Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M305B Ammo Type

M305B Ammo Type

I recently purchased a M305B, Norinco clone of the M14.

I had the understanding that the firearm takes 7.62x51 NATO rounds. However stamped on the gun it says .308 Win.

I know that it is a hot and controversial topic whether a firearm chambered for 7.62x51 can safely fire .308
    Win. As there may be problems with slam fires, over pressures, case failures, etc. I have heard this may not be the case right away but it can be a problem especially if there is continual use of .308 Win.

Anyways, to complicate matters the instruction manual that is included states the gun takes 7.62x51. I also know that the Chinese bought the equipment and machines that made the original M14s many years ago Nd have since pretty much renamed the gun to the M-305b.

Does anyone know if the 305 can or rather should use the .308 Win or should I attempt to find some 7.62x51? I only ask because i dont want to blow up or damage my new gun and i know that most of the 7.62 up around here has been sold out.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Either one will do.

Keep bullet weights under 180 grains

BANNED
    Either will work fine, Crappy tire sells Federal Powershock 150 grain (Blue Box) it works fine and is pretty accurate as well.

I recently bought one from Epps and it is stamped .308 too
    I took it to the range I tried Winchester ammo...the rifle fires 2 rounds with one trigger pull.
    So I sent it back to North Sylva and they said that I'm supposed to use military ammo because commercial ammo's primers are too soft for it (floating firing pin)
    According to the sales guy at Epps, even though it fires two or more rounds, it is safe because it wont fire until the bolt is fully closed.
    I'm not really sure that this is OK, I'm still going to post a question about it later...
    Another problem is the range....if the range nazi of the day is in he might demand that I stop shooting it.

BANNED
    Doesnt sound right to me
    Try doing the trigger after assembly test ... to prevent slam fires

1. Cock the action and confirm safety works.
    2. take it off safe and fire the action.
    3. while keeping trigger to the rear cock the action and see if the hammer follows the bolt forward ( it shouldnt)
    4. release the trigger and you should hear a click , then squeeze the trigger and fire the action .

If it doesnt pass this test it could give you the results you are having ....my USGI fiberglass stock did this after painting and it was fixed by removing a little material under the trigger pads and trigger guard.

Interesting.

I find that there is a great divide among people who say its okay and those who say absolutely do not.

The double fire sounds like soft primers or a sticky firing pin. Are you sure your firing pin and its channel
    Is clear of junk? The slam fire or double fire is also a concern of mine. My biggest concern however is if the gun will be damaged.

Chalk or yomoma do either of you have first hand experience with the 305b while using .308?

I'd like to hear more about this!

BANNED
    I have used lots of both types of ammo.....I think that isnt the problem.
    You can see if the firing pin is floating as well...take out the bolt and shake it to see if you can hear the pin moving back and forth as it should.

For my 305

Guy at epps is an idiot.

There can be circumstances where it will fire before the bolt is fully closed.

Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    Guy at epps is an idiot.

There can be circumstances where it will fire before the bolt is fully closed.
    Epps again? LOLZ

It shouldn/'t double fire and commercial rounds are fine. I'm thinking they don't want to deal with another warranty issue. Nevertheless disassemble your rifle and see what is amiss coz it might just be a simple problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast