Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Running Guns.....accross the border

CGN frequent flyer WestIslandRifle's Avatar
    can you guys get the mec gar 32 round mags for the xd 9mm pinned to 10? if so how much?
    member C.P.C.A, NFA and F.Q.T
    "Keep your powder dry , and your eyes on the target " R.Lee Ermey.

Yep been following all these posts... I'm thinking 2013 is going to be good for prices. Fingers crossed.

It's funny, I still remember buying a New Glock17 back in the late 90's for $1300.

CGN frequent flyer BigBeaverBoomStix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    I don't shop at Walmart. Haven't set foot in one since high school.
    OK, good point, see what you mean, huh?

So it's like the Home Depot of guns, who doesn't shop at Home Depot?

In other words a large scale, customer oriented, US based business that dominates the mass market through competitive prices and larger inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms Corp View Post
    Just to set the record straight......

No one bringing firearms or products in to Canada internationally is doing anything any different than anyone else as far as the procedure goes. It is completely up to us as dealers, to be competitive. That's it and that's all.

Cheers !!
    The OPs qualifier is "....as far as procedure goes...." This is a fair statement that nobody can really argue with. Where the OP should be worried is what a US based exporter can offer that they can't. For example, I have been trying to source a FN shotgun for about a year now with no success. Irunguns replied within one day telling me they can get me this for me. Since FN refuses to deal with Canadians dealing with a US dealer like Irunguns is my only hope. Finding a US dealer willing to get me one and ship it up to me has been a very discouraging task, Irunguns seemed interested in working with me.

Dlask will have a hard time competing with situations like this.

Dlask, can you get FN shotguns? If so I would love to hear from you.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBeaverBoomStix View Post
    Yea, sort of like the Walmart of guns entering the canadian market...who doesn't shop at Walmart?

That said, I LOVE Dlask product, they've got my business for excellent stuff, good service and local status - support for the home team.

Canadian dealers can easily challenge Irunguns, the key is to import bulk items that can be sold more competitively than the more costly individual import cost process of Irunguns, and I can see that Dlask is already doing that, so good job guys. Import more mags please!!! (Glock 10/17, 9mm AR, and the list goes on....)
    As said above, the special order stuff is where the game is going to change. I believe "IRUNGUNS" will not be successful with products that already exist in Canada. This is because of the economics of quantity. Existing sellers in Canada will be able to beat the price (if they decide they want to) 8 times out of 10 because they will be ordering in much larger quantities and splitting the import cost between many more items. That being said i believe they WILL be successful with the special order market. This wont be because of 'cheapness', but availability. For many products, there simply isnt enough demand to bring quantities in. However, if price isnt your main concern, then they will definitely be the place to do it. This isnt to say they will necessarily be more expensive, but the convenience of ordering local for about the same price (once you factor in their import costs) speaks for itself.

Dlask is right, they are all going through the same process. The difference is their business objectives. Most (all?) current canadian companies are built around the idea of ordering in quantities and selling in quantities. IRUNGUNS will succeed with special order stuff where it doesnt make any sense for the normal retailers to waste their time. They'll be making money on the import fee and process rather than the profits from scale.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Everybody has to make a profit to stay in business but how much profit are Canadian importer/dealers going to settle for. If I get a price quote from the new guy in town will Dlask match it or just be competitive, since as Dlask puts it everybody has to play by the same rules.

CGN Regular
    I hate walmart here too. But when I'm in the US with beer , cheap disposable cell phones, nascar stuff, ar's, etc. I love the place. All depends on what they have to offer.

Glock worked hard to block other people from bringing their products into Canada, outside of the networks they had set up. Often it's the company that blocks the import and not the government. Some do it for trade reasons, others out of fear of BATF finding some perceived wrongdoing.
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    I don't shop at Walmart. Haven't set foot in one since high school.
    How about Target?
    They are about to enter the Can. market in a big way. The reason I mention them is because I have fond memories of pushing a shopping cart nearly full of cheap 12 gauge ammo thru the till. A friend and I had gone down to Albany OR for a full auto shoot,, and we made an arrangement with a guy that owned a USAS-12 to run our own ammo in it.

So if Target has stupidly cheap ammo up here, would you buy from a big box store?

Oh, BTW, good on Dlask for accepting the challenge IRunGuns has thrown down...

The OP is correct in saying that the new kid isn't exactly doing anything new procedure-wise...plenty of Canadian dealers are willing to do this sort of thing for us. However, as many have pointed out, the new kid is an American-based company and as such deals in MUCH more volume than any Canadian dealer does, which in turn leads to lower prices and an enormous amount of stock on hand. Again, this is very similar to how the megacompanies of the USA such as Target, Walmart etc. operate.

Some of the dealers may be wary of this tough competition as they will have to adjust accordingly. I do not think this is a negative thing for the consumer or the dealers though.
    Because of the lower prices being offered, there may in fact be much more people who are willing and eager to spend 75% of what it cost some of us 5-10 years ago to get in the game. The savings and availability of stock is enough to encourage many new people to the shooting sports which will translate into more and more people putting their money into the industry. A good thing for dealers on both sides of the border. Lower prices = more buying = more transaction = more money in everyone's pocket!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast