Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Norinco light strike vehicle (ETA?)

AM General has announced a civilian HMMWV in kit form:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/09/a...eady-to-order/

Drop in whatever engine & transmission combo you want (AMG did it this way to get around US EPA emissions laws) and you have a 0% GM, 100% genuine AM General humvee.

I wouldn't touch the dongfeng with a 10' chopstick.

Can't be anyworse than the Canadian made Western Star LSVW

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/lsvw.htm

Wow there are some odd options out there..
    https://ericaswimmingdream.tilt.com/year1
    Hey CGNers. Here is your chance to crowed fund a future Olympic hopeful and current gun nut!! thanks for your help everyone

The problem with the kit humvee is that there is no warinty. Do you think marstar would warinty a norinco hummer the same way they do with the pistols? Also I doubt they could offer 15$ postal, but mostly who would trust Canada post to deliver a truck to your door across Canada?
    https://ericaswimmingdream.tilt.com/year1
    Hey CGNers. Here is your chance to crowed fund a future Olympic hopeful and current gun nut!! thanks for your help everyone

Quote Originally Posted by reid134 View Post
    The problem with the kit humvee is that there is no warinty. Do you think marstar would warinty a norinco hummer the same way they do with the pistols? Also I doubt they could offer 15$ postal, but mostly who would trust Canada post to deliver a truck to your door across Canada?
    why not kia make complet crap and they offer a warrintee.
    if someone really wants to offer a product into this market they will find a way.
    bbb

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    You guys know you can just buy a real one from the us government as surplus right? Quick pop across the border and you get a hummer.... And I am not referring to Detroit prostitutes...

Quote Originally Posted by Daver_II View Post
    You guys know you can just buy a real one from the us government as surplus right? Quick pop across the border and you get a hummer.... And I am not referring to Detroit prostitutes...
    You can't plate it. Military trucks are not built to DOT or MOT standards. There's a big thread on Pirate4x4 about it. Although a few DID manage to get civilian ownerships it was quickly realized they're not crash compliant, and even faster the insurance companies said No to insuring them.

You might be able to purchase one and get an offroad plate for it though. On jeepkings.ca there's a thread on how to purchase a US vehicle without an ownership. That thread was about a tube buggy.

Edit; Got curious to see if things have changed. I don't think so... here's the shortest version of what I've read before;
    http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions_jeephmmwv.php
    DRMS website:

DoD does not sell the M-151 series of vehicles commonly referred to as jeeps. The Department of Transportation has ruled that jeeps are built for off road use and could be unsafe at high speed. Therefore, for public safety, we render them inoperable prior to sale (i.e., cut or crush the unitized body and suspension system). All M151 series vehicles, including jeeps, are unsafe for public highway use. These vehicles are made unusable by removing major components and destroying the unitized body so it cannot be rebuilt. False stories often advise that jeeps are available for unusually low prices. Such stories should be brought to the attention of the DRMS Public Affairs Office, ATTN: DRMS-DB, 74 N. Washington St., Federal Center, Battle Creek, MI 49017-3092.
    and...
    Making the same point, this is from a GSA website;
    Currently, DoD has a rebuild contract with the manufacturer to upgrade and refurbish used Humvees for further DoD use. Humvees that are not suitable for the rebuild program are little more than residue. The military version of the Humvee does not meet DoT safety standards and is not now sold.

copying is the 1st step, Toyota did the same 40 years ago and made out Land cruiser.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456