Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simple question: Open carrying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
    Even if carrying the unloaded, non-restricted, firearm downtown was legal, when there's more people around it would become more difficult not to accidentally break another law. For instance, if you accidentally point the muzzle at someone.

Also, if the police saw you, it may also result in them seeing you as a threat to their safety, which means it won't matter if your gun was legal or not. And if someone did get their hand slapped for shooting you down, it would be cold comfort for your family.

This man was carrying a perfectly legal whittling knife when he was gunned down by Seattle police.

Second squad car arrives.

Further to the above, you'd also need to check provincial and municipal regulations, as well as the criminal code. Just because the Federal Law doesn't prevent you from doing something, doesn't mean its not enforced differently at another level of government.
    I don't even know what to say. That cop ####ING EXECUTED that guy. There is no other way to look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfor View Post
    I don't even know what to say. That cop f**kING EXECUTED that guy. There is no other way to look at that.
    There are way too many videos like that on the internet, they're what started me on the road to hating cops....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco Pike View Post
    The only people in Canada who can conceal carry a pistol other than the Police and criminals are Judges, Politicians and another equally small group that eludes me at the moment.
    Freudian slip?
    "Trying, is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

"Ummm ahhhh errrr uhhhh" - Justin Trudeau

Quote Originally Posted by DougPeach View Post
    An interesting thought related to the op and responses.
    - how the !#*@ are we supposed to remove this stigma if we will be arrested (at best) for lawfully open carrying. Quite frustrating.
    I think better education(not just the liberal bull#### thought in schools) and slow shrinking of the gigantic state would help eventually.

Welcome to GUNNUTZ! Some folks tend to forget that this is a Newbie forum, thus Newbie questions...and thus get roasted. You'll get this $hit no matter what forum you're on or what you ask...questions on bear defence, is Glock the best? and just about anything that someone can take a cheapshot at, they will! Get used to it, but have fun as there are folks who really do want to help and will pass along some very good information.

Quote Originally Posted by KNO3- View Post
    Im with Dakk on this one, at least he didnt post it in the general or legal sections. There’s probably 50 posts a day that should be in the newb section. Also sometimes its easier to just ask people who know at the source instead of trying to find the info on your own. His questions are very straight forward and could be answered very simply, if you don’t have the time then don’t click on the thread. As for the search function, i find it way over complicated.

Here were telling him that ignorance of the law and a stigma about guns is the reason our gun laws are stupid but then were flaming him about asking about the laws? Isnt that counterproductive and hypocritical? Maybe he just moved up here from Texas where you can carry a gun without risking being shot. Maybe that’s why people are so ignorant of the laws, because every time a gun veteran is asked a question we look at them like idiots.

Flaming newbies does nothing for the Canadian gun community. I would say if you cant resist the urge to do it maybe dont browse the newbie section.

Maybe, if all of us had some spare time on a sunday or five in succession, we could do just what the op suggests, open carry, safely, legally and with a smile and the firearms act on hand. Inform people, the police, and do it nicely, in a non combative way. It would have to be done with the right people, there is 0 room for error. Maybe even paired with some kind of community event? Like a barbeque in the park or something? It seems like this might also work. I mean sure, the first time you would definately spend your sunday detained, maybe the second or third, but by the fourth they might start thinking, oh it's sunday. And that would be a pretty good start.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer reggie dunlop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by datnig View Post
    There are way too many videos like that on the internet, they're what started me on the road to hating cops....
    A cop hater eh? I've dealt with many of them and they all have a few things in common.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    I got "arrested" over an issue very close to this last weekend. I decided to save some cab money and get some exercise by walking to the range. So I grab my range bag, put my rifle in it's soft case I made, and start walking. I was a few blocks away when a cruiser pulled up in front of me, followed by two others. Seems that some lady had seen me, guessed I had a rifle, and got scared and called the police.

The officers had a fun time debating if my case was a legal container since I sewed it myself out of denim, then they arrested me for Careless Storage over the two loaded mags in my range bag. So they drive me back to the Mill Woods station, take all the junk in my pockets, and I almost cried a little when an officer walks in while putting on latex gloves. I thought I was going to get raped, but he just searched me. About a half hour later they gave me back my stuff, told me not to scare any more old ladies, asked what my orange tipped Spitzer ammo was since the arresting officer originally thought it was red tipped phosphorus. They were nice enough to give me a ride to the range so I didn't have to walk past the lady's house again.

The best part of the day was that the range was closed for IPSC on the 28th and 29th, so I couldn't shoot anyways. I died a little inside and got a cab home.

So, the moral of the story is to check that the damn range is open, and to stay away from old ladies who will call the cavalry on you. Definitely not my best Saturday, but it could have been worse. Guess this meant I need to buy a Keltec so it can just go in my range bag with everything else.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    IMO Factor in people's media induced fear of anyone with a gun, their ignorance of the law, and the cop's to match........

wear cammo, stay off the roads and trails, if you hear people or ATVs get off trail...... hide form the public..... or sooner or later some jackass will call the cops on you for legally having a long gun in a legal area legally hunting and they'll treat it like a madman with a gun incident.

Legal gun owners are pretty much lumped in with the illegal ones these days so you pretty much have to think like a wanted criminal to hunt without being treated like one.

This is based on 4 years of reading CGN postings int eh firearms media section, and personal experiences. Most people and cops may not be anti gun but it only takes 1.......
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast