Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 5.56 rifle right now?

Best 5.56 rifle right now?

What's the best 5.56 I can get right now in Canada that isn't the Tavor, B&T or Bren?

I know everyone recommends those 3 but I'm on a budget, at the same time I don't want absolute garbage.

the Keltec RDB and SU16 seem to be pretty decent for the price
    Live free or die

CGN Regular
    What is your budget?
    CCFR and CSSA Member

Like something under 2500 with taxes in. Is the MCR or R18 legit and reliable? Or is there anywhere that has T97 in stock or will it ever be in stock again?

I have pretty much every non restricted semi auto available. For the less expensive MCR is fine for a range toy you might get a stoppage that requires some disassembly if you slam a mag in too hard It is heavy and is fairly accurate. Keltec su 16 is nice and light seems to be reliable, older ones were known to fail, and fairly accurate. T97 is very reliable, has a weird location for the safety, mine is only accurate with some loads most are not very accurate. The Benelli MR1 reliable but not as accurate as other options.

That pretty much covers the less expensive non restricted semi auto. I will give an honorable mention to the ruger american ranch. Yes it is a bolt action so your split times will be maybe 20 hundredths of a second longer working the bolt. But it has a nicer trigger and is more accurate then any of the above and more accurate than other more expensive 223 non restricted.

Of the less expensive 223 options if you were doing 3 gun competition probably look at the mcr or the keltec or the MR1. The goofy safety and weird mag change of the type 97 will slow your times a bit. Now if are preparing for a post apocalypse book of elijiah affair the T 97 would be my pick. It will likely work when others might fail and the weird safety at the end of days well

To paraphrase a scene from black hawk down. "Delta or no Delta that is a hot weapon safety on at all times in base" "this is my safety sir"

Thank you for the detailed response! I should have mentioned I want a semi auto.

Is the T97 ever going to be in stock again? And any thoughts on the SL8?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBD View Post
    I have pretty much every non restricted semi auto available. For the less expensive MCR is fine for a range toy you might get a stoppage that requires some disassembly if you slam a mag in too hard It is heavy and is fairly accurate. Keltec su 16 is nice and light seems to be reliable, older ones were known to fail, and fairly accurate. T97 is very reliable, has a weird location for the safety, mine is only accurate with some loads most are not very accurate. The Benelli MR1 reliable but not as accurate as other options.

That pretty much covers the less expensive non restricted semi auto. I will give an honorable mention to the ruger american ranch. Yes it is a bolt action so your split times will be maybe 20 hundredths of a second longer working the bolt. But it has a nicer trigger and is more accurate then any of the above and more accurate than other more expensive 223 non restricted.

Of the less expensive 223 options if you were doing 3 gun competition probably look at the mcr or the keltec or the MR1. The goofy safety and weird mag change of the type 97 will slow your times a bit. Now if are preparing for a post apocalypse book of elijiah affair the T 97 would be my pick. It will likely work when others might fail and the weird safety at the end of days well

To paraphrase a scene from black hawk down. "Delta or no Delta that is a hot weapon safety on at all times in base" "this is my safety sir"
    But an MR1 can mount a bayonet!

"Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dorian Gray's Avatar
    Buy a used X95 and call it a day.

I have been a firearms enthusiast for over 30 years buying and selling. My observation Canada is a fairly small market an importer will cobble together some money try and get all the necessary approvals and risk a container of something interesting. It eventually like maybe years or never shows up. If it does he distributes to other retailers. So or awhile every one and there dog will have inventory but eventually the interesting modern sporting rifles will all sell out so it might be years or never before than return. So unlikely that you will see a new T 97 available again.

SL 8 while it looks cool I do not have as it takes expensive nearly unattainable 5 round magazines. There is an expensive nearly unattainable magwell conversion for stanag magazines.

If I were buying today I would give most consideration to the su-16 tactical as it is widely available now. In a few or several months they will all likely sell out then it will likely be another decade or never that keltec does another special canadian run again.

If it would fit your budget the x95 would be fine for any modern sporting rifle purpose and would probably function reliably post apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    Buy a used X95 and call it a day.
    The used market is broken, guys are selling used stuff more than the brand new price, it's absolutely insane.

Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast