Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% 1911 frames

CGN Regular shatthatkilledelvis's Avatar

80% 1911 frames

I remember many years ago Dlask had offered 80% 1911 frames for sale. Is this something that's is still available?
    Statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics - Aubie Baltin

No longer a s**t, just a shat...

canstararms.ca

I don't see any 80% frames on Canstar's site. :s ???

They do sell 1911 frame kits. Look under products, down at the end of the list the kits are shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther_PPK View Post
    I don't see any 80% frames on Canstar's site. :s ???

He's not asking about frame kits or unfinished guns. He's referring to 80% complete frames similar to those found on US websites.

In the states, under the 2nd amendment, you can buy these 80% complete receivers without paperwork as they are not finished and so technically not a firearm yet, then finish them yourself with some machining skills and equipment. It is legal to finish these yourself and build a gun as long as you don't try to sell it or give it to someone else and thus become a 'manufacturer' and not a builder for personal use.
    The Canadian laws do provide for this as the Usa constitution does. I'm not sure of the legality of these in Canada. There has been much debate on this topic in other forums. While it might possibly be legal to own the unfinished receivers since they are essentially non functioning "paperweights" I would imagine that actually turning them into a functioning firearm that's restricted in this country could land you in a lot of trouble with the authorities.

Dlask was offering 80% 1911's as well as 80% AR15's for a while but they have removed them from their site. Probably due to legal concerns but you would have to ask them about that.
    Inter arma enim silent leges

I would be interested if Dlask offered them again

Super Moderator
    In the US, the 2nd Amendment is irrelevant to the 80% receiver thing.
    If it is sufficiently unfinished, it is not a firearm. Period. ATF interpretation of what is sufficiently unfinished does change, there is no hard and fast rule about what 80% means. For example, the interpretation of 80% as applied to AR type lowers has changed.
    There is no Cdn. equivalent of 80%. At some point in the production cycle, the thing is going to be deemed a receiver, a firearm.
    If the thing is for a restricted firearm, there are those who say that it must be registered when it is finished to the point that it would support firing a round. If it is a restricted, it might be a good idea to consult with the RCMP sooner, rather than later.
    In Canada, and in the US, there is no prohibition against selling a homemade firearm. It is personal property, and it can disposed of subject to the laws covering the transfer of firearms.
    If the thing is being made with the intent to sell, then that is manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch540 View Post
    He's not asking about frame kits or unfinished guns. He's referring to 80% complete frames similar to those found on US websites.

In the states, under the 2nd amendment, you can buy these 80% complete receivers without paperwork as they are not finished and so technically not a firearm yet, then finish them yourself with some machining skills and equipment. It is legal to finish these yourself and build a gun as long as you don't try to sell it or give it to someone else and thus become a 'manufacturer' and not a builder for personal use.
    The Canadian laws do provide for this as the Usa constitution does. I'm not sure of the legality of these in Canada. There has been much debate on this topic in other forums. While it might possibly be legal to own the unfinished receivers since they are essentially non functioning "paperweights" I would imagine that actually turning them into a functioning firearm that's restricted in this country could land you in a lot of trouble with the authorities.

Dlask was offering 80% 1911's as well as 80% AR15's for a while but they have removed them from their site. Probably due to legal concerns but you would have to ask them about that.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Don't count on Dlask having 1911 80% frames again. I placed an order with them last year and while I was on the phone I inquired if they would offer them again. The lady said: "No..."they" told us we can't sell them anymore, only the 60%".

Strange, as they still offer 80% AR15 lowers. I guess they got a call from someone in an office somewhere with too much time on their hands.

Never seen 80% 1911 frames from Dlask, just the kit, and it is still listed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast