Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 42 c.22/.410 O/U Rifle/Shotgun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rocket Surgery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
    Nice looking all weather hiking gun. Too bad my safe is full at the moment. Better get another one soon.
    How it matte blued all weather?

He probably means the synthetic stock, I prefer to hunt on fair days only so its not really a problem for me.

Any reviews on these rifles?

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpx9p4s5EE

I think that a gizmo to break it down without tolls will show up one day or another.
    CCFR, NFA and CPC member.

... load one, skip one, load four...

I was going to buy one of these until I got to hold one. Feels REALLY CHEAP! The ejecter is plastic and you have to eject by hand, it isnt spring loaded.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfield303 View Post
    I was going to buy one of these until I got to hold one. Feels REALLY CHEAP! The ejecter is plastic and you have to eject by hand, it isnt spring loaded.

I agree that compared to the model 24s which I have many of, yes the 42 feels rather toyesh. With that being said if you put a model 42 in my hand to replace my 24 d 22mag - 20 gauge I would take the lighter, shorter, nimble and pervious to weather conditions model 42 hands down; providing it came in 22mag over 20 guage.

As for the auto ejectors, the model 24 line up never hadem nor would I have wanted them to. Just another moving part that could fail you out in the bush. This is a "savage" not a browning cynergy feather lol. Leave them auto ejectors for the skeet and upland boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesout View Post
    I agree that compared to the model 24s which I have many of, yes the 42 feels rather toyesh. With that being said if you put a model 42 in my hand to replace my 24 d 22mag - 20 gauge I would take the lighter, shorter, nimble and pervious to weather conditions model 42 hands down; providing it came in 22mag over 20 guage.

As for the auto ejectors, the model 24 line up never hadem nor would I have wanted them to. Just another moving part that could fail you out in the bush. This is a "savage" not a browning cynergy feather lol. Leave them auto ejectors for the skeet and upland boys.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

CGN Regular
    Bought one the other day. I actually don't mind the look/feel so much, and it's nice and light. Action is smooth, but trigger a little heavy.
    Took it to the indoor range today, and now I'm a little disappointed. Both barrels print to same POI (HV .22, .410 slug), but that POI is way high even with rear sight bottomed out. I also had to dial the rear sight as far left as I could. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I should start modifying the rear sight, or looking for an aftermarket piece. Not wanting to put glass on it.

CGN Regular
    Ok, after much effort, I discovered that there was a burr in the barrel left by the crowning cut at the factory. Watch for it !

Ill wait 2 months. Ive been waiting for this thing for a year now, whats another 2 months for the WMR. The model 24's are awesome, i hope the new model 42's can live upto its brothers reputation. The major down fall I herd of, is the sights are kinda crappy. I Will be putting on a fastfire for sure.

One question for gunsmiths... It has a fixed open choke.... Any chance a guy can thread it to take chokes? Im planning on using this as my grouse gun, and would like an improved cylinder or modified choke. I'd ask a friend, but I dont know anyone that has a .410 shotgun.
    Last edited by S1de8urnz; 01-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    -SideBurnz-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast