Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Grand power

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I appreciate the honesty John, it makes me sad to realize that a great gun could have been sold in Canada for less.....
    Blue line, by the sounds of it, will not be able to match the prices you posted. I can see why that price information might make some people mad at either Grand Power, or Blue line for trying to maximize profit.
    Everyone 'tries to maximize profit.' John doesn't try to keep his prices low out of the goodness of his heart; he does so because having lower prices means he gets more sales than his competition, which translates to more money. You should be suspicious of any salesman who tries to convince you he "isn't in it for the money" (which, amazingly enough, John has claimed in this thread).

As for the prices he posted, keep in mind that he hadn't posted these in advance, which means they were not finalized. Now that he won't be carrying the product, and doesn't have to worry about profit margins, he can post the lowest prices he came up with, rather than the most realistic ones. Unfortunately, now that he has done this, other people will look like they have "inflated prices" whether they do or not.

Even if things went exactly as John claims, the professional way to have handled it would have been to apologize that he wouldn't be bringing them in, with some vague description of "things not working out with the supplier." There was no need to paint a picture of his competition and supplier conspiring to have "inflated prices," while he, the better business man, wouldn't go along with it. His presentation of events was, at best, selective and self-serving.

Whatever experiences you've had with him in the past--and I'm sure he's a great distributor to deal with--my following of the Grand Power threads has left me disappointed in his unprofessional handling of this situation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Curtton's Avatar
    good for you john.

Quote Originally Posted by plinker 777 View Post
    Marstar bought and paid for a shipment of product and the supplier backed out because you were selling too low!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but once the supplier has been paid his price per unit, what does he care what you sell them for? Marstar could sell them for absolutely 0 profit if it wanted to...no skin off the suppliers nose!?! Sounds like a bit of a tantrum on your part for a deal gone sour for reasons (real ones) unexplained. (flame suit on...just remember who started the thread is all I'll say)
    you sound like you know some business but you have alot to learn.

msrp is set to protect the maunfacturer/distributors smaller dealers , an efficient bigger dealers will operate at a lower cost so the smaller dealers will be at a disadvantage therefore limiting comsumers access to their products (some consumers likes to hold the product before they buy).

its not that dealers dont like higher profit margin but higher margin comes with a negative side effect and that is longer time to clear the products , time is money.

take costco for example , costco in most cases will sell for less bcos they are big , they are efficient , they operate at a smaller profit margin but at a higher volume, they can help out a manufacturer clear out their excess inventories in no time flat but it must in done at a rock bottom price , thats is how costco operates , its their principle and they are very good at it.

heres a costco story , a specialty mountain bike manufacturer had excess inventory so they sold the whole lot to a distributor who inturned flipped it to costco who is not the manufacturers dealer, costco marked it down to rock bottom price , when the maunfacturer got wind of it they call costco and bought it all back , yes, it cost them money but now they have happy dealers who dont have to compete with costco plus they wont piss off a whole buch of owners who recently bought their bikes at a much higher price (imagine them going back to the dealers asking for a price match?).

costco didnt mind selling the whole lot for less then selling one at a time bcos now they have room for other products with slightly higher profit margin .

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtton View Post
    heres a costco story , a specialty mountain bike manufacturer had excess inventory so they sold the whole lot to a distributor who inturned flipped it to costco who is not the manufacturers dealer, costco marked it down to rock bottom price , when the maunfacturer got wind of it they call costco and bought it all back , yes, it cost them money but now they have happy dealers who dont have to compete with costco plus they wont piss off a whole buch of owners who recently bought their bikes at a much higher price (imagine them going back to the dealers asking for a price match?).

This ties into that a manufacturer has to keep a price level to retain the image of quality, maybe even exclusivity.
    Imagine if a rich S.O.B bought 10,000 K.A.C's and sold them for $999. Knights would lose some of it's luster.

