Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is this really how you (and your retailers) treat customers?

Been there...prices too high, probably to cover the decorations on the walls. Cust service stank. They have a "gunsmith" operation out back they should have fixed the chinese crap and saved a few dozen customers. it's really sad because we need more (any) quality retailers out here, but alas my guess is out of business in 3...2....1...
    The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by parkervh View Post
    Been there...prices too high, probably to cover the decorations on the walls. Cust service stank. They have a "gunsmith" operation out back they should have fixed the chinese crap and saved a few dozen customers. it's really sad because we need more (any) quality retailers out here, but alas my guess is out of business in 3...2....1...
    Their prices seemed pretty decent as far as local shops are concerned, especially considering they are right in the city and leasing that massive store has to cost them big time.

A couple of the employees there seemed to be extremely knowledgeable and others behind the gun counter seemed to know next to nothing.

The one good thing about these forums is that there is no shortage of opinions on these sort of matters.

What I do find surprising is the so called 'level of protection' many seem to think that they are entitled to, through contract law, or even consumer protection legislation, especially after the fact, or when there has been an unsatisfactory purchase.

One of the factors in this is the mismatch of supply to demand. Witness the fact that virtually any advertisement of a particular firearm by forum dealers brings a virtual feeding frenzy of gunnutz willing to compromise their financial future to buy the latest deal, some of which have well known and documented problems.

While many of the vendors have very good ethics whet dealing with purchasers, the less than ethical will not really care, because they know that there are people out there that do not do their homework, and are likely to buy on impulse, more than on an informed basis. This is why consumer protection legislation exists.

Even with this sort of legislation, the playing field is slanted heavily in the favour of the manufacturer/vendor. Two quick examples of this from the automotive world: New Ford F250/350 diesels that have premature head gasket failure between 60 to 120K, the repair requiring the dealer to remove the entire cab in order to get at the engine to repair. Another example is the Chevy Astro van fuel pump issue. Those that have accidentally run the pump dry will know how absurd the repair is for this van. The pump is actually in the tank, and requires the removal of the tank because access to the pump is from the top. Even though the part that fails in the pump costs 15 cents to make, it is not available to purchase, so the entire pump must be replaced at approximately 800 dollars, plus all the necessary labour to access the pump. These auto manufacturers do this purposefully, in order to enable their dealerships to extract the maximum amount of money from their customers. Consumers should be screaming at the top of their lungs at this sort of retarded engineering and design.

Many of us on this site are against the nanny state getting in our business when it comes to personal freedoms. But should we need protection from each other, we scream about the laws that are not being enforced. Especially when we are the ones responsible for this in the first place. I am sure that some of us see the hypocrisy in this, while some will not.

The point I was making as a response to this post was simple. In light of a known defect with the merchandise being purchased, the purchaser chose not to secure guarantees from the vendor regarding said defect, even though he was advised of the possibility of this defect's existence. I understand the principle of good faith, but in this case, good faith doesn't seem to be worth the cost of reparations.

Too many people post about being victims after the fact, when they have not done their homework, or obtained guarantees to protect their investment.

I see equal fault on both sides here.
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
    Member: CSSA, CCFR

μολὼν λαβέ

CGN frequent flyer
    Yeah I would harass the store till i got a refund. They sold you damaged goods that failed to perform as advertised. Now as far as paying shipping for warranty thats to be expected.

///////////////////DERAIL WARNING\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

As a licensed mechanic I have to say Anyad Pitchaya is mistaken with regards to his automotive examples. Firstly removing the cab on most newer ford pick up trucks is faster than working in the engine bay. My former coworker is one of the guys who figured that out. When auditing warranty times if ford notices that they regularly pay more in flat rate hours than the job takes they adjust the flat rate value of the job. They basically knocked a third of the hours off that job so the customer now pays less than before. And with regards to the astro van fuel pump, almost all fuel pumps on modern vehicles are now in tank (can't think of one thats not ATM) and 99% are on top of the tank because all seals eventually fail and no one wants a driveway full of fuel. The reason astro vans go through so many fuel pumps isn't outright failure (which plenty do) but the engines over sensitivity to fuel pressure. 5psi under spec and the poppet valves wont open. And last but not least the part that fails on the fuel pump sender unit totally or partially is the electric pump motor itself which is the most expensive part in the unit anyways. What it costs to manufacture doesn't matter because you can't make one yourself and therefore most quality companies charge what the market will bear.

