Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M305B Ammo Type

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    Guy at epps is an idiot.

There can be circumstances where it will fire before the bolt is fully closed.
    Yeah about that.... Epps needs some serious customer service improvements.

I fired primarily .308 in mine and never had problems.
    You should keep the bullet weight below 180gr as was mentioned earlier but that's about it for ammo selection. Mine did really well with S&B 147gr.
    If you are getting multiple shots for one trigger pull there is a problem. If you can't get them to warranty it then send it to a gunsmith that is good with m14's and have it repaired. It shouldn't cost much. Have him give it a nice trigger job while it's there. I bought mine used and it had been treated to a trigger job and it was really nice to shoot.
    I wouldn't keep shooting it until it is repaired though. The range Nazi would be right asking you to stop shooting. It's one thing to have it happen and quit but it's an entirely different thing to keep shooting it when you know there is a problem.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
    I recently bought one from Epps and it is stamped .308 too
    I took it to the range I tried Winchester ammo...the rifle fires 2 rounds with one trigger pull.
    So I sent it back to North Sylva and they said that I'm supposed to use military ammo because commercial ammo's primers are too soft for it (floating firing pin)
    According to the sales guy at Epps, even though it fires two or more rounds, it is safe because it wont fire until the bolt is fully closed.
    I'm not really sure that this is OK, I'm still going to post a question about it later...
    Another problem is the range....if the range nazi of the day is in he might demand that I stop shooting it.
    I was with MineMe when he got the rifle back from Epps. I thought it was a nonsense you selling a 308 rifle that can't shoot commercial ammo, not even talking about reloads.

We went to the range to test the rifle and the first double had happened when he was using MY chrono to check the ammo - Winchester, and thank God the two rounds went through the right area missing the chrono!

The chrono will always be available for you MineMe, but to use with your Norinco M14s!:-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Is this the beginings of a love story?

I shot lots of ammo, including hand loads. Norinco Green box shoots well , keep or gun cleaned and greased , oiled .These rifles are a military grade rifles sold all over the world. Learn how to use your Iron sights . Only draw back about the gun its about 13 lbs when mount with a scope. Enjoy modifying and Shooting. I only shoot paper and dongs at the range with my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    Is this the beginings of a love story?
    Jealous eh?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunluver63 View Post
    I only shoot paper and dongs at the range with my rifle.
    I think I'll stay home when this guy is at the range.

It's possible it's from the primers, that said I would err on the side of caution. If it's doubling because the firing pin is sticking then it could fire out of battery.

M305b

For all intents and purposes, they are the same cartridge. The Norinco M305B will quite happily cycle either round with no problems. Unless you are firing extreme bullet weights which might compromise accuracy, there is nothing to contraindicate using either caliber designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raff85 View Post
    I recently purchased a M305B, Norinco clone of the M14.

I had the understanding that the firearm takes 7.62x51 NATO rounds. However stamped on the gun it says .308 Win.

I know that it is a hot and controversial topic whether a firearm chambered for 7.62x51 can safely fire .308
    Win. As there may be problems with slam fires, over pressures, case failures, etc. I have heard this may not be the case right away but it can be a problem especially if there is continual use of .308 Win.

Anyways, to complicate matters the instruction manual that is included states the gun takes 7.62x51. I also know that the Chinese bought the equipment and machines that made the original M14s many years ago Nd have since pretty much renamed the gun to the M-305b.

Does anyone know if the 305 can or rather should use the .308 Win or should I attempt to find some 7.62x51? I only ask because i dont want to blow up or damage my new gun and i know that most of the 7.62 up around here has been sold out.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    primer sensitivity is the main issue to be concerned with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12