Find me a rich S.O.B LOL

BANNED
    South East of the Center of the Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtton View Post
    good for you john.

you sound like you know some business but you have alot to learn.

msrp is set to protect the maunfacturer/distributors smaller dealers , an efficient bigger dealers will operate at a lower cost so the smaller dealers will be at a disadvantage therefore limiting comsumers access to their products (some consumers likes to hold the product before they buy).

its not that dealers dont like higher profit margin but higher margin comes with a negative side effect and that is longer time to clear the products , time is money.

take costco for example , costco in most cases will sell for less bcos they are big , they are efficient , they operate at a smaller profit margin but at a higher volume, they can help out a manufacturer clear out their excess inventories in no time flat but it must in done at a rock bottom price , thats is how costco operates , its their principle and they are very good at it.

costco didnt mind selling the whole lot for less then selling one at a time bcos now they have room for other products with slightly higher profit margin .
    Marstar isn't Costco, {you're wrong about how Costco does business BTW}. John's reasoning's for posting this thread are completely self serving and it would appear that several have seen this truth and are no longer blinded by the Marstar sun. My congratulations go out to you John, you made a mistake...which makes you human...welcome to the club. {Plinker removes flamesuit}

Expired Business
    His presentation of events was, at best, selective and self-serving.

"PHILOSOFRENZY;
    "he does so because having lower prices means he gets more sales than his competition, which translates to more money."
    I thought we lived in a free market society ?? Am I doing something wrong ??

" "isn't in it for the money" (which, amazingly enough, John has claimed in this thread)."
    Well now, lets not get silly here, of course I like making money, if your question is do I need it ?? No I don't, however I do enjoy dealing with most of the folks in the industry...

"As for the prices he posted, keep in mind that he hadn't posted these in advance, "
    Why would I have posted them, the pistols had not arrived, I learned a long time ago not to do that....

"with some vague description of "things not working out with the supplier."
    I donm't beleive our customers deserve a vague description, as you put it.... They asked honest questions and deserved honest answers....I guess now I will have to apologize for being honest....

"His presentation of events was, at best, selective and self-serving."
    I would challenge you on this my friend, If you think I am lying then I will challenge you to put your grand knowledge of events and your money where your mouth is
    You put up $5,000. and I will match it, you get to seethe paperwork, if I am lying then you get the money, if on the other hand I am not misrepresenting the facts i will donate my winnngs to a couple of charities I already support, do we have a deal ??

JOHN
    Last edited by johnone; 10-09-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    Crickets.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosofrenzy View Post
    Everyone 'tries to maximize profit.' John doesn't try to keep his prices low out of the goodness of his heart; he does so because having lower prices means he gets more sales than his competition, which translates to more money. You should be suspicious of any salesman who tries to convince you he "isn't in it for the money" (which, amazingly enough, John has claimed in this thread).

As for the prices he posted, keep in mind that he hadn't posted these in advance, which means they were not finalized. Now that he won't be carrying the product, and doesn't have to worry about profit margins, he can post the lowest prices he came up with, rather than the most realistic ones. Unfortunately, now that he has done this, other people will look like they have "inflated prices" whether they do or not.

Even if things went exactly as John claims, the professional way to have handled it would have been to apologize that he wouldn't be bringing them in, with some vague description of "things not working out with the supplier." There was no need to paint a picture of his competition and supplier conspiring to have "inflated prices," while he, the better business man, wouldn't go along with it. His presentation of events was, at best, selective and self-serving.

Whatever experiences you've had with him in the past--and I'm sure he's a great distributor to deal with--my following of the Grand Power threads has left me disappointed in his unprofessional handling of this situation.
    I find it thoroughly amazing how two people can read all of the same content and get two diametrically opposite opinions on what went on. I guess some people simply have their minds made up before they finish reading.
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
    Member: CSSA, CCFR

μολὼν λαβέ

John, I just wanted to thank you for your responses in this thread (and in general). It's amazing that with all the negative comments you still bring the funny and usually make people run away with their tail between their legs on top of it all. I don't think I've ever seen an "angry" post by you.

Cheers!

BANNED
    Thx for your efforts John. I'll never buy grand power, and plinker777, what are you trying to prove? John was upright and has explaind everything asked and more, even though it's none of your business. You let it alone, you're the only freaking on a dealer in his own forum over disclosing his personal info you figured you were entitled to. Yeesh.

CGN frequent flyer
    thanks Johnone !! you are the BESt !!!