Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS Troubleshooting

SKS Troubleshooting

In July I received my Chinese SKS, I love it and even with the following issue, I still love it. The SKS shoots great, very little recoil and Using only front and rear sights, I had good groupings. This issue I have is as follows, I will explain the mod's I did first.

Over the last month and a half, I have added a return spring to the firing pin (Kelly's Gunsmithing, great product) and installed a ATI Strikeforce stock. All this was easily accheived, the only trouble encountered was when I removed the gas tube to remove the wood stock and install the composite stock. I was finding it hard to push the lever back in place that holds the gas tube in place (Succeeded after gently tapping on top and pushing on lever at the same time. The problem I am having, is after I have fired 4 or five rounds, the lever pops up and I have to use the above procedure to re seat the lever. Is anyone else encountering this and if so what can be done to remedy this. I am for the short term going to lockwire the lever in place using .25 inconnel lock wire and attach it to the accessory lugs included in the stock kit.

If anyone has any information or better idea's Please respond to my thread.

Bigmoe

i had the same issue i ended up filling down the ATI till it fit i sounds like the lever is not fully down and locked

I encountered the same issue and it maybe one of stock assembly. I found if I removed the trigger assembly, magazine and then lifted the rifle out of the stock a little I was able to install the top gas tube gaurd and lock easily. Then push the rifle back into the stock, install the magazine and trigger assembly. There seems to be a small arch in the stock that puts pressure on the upper gaurd. Just my two cents - hope it helps.

GunFan2101

Thanks Hamerd and Gunfan,

I think this is helpful. and yes I had the lever down to where the lever indents were aligned with the notches. I will push the lever down all the way it will go and see if that helps. Carry my lockwire just in case,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    This is not SKS troubleshooting, this is Babba troubleshooting. The SKS worked fine until you molested it.
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

I'm living in the sticks on an acreage West of Edmonton
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    This is not SKS troubleshooting, this is Babba troubleshooting. The SKS worked fine until you molested it.
    Thanks for all your help
    I was tactical before it was cool

This is why you don't put #### plastic stocks on SKS's.
    Now here's the deal boys, it's just like shooting trap but the clays are coming at you... and they're grenades.

Gillen & Fiddler, never fired it with the wood stock on, as I wanted to get the new firing pin with return spring installed first, as far as I know the same thing might have happened even then as I did not change any of those components, just installed the cosmetic upgrades. new firing pin works great, you do not have to like the new stocks but negative comments should be kept to yourself. My FN C1 and my C7 never had such problems and, my god, the C7 has a composite stock to. Military wouldn't have gone to them if they thought there were issues.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dand883's Avatar
    I had the same thing, but it did it with the wood stock as well as the tapco with the wood hand grip still on it. I am guessing during the refurb they had some mis matched parts and you can see where they filed the ramp down a bit so the lever would pass over and hold down the gas tube, but man you needed to squeeze the thing in a vice to hold it down far enough, so i filed a bit off the under side of the wood hand grip, which is what was holding it up, and a bit extra on the ramp on top and now it fits in alot easier

Don't buy chinese

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast