Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1929313233343536373839404142434445464749 ... LastLast

Thread: VZ58 in 7.62x51 is possible if there is enough interest.

I'm down like a rodeo clown jack

interesting...
    Member of CSSA
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
    TAP, RACK, BANG

Not interested, ammo cost too much vs 7,62x39

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    True but anyone that reloads could load pretty great ammo for the .308/7.62x51 platform.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

45 cents per round for x51 versus 16 cents per round for x39 (just using CanAmmo prices as a baseline) is pretty significant but you get what you pay for when it comes to punch! And like G.Mitchell said, reloading for competitions and plinking could be done economically. I'd just really like to shock all the guys at deer camp with my new 308 hunting rifle :D

NS any update on this? I would love a .308 that is different then the ones were all used to

I'd rather be a peace maker than a peace keeper

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    I'm really keen to get this platform in 7.62x51.

Here in Canada we aren't blessed with AR rifles being non restricted so I can just change uppers to move up what my rifle can do. I do want to train on one platform and have that platform also be my hunting platform.

I am very interested to see if this gets any traction and moves forward.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

We need a platform in Canada to bring in some of that lovely 5.45x39 surplus... I think this would be a amazing rifle in 5.45x39. 7.62x51 I would pass on for the most part.
    "For in reason all government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery."

CGN frequent flyer
    I hate to kill the dream but I wouldn't hold your breath. I talked to one of the big wigs at CSA about coming out with a 5.45x39 version since there is so much ammo around, he said it would be great and all but most shooters have no concept of what is involved. He said once you change one thing everything else in line with it has to be changed, rehanged, re-thought tweaked and re tweaked. It takes much time and commitment to pull something like this off along with the inevitable growing pains, which consumers have no patience for. Case in point, the .223 broken bolt saga. Everyone seems to want stuff like a .308 or .223 VZ rifle with aluminum mag wells, rails all over the place, ambidextrous this and that etc. but if it's not perfect from the get go the forums light up bashing the manufacturer who is doing the best they can. Sorry , I'm going off on a tangent. Bottom line, CSA did not have any plans at the time of my call to venture down that path.

I'd take one