Ontario. Based on the terms of delivery in the agreement for the sale of the goods, legal delivery of the goods to the purchaser occurs in Alberta. However, the supplier agrees to have the goods shipped to the purchaser in Ontario. Although legal delivery of the goods to the purchaser occurs in Alberta, delivery of the goods to the purchaser is considered to occur in Ontario because the supplier ships the goods to an address in Ontario. The supply of the goods is therefore made in Ontario and HST will apply at a rate of 13%.

Oh oh, Simon... That sounds like a sticky situation.

Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Jerry
    bbb
    * Side-note, glad I live in Alberta !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast