Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding Crown Land in BC

Just a little clarification, it's Forebay for those who will be GPS'ing it.

Was up at Forebay shooting today and a Timber West lackey came by and said they were shutting down shooting up there. I might be mistaken, but I think the BC Libs have give over control of the Crown lands to logging companies to pretty much do with as they please.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    duncan....its just north of duncan. I cant remember the turn. have too google it. Duncan rod and gun

I would bet, the real reason is the mag dump SKS crowd dont clean up after themselves, once they have killed those watermellons and squash.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

get a bc backroad mabook, never have to worry again.
    When I die, my atoms will come undone; ill be space dust, once again. The wind will carry me; Scatter me everywhere; Like dandelions in the springtime. Ill visit worlds and alien moons; It will be so damn poetic... Until I land on your sandwich.

BANNED
    You note how old the post is?

This is kind of BS if you ask me. I use that area all the time in fact it's great hunting too at times. Lots of bird hunting, and I've heard bear and deer too. When I was out that way on the weekend April 06, 2014 a sign that says "The discharge of firearms is prohibited in the Jordan River vicinity Please report violations to RCMP: 250-642-5241" This sign was posted by the CRD and looks official to me.

I'd post a pic of it but I don't know how yet :P
    Last edited by Arjento; 04-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Ubique

Fore Bay was my go-to spot for weekend shooting, but a buddy of mine called me and told me about the new sign that is up. Jordan River isn't really all that close to my home in Victoria, but it's the closest spot I could find to shoot safely and what I thought was legally. It's either there or the range, which is usually crowded or booked for something. I called the Sooke RCMP last week to figure out what's going on, and the guy told me very sternly that shooting was only allowed at a proper range. I know that's bull####, but I was on my lunch break at work so I just got what I could out of him. He said that they had been confiscating guns and licences FOR LIFE. He said that since it was private property, and not crown land, it had always been illegal to shoot there. I asked him for alternatives, and he said to go to a range.

I understand what he's saying but I think that taking guns and licences is pretty brutal. People go all the way out there thinking that it is one of the only legal places to get out in nature and shoot. It's very rare to not run into other people out having a nice day shooting. I've been out there with families who are just out having a nice day (kids shooting little .22 cals). It really pisses me off to imagine the RCMP rolling up and taking all of someone's guns (how many thousands of dollars?), their licences, and basically telling them to #### off. The RCMP officer I talked to spoke in a completely emotionless and uncompromising manner, like we're criminals who need to be stopped and deserve to be punished.

I have a back roads map book and it does not identify crown land. If anyone has any solutions or any other sources of information, please share. Some of the best days of my life have been spent out at Jordan River shooting with friends, and now I can never go back. The reason I love living on Vancouver Island is that I can get out and enjoy nature, and I know I'm not alone in this.

this tool used in conjunction with google earth is the only thing i've found that tells you were crown land is. Last time I checked, it showed forebay road past the power lines as crown land.

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/

Alright I got the tool to work, it's just really slow. I'll post pictures of crown land here asap.
    Last edited by SovietSoldier; 04-17-2014 at 09:38 PM.

yea you need a good comp and good internet for it to work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast