Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Simple question: Open carrying...

BANNED
    "...after you've gotten your licence..." If you have one you'd know all this. No carrying or shooting restricted firearms anywhere but on an approved range. The use of long guns is not only covered by the FA, but also the Provincial hunting regs. You need to know what is in each.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.McCann View Post
    I walk from my home to a piece of crown land to hunt sometimes. I pass through two small towns on my walk. I usually have my long gun in a sock, but sometimes just strapped to my shoulder. I am usually wearing camo, and have a big red beard. (like the duck commanders long lost brother), so i dont think i really scare anybody. Ive done this walk down the side of the highway probably 50 times over the past 2 years with no problem at all, even get picked up when i hitch hike home on occasion. Of course ive had a hypothetical strategy in mind should i ever get a complaint or the wrong cop, of exaggerated compliance, and full disclosure....I wouldnt try hitch hiking with a shotgun slung to my back in Toronto, but the above should make it obvious enough that Toronto is not where i belong

As a side note; the one time i did see a cop as i walked past his speed trap. I made sure not to approach the vehicle, and keep my hands clear of my firearm. They gave a little nod too, to acknowledge my efforts and to let me know that they had no beef.
    Where 'near waterloo' are you that's within walking distance of crown land?I was sure that crown land was nonexistant south of peterborough.

So I realize the last post on this thread is about 3 years old... but I'm bumping it because when Googling, it's a top thread regarding the information, and I wished to share my own experiences.

I only own a bike, I don't wish to own a car, and I hope I never have to. I live in Southern Ontario about 30min from Toronto.

I bike ride everywhere with my gun (in a gun sock), I've never been stopped not once by police, (they have passed me while cycling dozens of times). Sometimes on the way to the farm, I have to stop at Canadian Tire and pick up some ammo. The manager knows I have my gun and told me to go have fun shopping. The last time I was at Timmies getting a coffee before heading to the farm, the girl behind the counter asked what kind of gun I had, and we ended up having a lovely conversation about firearms. Goose season last year I biked home to the downtown core with 2 geese over my shoulders (I don't have a bike trailer, so I just tied their heads together with paracord). No problems at all.

I just carry my pal on me, and generally I'm a polite person. Just never really had an issue. Sometimes I wonder if things are only issues when people make them issues.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Who View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if things are only issues when people make them issues.
    A lot of it has to do with attitude. And there are some people with a lot of it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Glad to hear your experiences! Sounds like you may live in or near one of the smaller towns surrounding Toronto and are a "visible minority" to the
    rest of the local community because of riding your bicycle so that the police know "of " you and don't stop you and check you out.

What would happen to the rest of us is: We would get spotted carrying around a rifle, we would be a stranger, someone would call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    A lot of it has to do with attitude. And there are some people with a lot of it.
    I think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Nicholson View Post
    Glad to hear your experiences! Sounds like you may live in or near one of the smaller towns surrounding Toronto and are a "visible minority" to the
    rest of the local community because of riding your bicycle so that the police know "of " you and don't stop you and check you out.

What would happen to the rest of us is: We would get spotted carrying around a rifle, we would be a stranger, someone would call 911.
    Well the farm I go to, I have to trap groundhogs and they give me vegetables every week in return. So I'm sure one of these days I'll get stopped just based on the frequency that I travel with my firearms while cycling. My plan... just be polite, and hand over my pal. I do have a printout from the RCMP website showing what is necessary for the transportation of non-restricted firearms. That's just a worst case scenario if the officer doesn't know the laws or something, I can show him/her the printout.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Who View Post
    Well the farm I go to, I have to trap groundhogs and they give me vegetables every week in return. So I'm sure one of these days I'll get stopped just based on the frequency that I travel with my firearms while cycling. My plan... just be polite, and hand over my pal. I do have a printout from the RCMP website showing what is necessary for the transportation of non-restricted firearms. That's just a worst case scenario if the officer doesn't know the laws or something, I can show him/her the printout.
    Being prepared will save you time and frustration, and the officer will respect you for it. Brings a good image about the shooting community.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Being prepared will save you time and frustration, and the officer will respect you for it. Brings a good image about the shooting community.
    Plus one on this. Dr. Who, you are good to go! Glad to have such a polite young fellow join CGN.

One more thing, make an introduction post in the "Greetings" section so that you actually join CGN.

Do that and you'll end up raising our taxes to pay for the response. http://infotel.ca/newsitem/man-with-...hunter/it14184

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/322709101.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...park-1.2780338

and I'm sure the list goes on. I carried my rifle in a soft case all over Surrey one day while riding my motorcycle. Was headed to a gunsmith. Never had any problems, Not even when I had a cop follow me for about 5 minutes. Never got pulled over.
    I ride a m/c. If you TEXT, drive and injure or kill me. Well my dad says life is not worth living. I don't know if that means him or you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    Do that and you'll end up raising our taxes to pay for the response. http://infotel.ca/newsitem/man-with-...hunter/it14184

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/322709101.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...park-1.2780338

and I'm sure the list goes on. I carried my rifle in a soft case all over Surrey one day while riding my motorcycle. Was headed to a gunsmith. Never had any problems, Not even when I had a cop follow me for about 5 minutes. Never got pulled over.
    My gun sock works well.

My only mode of transportation is cycling... so it is what it is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345