Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: History of the m14s/m305 from Marstar- John, how about filling us in?

Expired Business
    FENCELINE;

What a marketing idea, I agree 100%

John

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    THE M-14 SEMI AUTO;
    I am going from memory here, I would have to check the files for exact dates etc....

Some years ago we were approached by Norinco to sell their product line of firearms here in Canada, they said they were not happy with the sales vaolume at that time....You must remember that the M-14 and the AR-15 clones, just to mention a couple, were being sold for hundreds of dollars higher than even today's prices.

We met with some of the administration of Norinco on several occasiosn to discuss what we wanted and what they expected, we met here, in China, in Nuremberg (IWA) and at SHOT.

We reached an agreement with Norinco several months later, we needed many issues made clear before we signed on, the most important being how we would extend our warranty policy to cover Norinco firearms.... Another part of the agreement covered the training of our gunsmith at the various factories in China.

Once we introduced the Norinco firearms to the Canadian market and the consumer took note of our much lower pricing than what was being offered in Canada at that time by other importers.... A couple of things happened;
    1) All hell broke loose and we received threatning calls from dealers, other calls were more suttle, like "can't you bring up your prices so we can all make more" ? Funny the consumer found that they liked our prices....
    2) Sales soared, within the first three months of having product in our warehouse we sold more than all other importers combined for the previous year....

It was not alwys a smooth road, we had issues, we always resolved them with the hlp of the people in China.... They either came over or we went there....

At times there were production and QC issues, I'm certain most of our customers will agree that the overall fit and finish has come a long way since we began importing. We managed to always try and prevent any potential issues, somtimes causing delivery delays, but since we do warranty everything is it easier to fix minor things before they become a major problem, thats why Frank, our gunsmith, is in the factories on a regular basis....

Many of our happy customers ask how we can maintain lower pricing that many others who import from China, it is simple, we buy in volume directly from the factories, we are the importer, we are the vendor, we sell directly to you the retail customer and to many dealers all over Canada....

You must also realize that some importers are simply not happy with a modest profit margin and want more of your hard earned money, if the market supports that, fine it is a free market system in Canada....

I hope we have replied to some of your questions, if you have others ask ....

John
    Thanks for explaining the history John. It sounds like you folks have a very solid relationship with Norinco. I guess I have been wondering why in the past couple of years it seems as if the regular supply and selection have somewhat slowed down. Is this going to change in the near future? Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    So many wins. I just never could get the one mag for Norc pistols thing. I'm not alone.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mg4201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    So many wins. I just never could get the one mag for Norc pistols thing. I'm not alone.
    At the price of a norc 1911 I don't expect two mags. Find me another 1911 you can buy new for less than 400 dollars, that also works like a charm.
    It is better to live one day as a lion, and die than to live one thousand years as a lamb.

Others Norc retailers have two. I ask (as a diehard Marstar fan) why there can't be two. I wasn't the first to ask. Maybe I should pussyfoot?
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Expired Business
    DECKARD;

regarding the number of mags with any firearm we offer from Norinco or Polytech....

It all depends on what pricing we negotiate on a particular contract, sometimes we get two mags, sometimes only one, whatever the case we sell them the same as we get them....

"Others Norc retailers have two"
    Are their prices the same as ours ? Do they offer the same warranty ?

Regards
    John

BANNED
    Jeez, i thought this was supposed to be an M305/14S thread. John, can we move the magazine bashing to a new thread? ; )

There are many back stories and that is one. It's no more 'bashing' than people being syncophants. It's just a question. Answered.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    All I can say is, "Good job Marstar". You have been on the side of the consumer all the way on this one. I enjoy a Marstar M305. It is a Canadian best buy without a doubt. I sold my Marstar bought 1911 thinking I needed a Colt only to find that the Colt may be a nicer looking gun, but it didn't shoot any better.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Lee Enfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    Actually, as I understand it, the dies for the M14 were sold to China (Taiwan), so they could be produced as the Type 57 rifle for the Chinese arsenals.
    Why reverse engineer something that you can purchase for pennies on the dollar?

I too would like to hear about Marstars involvement in making the Norinco semi auto variant available to the Canadian market.

Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    On that point you could be right. I don't have a clue whether or not selling it to 'taiwan' was just a way to get around US state department export rules in 1969, or how independent Taiwan was back then vs. now.
    Did Taiwan ever produce any of the guns?

Kirk
    I am constantly amazed at the lack of geo-political knowledge in Canada.

The "Peoples Republic of China" (mainland) and "Republic of China" (Taiwan) have been deadly enemies since the 1949 evacuation of the Chinese government to Taiwan.

Taiwan "RoC" built M14 rifles under license and used them as a standard service rifle into the 1990s.

Mao "PRC" had M14 rifles with US manufacturers markings built and spread them into the Philippines (and other places) to arm communist insurgents with deniable weapons. The ammunition supplied had British manufacture markings.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/