Two lessons learned - now you know:

1. Where NOT to shop.
    - a dealer that sells you a defective-from-the-supplier high dollar item and won't help you rectify the problem should be put out of business and fast.
    - North Sylva Co. has quality control problems if they are shipping products with known issues and perhaps they should be avoided as well if this is their best response.

2. read the warranty BEFORE money changes hands.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HKMark23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R005t3r View Post
    Reading the entire post will save you the taste of shoe leather.
    :D Perhaps you should do the reading. Of course the rifle didn't work for crying out loud its the reason for it that was preempted.

Hows the rubber on those Cajun Reeboks ?
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Polar Man's Avatar
    NS (if you use the EE, add your province here at the very least!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyad Pitchaya View Post

The point I was making as a response to this post was simple. In light of a known defect with the merchandise being purchased, the purchaser chose not to secure guarantees from the vendor regarding said defect, even though he was advised of the possibility of this defect's existence.
    This I found a little strange as well. There is a good chance they had no idea the gun had issues, but the buyers friend sure as hell did. I have a feeling if he brought it up before it was purchased they would have had no clue what he was talking about.

I know from experience they don't have the knowledge of firearms that some of us have here. Saying that, I believe that the buyer should be allowed to return the firearm for a refund.
    The only free society is an armed society.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    This is what happens when far too many gunshops closed thier doors literally decades ago in the Dartmouth/Halifax area. I can remember guns for sale at Woolco in the Penhorn Mall, Eatons and Sport Check at the MicMac Mall, at least three pawnshops in Dartmouth alone and the little sporting goods store just up the road from a bakery near the road to Preston. Three CTs sold guns/ammo also. Sears in the Halifax Shopping Centre. I'm sure I'm missing a few here.
    And guarenteed, they all took returns for defective newly sold products.
    IMO, now these far fewer newest gunshops in one fairly large Eastern Canadian city, now can hold the locals "hostage" to substandard over the counter service. Hnatiucks has p@ssed people off too often down there. I've heard mixed results from Army&Navy on Agricola Street. Exception, for that little one beyond Purcell's Cove Road on the Halifax side. (good service and a fair stock of reloading gear) Thank God Peter Hirsch is down there for high quality optics and match ammo at Lake Echo!! And I have no idea either way, how Freedom Ventures fits in, or does not fit in here.

By online instead, hit these transgressors in the pocket book until these gunshops smarten up.
    I remember those stores... Lovetts was the one you are thinking about on the road to Preston... Don't forget Green Diamond (John Deere) sells both restricted and non-restricted. I've been to the BBS in both Dartmouth and Moncton. I prefer Moncton, though Dartmouth is larger...
    Jason

"I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me." - Fred Allen
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

CGN Regular

A little out of HRM, but...

Quote Originally Posted by daroccot View Post
    I remember those stores... Lovetts was the one you are thinking about on the road to Preston... Don't forget Green Diamond (John Deere) sells both restricted and non-restricted. I've been to the BBS in both Dartmouth and Moncton. I prefer Moncton, though Dartmouth is larger...
    There's a "new" one in Truro now too. "Hunt Outdoors" east of the malls. They are probably a lot more into customer service/satisfaction right now. It probably takes a while for places to get a little sour or slack off on "above and beyond" service.

I was in there right as they opened up. Apparently it's doing well. Anybody else been in there and can say what they're like?

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    There's a "new" one in Truro now too. "Hunt Outdoors" east of the malls. They are probably a lot more into customer service/satisfaction right now. It probably takes a while for places to get a little sour or slack off on "above and beyond" service.

I was in there right as they opened up. Apparently it's doing well. Anybody else been in there and can say what they're like?
    Great little shop.
    It's in the Old Canadian Tire store at 50 Juniper Street.