Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target dimensions for 50bmg?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Otokiak's Avatar

Target dimensions for 50bmg?

I'm curious what others use for 50BMG targets? Im' actually looking for what would be considered the correct dimensions on a target as I'd make some up with steel, paint and place them at 250, 500, 750 and 1000 yards to shoot my PGW50. Any help appreciated. Thank you my fellow CGNer's,

Otokiak
    Rankin Inlet, NU
    CANADA
    "Life is grande, even at the worst of times!"

"Don't let anyone in your way of what you wanna be, be your own boss, you lead, don't let them lead you, believe in yourself and you'll find what you've always been looking for..."

"Ooh tha lord!" ... said when I met my Avatar's set of snoobies ...

Check out the first two in this link:

http://www.inrangesupplies.com/index...st&order=price

Pricey things, they are!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    PM Mattmoser on this board.

He has near identical targets for 1/4 of the price, and have stood up extremely well against fmj 660 grain 50BMG
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

I'll make my own with steel and shizznat ... I just need some dimensions as I'm sure at 1000 yards a target is hard to see if too small.

Otokiak
    Rankin Inlet, NU
    CANADA

"Don't let anyone in your way of what you wanna be, be your own boss, you lead, don't let them lead you, believe in yourself and you'll find what you've always been looking for..."

Smile

In that case, take the average grouping of your rifles at 100 meters and add 30-50% size. Multiply it by the number of hundreds of meters you want to shoot at. The extra size will make it easier to get on steel during the start of the day. I find 20"x30" is plenty for me with most of my guns at 1000 meters.

Cheers.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

id cut out a plate 20x30 and paint it neon orange. When shooting at a 1000 yards id tape a 10" white paper target to the plate. At 800 yards it would be 8" white paper target. 1" at 100 yards is 1moa. If you miss you at leased hear it gong. You could just cut out 10" plates for 1000 yards, 8" for 800 and so on?

Also, if you want to have a bit of fun, cut two squares from the top, making an 8" square head. Paint angry face on it, commence headshots if you are a good enough shooter.

Here is roughly 20x30 steel at 600m, 800m, 1km to give you a good idea of the actual size you will see. Pics are taken through a 20x scope.

Same targets, but at the right of the scope you can just make out the 1 mile target.

Use AR-500 if you can get a hold of it. The stuff is near indestructable. This is all a 50BMG does to it at every distance we fired at it from... peels the paint is is still smooth to the touch, not even a dimple or dent. Plasma cutting would be nessisary though...

Use 1/2" steel too, it will ring like a bell when hit, so you will know you hit even at extreme range. If you use heavy 3/4 or 1" stuff, you will only get a thud, which does not travel well back to your location, making it difficult to hear. Here is a vid I took of 1/2" AR500 on one of the above gongs.

[youtube]epIoebHBpDA[/youtube]

Thanks guys!

Otokiak
    Rankin INlet, NU
    CANADA

I am running a 24" x 36" for what i consider long range.

[youtube]0jsoryAXLxQ[/youtube]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast