Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: James River Armory M1 Garands

Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    What am I looking for exactly?

I assume mine is a Criterion.. the barrel stamp is "SA Fxxxxxxx 1 5 P m" and finishes with what looks like a star with three dots above it. The "SA" has me scratching my head a bit.
    looks like a springfield barrel..

if you send me a pic i should be able to discern a year.

i'm sure if it was a criterion barrel, there should be 'CB' there somewhere...sometimes no markings at all

Quote Originally Posted by Clubhopper View Post

i'm sure if it was a criterion barrel, there should be 'CB' there somewhere...sometimes no markings at all
    PM sent...thanks !

I'll check mine and see what it says....As far as I'm concerned the rifle should have a Criterion barrel..!!!!

The barrel on this one has SA Fxxxxxxx 2 55 A218B plus star shape & 3 dots in a square..
    Last edited by tommyinbc; 10-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyinbc View Post
    I'll check mine and see what it says....As far as I'm concerned the rifle should have a Criterion barrel..!!!!

The barrel on this one has SA Fxxxxxxx 2 55 A218B plus star shape & 3 dots in a square..
    checked again and mine also has the "star" stamp in a box...3 dots above

That is a US Department of Defense Acceptance proof. Yours is an Springfield dated Feb 1955. No need to block out those numbers F6535448 if i'm not mistaken. Those are drawing numbers.

Mine just says SA-7-51

vermintrex: pm replied...best i can do.

That is a US Department of Defense Acceptance proof. Yours is an Springfield dated Feb 1955. No need to block out those numbers F6535448 if i'm not mistaken. Those are drawing numbers.

Mine just says SA-7-51

vermintrex: pm replied...best i can do.
    Thanks for the info..Appreciate it..So, the upshot is (unless I'm missing something here) is that Wanstalls are selling these rifles saying they have a Criterion barrel and they do not..They obviously need to change their advertising or get the right product from JRA. As someone who's bought one on Friday I'm left wondering...Do I make a fuss about it, or be happy with the SA barreL..? Umnnn....Perhaps Gary at Wanstalls is following this thread anyway..
    PS...Only block out those numbers as its easier to xxxxx with my eyesight..

yes thanks for details clubhopper, much appreciated. I look at JRA web site and they have 5 different M1 Garand on sale and on some it has the new criterion Barrel and on other its arsenal reissue . I wondering which one is deliver to Wanstalls ? As for me, I expect to get a new criterion, I am waiting my M1903A4 and JRA restore only one type and she comes with a new criterion. I will be happy with either type anyway lol
    Last edited by catapult; 10-21-2012 at 06:48 PM.

from the info I've gathered today...I do not have a Criterion barrel...looks like it's a 50's re-arsenal. Looks great..can't see any issues with it. But...I paid for a Criterion.

Expried Business Member
    Perhaps Gary at Wanstalls is following this thread anyway..
    You bet...Our original shipment in the spring and what this thread originated from was Criterion barreled Garands, but we received US GI barrels due to availability at that time. We have received US GI's ever since. We changed the price to reflect that, as the Criterion models are $50(ish) more and are available in small quantities from what they tell me. I have a call into JRA this morning, if anyone wants to hold out for a Criterion barrel Garand, PM me and let me know. Ill bring some in as quick as I can, checking for ETA and will post here later today. Based on what people were telling us on the last couple of shipments, they preferred to original re-issue to the new barrels ...Either way we'd be happy to bring in more!

Was able to bring in a Winchester Receiver model this time and will try to get some other models as well...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    You bet...Our original shipment in the spring and what this thread originated from was Criterion barreled Garands, but we received US GI barrels due to availability at that time. We have received US GI's ever since. We changed the price to reflect that, as the Criterion models are $50(ish) more and are available in small quantities from what they tell me. I have a call into JRA this morning, if anyone wants to hold out for a Criterion barrel Garand, PM me and let me know. Ill bring some in as quick as I can, checking for ETA and will post here later today. Based on what people were telling us on the last couple of shipments, they preferred to original re-issue to the new barrels ...Either way we'd be happy to bring in more!

Was able to bring in a Winchester Receiver model this time and will try to get some other models as well...

Gary
    Hey Gary...
    Thanks for the clarification. From my stand point and based on reseach/preferance its not an issue, but there's a few of us who (based on the spec previously posted) assumed it would be Criterion. Like others before, its nice to have a SA barrel.
    You've probably already done it, but just need to change the original spec on the forum, so there's no future issues.
    Its a superb rifle....Keep em' coming..