Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: James River Armory M1 Garands

Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    Lol. Lots of interesting facts in this thread! But lets stay on topic, when are more of these going to be available?

Kirk
    Motion carried, make it so
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------O

Reloaders just want their ammo to go bang, Handloaders want all their rounds through the same hole.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Janeau View Post
    First- I do not buy it as a collectible. Yes, i did purchase, like you, Garand at $350 and sold them for $1000 a few year after. What make you think that the JRA Garand will not hike in price at the same rate ( even better) than a beater Garand ? A like new Garand will hold it's value equal or even better than an old part gun. I get guns to shoot them - not to let them sit in the safe or to make money. If the market is such that I make money on it when I sell it - fine. But right now - I am getting a like new - SAFE - Garand with a new MATCH barrel, refinished, new stock and all, and build by a professional gunsmith that know Garand, for $1600. If I had to build one up - just importing the good parts will be a big pain in the aXX and even after the build, and it will not be equal to a JRA or Fulton.
    Many pay BIG $$ to get a match barrel on Garand or just to replace a shot out barrel. One says that the only accurate gun are interesting and I subscribe to that. For the real collectors, it is another story. In am not in this sport to hit barn doors at 50 feet.
    Well Criterion barrels are only $250, and not exactly match grade....upgrade from wartime USGI barrel for sure. And the price was $1700, next batch will be closer to $2k by the sounds of it. I guess we just have to wait and see if they really are worth $2k and if they will go up in value after being fired...
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Undergiver's Avatar
    well if the new price is going to be close to 2K, there is now way I'm paying that for a $1250.00 rifle in the U.S. 750.00 markup is to much to swallow....
    UCP member
    CPC member

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    Well Criterion barrels are only $250, and not exactly match grade....upgrade from wartime USGI barrel for sure. And the price was $1700, next batch will be closer to $2k by the sounds of it. I guess we just have to wait and see if they really are worth $2k and if they will go up in value after being fired...
    Such a pill...........

How much do you think the next batch of M1 Garands will price out at if these one's were priced wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    A Kreiger barrel for a Garand is $300. Criterion barrel are made on the same equipment by experienced Kreiger employee. $250 is priced right. No matter that, ANY new barrel will shoot better than an old GI barrel and on that, I agree with you. As for retaining it's value..I have no doupt that a refurbished to like new condition Garand - will retain it's value better than any beater from unknow origin. There is plently of people that will pay for like new - refurbished Garand, proof : all JRA Garand imported by Wanstall were sold in record time !!

Consider that beater are priced in the $1600 to 2 K on CGN !! I prefer a safe gun over any of those. When you buy a Garand in Canada, you do not know what you get.

In the USA, if you get it trough the CMP program ( Only US Citizen ) at least they get it from Military inventory, even if they are arsenal refurbished a few times around since the received was made. They are safe, at least, when they hand them down.

Facts are :the Garand are old, were used a lot and were all refurbished at one time or another, with parts from various manufacturer and different barrel makers.

The JRA are a steal...I getting mine this week - Thanks Gary !!

and i thought I was going to save money this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by live4therut View Post
    You mean in 18 years I can't sell this and pay for my kids tuition? Damn. Who said anything about collectability? My question was simple what recievers were they being built on, instead of an legitimate answer I got a bunch of jibber jabber and an opinion that I could give two s**ts about. I have enough collector garands as it is now and it's more then then 2 so anyone on here that got one it would be nice to share what kind of reciever yours is built on, again probably SA but who knows
    mine is an SA receiver.
    you are entering a world of pain!

About Criterion barrel..some infos from their web site:

<Criterion Barrels, Inc. was started in 1999 from Krieger Barrels, Inc. in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality match grade barrels at a lower cost. Initially began as a division of Krieger, Criterion is now a sister company- independent, yet sharing resources and continual support.>

<Criterion rifle barrels are match grade. Our 30+ years of experience and shared history with Krieger have given us a true understanding of what match grade means. Uniformity of the bore dimension, groove dimension, and twist, along with the finish produced by hand lapping are essential for the ultimate accuracy of the barrel. With our expertise we are able to control these factors and deliver an unbelievably accurate match grade barrel at a reasonable price.>

Criterion barrels are button rifled vs single point cut Kreiger. The CMP uses criterion barrels and new stocks in their refurbished Special Grade rifles. However I am unsure if the the CMP refurbished rifles are built with the attention to detail as JRA or Fulton.

I found this article online. I'm not sure how valid it is, but it shows Criterion is not a push over when it comes to accuracy.
    http://www.precisionshooting.com/psm_2010_08_frame.html