Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 16 round Shotgun SRM 1216

Quote Originally Posted by CristianM View Post
    1. If capping at 5 is for [B]centrefire semi-auto rifles...?
    I specifically said semi-auto centrefire...I deliberately left out the word rifles. But it's a moot point since someone mentioned they already made a ruling on it.

It's too bad really, things like this, that Akdal (deemed AR variant?) I saw in another forum, and other interesting semi's are getting shafted. In turn, we get denied the option of cool toys

CGN Regular
    Now to make a pump gun with a helical mag like the old calicos.

I wonder if you could get it with just an independent tube magazine instead of the entire 4 tube rotating magazine. Than maybe couple 4 "separate" tube magazines together, since that's no different than coupling ar mags together .

Hey guys, thanks for starting the discussion about our 1216.

@ljh...Our shotgun isn't like the KSG. The 1216 is semi-auto, 16+1 rounds, and has a lot of features the KSG doesn't offer. Not only that, but it's almost impossible to get a hold of the KSG.

@cadgo...which bad reviews are you referring to?

@tactical_pete...thanks for your thoughts, but how does it look like a nightmare? I'd be happy to clear up any misunderstandings for you.

@gunslingr...It's only a little over 7lbs unloaded. Loaded, it's not much more. I think you'd be surprised how light it is if you held on in your hand.

Again thanks for the feedback and looking forward to talking more with you guys!

Jason

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DJdeadlyDALEK's Avatar
    It'd be fun to try it out down in the States....it would be useless up here with our current mag restrictions, though

Check my latest started threads for current firearms up for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by CristianM View Post
    1. If capping at 5 is for centrefire semi-auto rifles only and if pump shotguns have no limit, how is it for semi-auto shotguns?

2. Now, getting to the discrepancy: is the KSG 7+7+1 or 6+6+1?

3. So, for sure the KSG doesn't need to be capped? Not even when hunting with it?
    1. A shotgun IS center fire. Every center fire semi auto firearm is restricted to 5 rounds magazines. Every center fire manual action firearm is not. This isn't complicated.

2. No idea.

3. Hunting regs dictate that, not firearms laws.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by SRM_Arms View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for starting the discussion about our 1216.

@ljh...Our shotgun isn't like the KSG. The 1216 is semi-auto, 16+1 rounds, and has a lot of features the KSG doesn't offer. Not only that, but it's almost impossible to get a hold of the KSG.

@cadgo...which bad reviews are you referring to?

@tactical_pete...thanks for your thoughts, but how does it look like a nightmare? I'd be happy to clear up any misunderstandings for you.

@gunslingr...It's only a little over 7lbs unloaded. Loaded, it's not much more. I think you'd be surprised how light it is if you held on in your hand.

Again thanks for the feedback and looking forward to talking more with you guys!

Jason
    http://www.shellgunning.com/is-the-srm-1216-full-of-problems/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/356032_.html

It even jams multiple times in the FPS Russia video.

The primary issue he had with his gun (the video from shellgunning) stems from the roller-delayed action system design and the vacuum that is created in the chamber, when the shotgun is fired. What happened with his gun was a function of 2 factors.

1) He was using ammunition that had been stored for a while, resulting in some expansion in the diameter of the shells;

2) the force of the bolt being blown-back creates a vacuum within the chamber that either bulges the heads of the shells, or rips them apart.

Let me explain the second part further...

When the shell is seated in the chamber, depending on the diameter of the shell, it will either fit tightly or loosely. If the shell fits loosely in the chamber (which is more common) the gun will cycle more efficiently. If the shell fits tightly in the chamber, there is a greater likelihood that a vacuum-like effect will occur. Think of it like pulling a cork out of a wine bottle…the greater diameter of the shell, the greater the vacuum pressure in the chamber. When the vacuum pressure is high, the shell’s head can bulge or detach. Obviously, this has an impact on the guns ability to cycle.

After reports of this problem, we developed a solution that would accommodate shotgun shells of slightly different diameter.

Essentially, we etch grooves inside of the chamber of the shotgun so that the gasses can escape, thereby eliminating the vacuum-effect that occurred in some of the shotguns manufactured by SRM, early in its production.

The fact that we moved so quickly to understand a problem with the shotgun, develop a solution, and implement change to their manufacturing process should be viewed positively.

Same issue for the thread on AR15.com. That was back in 2011. As far as the ammo that FPSRussia was using, we are unsure of. The 1216 can be picky and we suggest heavier loads. If we setup that video with FPS, we would have gave suggestions, however, our company didn't contact him. He even made a mistake about saying you can put bean bags in one tube and slugs in the other. We have a special "less-than-lethal" bolt for the bean bags. You can't mix them with live loads.

We have shipped hundreds of 1216's and I can tell you now, the positive reviews FAR out weigh the negative. People are less likely to write a review if they have no issues.

Thanks again.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by SRM_Arms View Post
    The primary issue he had with his gun (the video from shellgunning) stems from the roller-delayed action system design and the vacuum that is created in the chamber, when the shotgun is fired. What happened with his gun was a function of 2 factors.

1) He was using ammunition that had been stored for a while, resulting in some expansion in the diameter of the shells;

2) the force of the bolt being blown-back creates a vacuum within the chamber that either bulges the heads of the shells, or rips them apart.

Let me explain the second part further...

When the shell is seated in the chamber, depending on the diameter of the shell, it will either fit tightly or loosely. If the shell fits loosely in the chamber (which is more common) the gun will cycle more efficiently. If the shell fits tightly in the chamber, there is a greater likelihood that a vacuum-like effect will occur. Think of it like pulling a cork out of a wine bottle…the greater diameter of the shell, the greater the vacuum pressure in the chamber. When the vacuum pressure is high, the shell’s head can bulge or detach. Obviously, this has an impact on the guns ability to cycle.

After reports of this problem, we developed a solution that would accommodate shotgun shells of slightly different diameter.

Essentially, we etch grooves inside of the chamber of the shotgun so that the gasses can escape, thereby eliminating the vacuum-effect that occurred in some of the shotguns manufactured by SRM, early in its production.

The fact that we moved so quickly to understand a problem with the shotgun, develop a solution, and implement change to their manufacturing process should be viewed positively.

Same issue for the thread on AR15.com. That was back in 2011. As far as the ammo that FPSRussia was using, we are unsure of. The 1216 can be picky and we suggest heavier loads. If we setup that video with FPS, we would have gave suggestions, however, our company didn't contact him. He even made a mistake about saying you can put bean bags in one tube and slugs in the other. We have a special "less-than-lethal" bolt for the bean bags. You can't mix them with live loads.

We have shipped hundreds of 1216's and I can tell you now, the positive reviews FAR out weigh the negative. People are less likely to write a review if they have no issues.

Thanks again.
    Sounds good. I don't have anything against your company or shotgun, I just hadn't heard anything good. It will be a tough sell here though with 5 round mags.

Unless there's some way around it.... like if you send the tubes up separately with non permanent clips to clip them together

Thanks Cadgo

We are still learning the Canadian firearm rules and talking with officials there about shipping our shotguns.

California has strict gun laws too and a magazine round limit that our exceeds too, however, our magazine is counted as 4 separate magazines because you have to manually index it.

I'll keep you guys updated with this as I learn more.
    Last edited by SRM_Arms; 10-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast