Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dlask custom Canadian legal bullpup

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Avalonthas's Avatar
    I would buy one if in 223 and not as ugly as the pictured unit
    There's Mil-spec, and then there's Gunnutz-spec.
    One is stringent, the other contains nuts.

I'd be willing to pay 2000-2500 max. But for me to spend that type of money on a new to the market rifle, it would have to be something new. If you could build something piston ar10ish, thats light weight and optics friendly, than i would probably be willing to spend more.......and of course it would HAVE to be NR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Well, these are my considerations:

-Nonrestricted, this is quite possibly the most important. This alone would have people buying it even if it's chambered in some weird proprietary 6.3x42mm caliber that you only make ten of a month. Being able to take it outside of ranges would probably increase your chances of selling it by at least a third, especially since many ranges have been switching to members only policy.

-Common intermediate caliber such as 7.62x51/.308. Reason being, if you pick a caliber new and fancy or old and surplus you run the risk of the ammo supply becoming very rare. Sure we have buckets of surplus 39 or 54r now, what about in five years, ten years? Giving it affordable ammo, in a caliber that's in current production and going strong on a worldwide basis, will make a high pricetag a lot more palatable for many people. If we need to spend three bucks for a single cartridge, we're not going to use it very often and you risk turning it into something only sponsored shooters or the seriously wealthy can shoot. 308 is widely accepted and supported for all aspects of shooting.

-Standardized for use with existing optics and accessories. If people can use the scopes and rail accessories they already have they are much more likely to buy the rifle.

-Cost:Value ratio that is worth it. Though it sounds like this is already one of your core principles. I don't want something that I'm afraid to use because it's expensive. I want to know that's it's worth it, and can roll with the punches. I'd say about $2000-$2500 would be my max for the commercial version. Special versions might merit increased pricetags. However, the higher the initial cost the fewer aftermarket mods it should "need" to achieve a specific function such as left handed use, or scopes, or PDW CQB, or long range, or custom threading for brakes and other muzzle devices.

-Ambidextrous and/or configurable controls. It seems like the first question I heard about the Tavor was "how to get a left handed version?". Maybe it's just me, but I kind of dislike the base AR platform for having the bolt stop set up in such a way that it's the only control I cannot use with my right hand on the grip where it belongs without having to insert an empty mag and yank the charging handle. Being able to swap mag releases and ejection ports from one side to another, or having them set up in such a way as to be accessed from both sides, would gain you major points with some people. Of course, extra parts like duplicated mag releases and bolt stops and what have you will add weight, and there are people who will dislike the idea of "useless" junk. I've got a Walther PPQ pistol, it's fully ambi out of the box, and I'm in love with the idea of not being stuck with only a single way of doing something, even if only one way is the most efficient in most cases. I've got a major chub for options. In your case, maybe make it easy for the user to swap out parts for right or left handed operation, or use both for ambidextrous. That way you can allow some control over weight and set up. In short, think of how it's going to be used, in all cases and all functions and not just doing the 1,2,3 on the bench. Since you're going to be developing the rifle from the ground up, plan it all the way to the roof. If you're going to set it up a certain way, at least plan for aftermarket modification such as the B.A.D.A.S.S and other things.

-User serviceable without requiring specialized tools. By this I mean that we're going to have to clean it eventually, so make it vaguely easy to access the barrel and internals. If it's a pain in the ass to clean, people aren't going to be out using it and giving you publicity.

-Wieldly. That's a word I use to mean how easy it is to wield the rifle. A 12 pound benchrest rifle is heavy and unwieldly. A custom four pound large bore rifle is also unwieldly, but for the opposite reason. I think 6-7 pounds would be your magic weight to make it heavy enough that recoil does not seem obnoxious, but light enough to consider as a field rifle for people who are not paid to carry it. However, to do this and retain a primarily metal constriction you might have to carefully allocate rail real estate. Perhaps even by designing rail slots, and then allowing us to purchase and position rail segments to bolt on. In fact, Mr. Potato rails would be pretty damn cool in general.

There, that's my thoughts for now. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    Well, these are my considerations:

-Nonrestricted, this is quite possibly the most important. This alone would have people buying it even if it's chambered in some weird proprietary 6.3x42mm caliber that you only make ten of a month. Being able to take it outside of ranges would probably increase your chances of selling it by at least a third, especially since many ranges have been switching to members only policy.

-Common intermediate caliber such as 7.62x51/.308. Reason being, if you pick a caliber new and fancy or old and surplus you run the risk of the ammo supply becoming very rare. Sure we have buckets of surplus 39 or 54r now, what about in five years, ten years? Giving it affordable ammo, in a caliber that's in current production and going strong on a worldwide basis, will make a high pricetag a lot more palatable for many people. If we need to spend three bucks for a single cartridge, we're not going to use it very often and you risk turning it into something only sponsored shooters or the seriously wealthy can shoot. 308 is widely accepted and supported for all aspects of shooting.

-Standardized for use with existing optics and accessories. If people can use the scopes and rail accessories they already have they are much more likely to buy the rifle.

-Cost:Value ratio that is worth it. Though it sounds like this is already one of your core principles. I don't want something that I'm afraid to use because it's expensive. I want to know that's it's worth it, and can roll with the punches. I'd say about $2000-$2500 would be my max for the commercial version. Special versions might merit increased pricetags. However, the higher the initial cost the fewer aftermarket mods it should "need" to achieve a specific function such as left handed use, or scopes, or PDW CQB, or long range, or custom threading for brakes and other muzzle devices.

-Ambidextrous and/or configurable controls. It seems like the first question I heard about the Tavor was "how to get a left handed version?". Maybe it's just me, but I kind of dislike the base AR platform for having the bolt stop set up in such a way that it's the only control I cannot use with my right hand on the grip where it belongs without having to insert an empty mag and yank the charging handle. Being able to swap mag releases and ejection ports from one side to another, or having them set up in such a way as to be accessed from both sides, would gain you major points with some people. Of course, extra parts like duplicated mag releases and bolt stops and what have you will add weight, and there are people who will dislike the idea of "useless" junk. I've got a Walther PPQ pistol, it's fully ambi out of the box, and I'm in love with the idea of not being stuck with only a single way of doing something, even if only one way is the most efficient in most cases. I've got a major chub for options. In your case, maybe make it easy for the user to swap out parts for right or left handed operation, or use both for ambidextrous. That way you can allow some control over weight and set up. In short, think of how it's going to be used, in all cases and all functions and not just doing the 1,2,3 on the bench. Since you're going to be developing the rifle from the ground up, plan it all the way to the roof. If you're going to set it up a certain way, at least plan for aftermarket modification such as the B.A.D.A.S.S and other things.

-User serviceable without requiring specialized tools. By this I mean that we're going to have to clean it eventually, so make it vaguely easy to access the barrel and internals. If it's a pain in the ass to clean, people aren't going to be out using it and giving you publicity.

-Wieldly. That's a word I use to mean how easy it is to wield the rifle. A 12 pound benchrest rifle is heavy and unwieldly. A custom four pound large bore rifle is also unwieldly, but for the opposite reason. I think 6-7 pounds would be your magic weight to make it heavy enough that recoil does not seem obnoxious, but light enough to consider as a field rifle for people who are not paid to carry it. However, to do this and retain a primarily metal constriction you might have to carefully allocate rail real estate. Perhaps even by designing rail slots, and then allowing us to purchase and position rail segments to bolt on. In fact, Mr. Potato rails would be pretty damn cool in general.

There, that's my thoughts for now. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Pretty fair assessment and logical. The more I look at the OP picture the more I realize it's impossible for a lefty to use without shouldering and firing from the right.... or eating brass and a charging handle .

The way modern sporting rifles seem to be headed lately are with ambi controls and some have the ability to swap out which side charging handle and or ejection is located. Pretty much already built into the M14 mag release, but could take some doing with the bolt release and charging handle/ejection.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Now another recommendation for Dlask to assure a minimum amount of units are moved from day one could be to act as a wholesaler and retailer. Move as many units as you can into the retailers throughout Canada, and retail at the same price point as the MSRP from your own shop as well. Of course be careful not to undercut your own retail chain or they'll drop the product, but this can assure that a minimum amount of units are "spoken for" straight off of launch date.

Of course this is just a thought as I must admit I don't fully understand what being a firearms manufacturer or wholesaler entails, if the retail locations buy up front or expect goods on credit, and a whole slew of things that will obviously go along with wholesaling to other retailers. For that matter I don't know that this is a avenue that Dlask would be in the least be interested in pursing, but at least it's a suggestion that I thought I'd throw out there. Take it for what you will.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Vimy Ridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms Corp View Post
    We still have a Tavor sitting here that is months in inventory that no one wants to buy. Not sure what all this sold out business is. If you only bring in a handful of guns....of course you are going to be Sold Out.
    I don't think you can beat and muddy a plastic rifle the way you can an all metal m14 rogue or troy or sage. Am I missing something here? Or are people just "high" on the RFB and tavor.
    Because the m14 action is being used right now......overseas in Afghanistan and Iraq.....the RFB is not....nor will it ever be used by any military. The Tavor is used by a tiny little country and a few others. The M14 action is a proven battle action for 40 years. We would be using an m14 action.
    Wait, did you just bash AND try to sell Tavor's in the same thread? Badass.

I like the m14 action. The only difference I'd like to see is for the charging handle to be on the left side of the gun. Other than that I could care less if its in the $2500 range as long as the quality is there.

If this is non restricted then it would be my next purchase. (I'd buy 3 or more)
    Restricted - I'd still buy one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IchBinEinSniper's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Dlask Arms Corp
    We still have a Tavor sitting here that is months in inventory that no one wants to buy. Not sure what all this sold out business is. If you only bring in a handful of guns....of course you are going to be Sold Out.

You have a Tavor in stock?

The bullpup is an interesting idea in the M14 spec... very positive action.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I like bullpups so I am interested in seeing how this turns out. But I won't buy a restricted long gun because I don't shoot any of my guns, including handguns, enough, so another range-only toy isn't on my wish list. I would want hunting accuracy. I won't mind if DLask uses Chinese copy M14 actions to keep the cost down. If the cost got up to Kel-Tec RFB level I'd probably get an RFB instead.
    Today could be the last day of the rest of your life.