Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: MSAR Clear AR mags in stock

Quote Originally Posted by zupermann View Post
    I sanded mine down and deepened the mag retention slot a tad. Now they drop out freely most of the time. It's a pity about being pinned at 5 versus 5.5. Maybe the importer was scared that some official would manage to squeeze 6 rounds in one and hence seize the whole shipment.

Has anyone noticed that the mag plates seem to be glued as well?
    Yeah, that kind of ticks me off, how the hell is a guy supposed to clean out his magazine with the plates glued to the mag body? 4 out of my 10 mags will drop free, the other 6 do not drop free. I still have to get them out to the range and test them out soon. I love the way the translucent mags look, thanks dead zombies.

CGN Regular
    I received my order of 20 clear/amber MSAR 5/30 round magazines. *Edit* All of these mags are '09 manufacture, as others had indicated.

5 of the 20 will drop free when empty. 14 fit "snugly" and require varying degrees of force to seat and unseat them. One fits very tightly when loaded and requires a great deal of force to be removed. I test fit each of the mags both loaded and unloaded in 4 different AP lowers I have here at the moment.

Overall, the plastic appears to be a good solid tough space age material. However, for some retarded reason, all of the mag base plates have been glued. This bothers me as there is some junk from the rivet job inside the mag body I would like to clean out, and the logical path to do so has been blocked. The rivet job is very well done, but it is done so that the 5 rounds you can jam in the mag are pretty tight, and I can see some hangups on feeding the first round. They should have been pinned lower, but those that have these mags can see that the spot on the rib/spine is such that it was either likely too snug, or too loose because of the form change at the location it was riveted...

As these are the only game in town right now, and probably for a long while, I suppose they will have to do. Likely a bit of sanding will fix the fit issue of the snug fit.

PMAGS these aint, but these aren't the worst mags ever made either. Somewhere in between
    Last edited by Zargon; 01-17-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Kinda what I was thinking. The main thing is if they work reliably. Then they are a good deal despite the necessary tweaks.

CGN Regular
    Yup. I'm going to reserve judgement until I fix a few of these sticky ones and see what it takes. Have to think about a way to get the base plate off as well, that really bugs me.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blaxsun's Avatar
    $20-$24 for these? I think the PMAG monopoly in Canada is safe for the foreseeable future (especially with the new M3s)... I guess if you're looking for a cheap, semi-reliable magazine these probably fit the bill.
    "Before me things create were none, save things Eternal,
    and eternal I endure. All hope abandon ye who enter here."
    Tune in next week... Same
    Bat time, same Bat channel.

I wonder if you could grove the follower to fit 5.5?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    what I read about them in the states was that they had some molding issue and the mag bodies would be bulged enough that if you load it with 20-30 rounds, they would start falling off the follower. This might explain the tightness of some mags, but it wouldnt effect function since we only load 5 rounds anyway

From one of the previous MSAR staff:
    Ill tell you what happened. Since I was the guy that worked on them.

The tool to make them was a single cavity with a pull core for the internal part of the mag. Now the pull core, for those that don't already know, is a sliding core that forms the inside of the part. In this case the pull core formed everything inside up until the feed lips. Because it is pulled out it has to have draft to it to allow it to come out easily. There was a big debate between myself, Tony and the toolmaker on how much draft should be put on this component. Both the toolmaker and I wanted to have as little as possible to keep the gaps small. Tony didn't believe this was possible.

I won, we put very little draft on the part (similar to the pmag). However, the toolmaker subcontracted this part out to another tool shop where it was made....very poorly. The surfaces were wavy (+ .004"ish) which meant that as the core was pulled, it expanded the mag itself. This expantion allowed the rounds to essentially fall off the follower. You will probably find videos of people loading their mags and take the top 2 out and then it stops feeding. Well that was the problem.

After some time I found the problem and had the original toolmaker fix it. This was around June/July 09. We tested them in numerous lowers. Dave was part of that actually. And we had no problems. The materials that go into the mag are very hot during the molding process and if the core and the tool itself is not properly maintained it would change shape. This is what I believe happened. After the fix, no precautions were made (read budget constraints) to coat the tool to prevent warping cores or cavities. That explains why for awhile we had good mags and then over time they became worse and exhibited functions of the original mags.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blaxsun's Avatar
    After the fix, no precautions were made (read budget constraints) to coat the tool to prevent warping cores or cavities. That explains why for awhile we had good mags and then over time they became worse and exhibited functions of the original mags.
    That's a glowing endorsement...
    "Before me things create were none, save things Eternal,
    and eternal I endure. All hope abandon ye who enter here."
    Tune in next week... Same
    Bat time, same Bat channel.

So they ship the old batch up to Canada? cause no one wants them down there..
    Ive also got bits of something rattling around in my mags, really need to find a way to remove the base plate in-tacked

Quote Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
    I wonder if you could grove the follower to fit 5.5?
    I was thinking of just banging down on the follower hoping to bend something? lol