Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norinco JW-14 magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by fraserdw View Post
    ack that
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by reddukezy View Post
    Where did you guys buy the Champion mag? couldn't find them anywhere...
    One of the site sponsor sells it... hical

Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    Let us know how this works out. I need some mags!
    Alright, here we go.

Before/after filing:

In action:

I fired about 120 rounds tonight split across the stock magazine and the two modified Marlin mags. Unlike the stock JW-14 magazine, these Marlin magazines do not have a wider lip around the lower part, so it is possible to insert the magazines too far up into the action, which blocks the bolt from closing. So you have to make sure to give the magazine a tug so it is as low as it goes against the retaining latch. They work fine! Feed and extraction work fine, cycles, no problem with gases escaping through the gap in the magazine well either. My only gripe with them is that it is very difficult for me to load that 10th cartridge into the Marlin magazines, while the spring in the stock magazine seems to be a bit lighter and I can load 10 rounds without too much trouble.

Once again I am using Marlin magazines labeled as "All bolt actions and post-1988 autoloaders", but I see no reason why current production 795 and XT-22 magazines shouldn't work with the same modifications.

thanks for sharing, gctkaz!

I have three of the same mags. I find if you insert them with the bolt closed there are no issues with them and in my last outing I put over 200 rounds through with no stove pipes or jams. They are a little snug even after filing both the mags and the rifle.
    This is a great little rifle and was a favourite with my friends the last time out. My plinkster is not as reliable with a couple of fail to extract with the same amount put through and one stove pipe.
    Last edited by Maevin; 02-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    I modded a Marlin Promag 25 rounder to work really well.

Some mods are required:

1. It took some sanding/filing on the sides of the mag that feed into the mag well. The promag has a small raised portion on both flat sides at the base of the upper part that would sit inside the mag well.
    2. The back (spine) of the mag has to be rounded slightly with sandpaper, the sharp 90 degree corners don't fit into the rear of the JW14 well.
    3. The mag catch lip needs to be sanded down just a touch.
    4. The stock of the rifle around the mag well has to be opened up to allow the mag to seat all the way in. Easy to do, just used an exacto knife. It's soft commy would.

About 45 minutes of tinkering but now it works and it works flawlessly. Feeds really smooth and allows for great extraction/ejection of spent casings.
    The supplied mag is absolute junk which is a shame because the rifle is quite accurate and very reliable with a decent modded mag, it's not picky on ammo either.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

I am wondering where can u get the mag showing on the manual that came with it? Lol...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyfanfan View Post
    I am wondering where can u get the mag showing on the manual that came with it? Lol...
    lol As was I when I first saw it.

I guess they were around back in the day?

Ah the 80's......defintely brigther times than these.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fat tony's Avatar
    a forward observation post in the L-F-H horizon, or Nova Scotia
    Marlin magazines work fine with the Squires Bingham 20. Except in this instance a shim needs to be added to the rear of the magazine with a hole to allow the business end of the catch to fit, and another hole to index with the lug on the magazine.

I think the one I got was for the model 795, and was Marlin production.
    Last edited by fat tony; 02-21-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maevin View Post
    I have three of the same mags. I find if you insert them with the bolt closed there are no issues with them
    Excellent advice, I will do this next time

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast