Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crash Test - Axis - THE FUN BEGINS

Supporting Dealer

Crash Test - Axis - THE FUN BEGINS

Well, here we go. This is the before pics and video of the Savage Axis that is going to undergo some Crash Testing.

The barrel is a Stevens 223Rem, 9 twist. Stock has light bedding done. Trigger tuned and bolt timing done. All cases used for cycling tests just have the bullet seated and no primer/powder.

Scope is a Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA scope in Burris PERP mount. It is overly tall but the only QD set up I had. works and I can just throw a towel on the comb.

Worked up a load using Hrn 75gr BTHP, Win cases, Varget, CCI 450. Looks like this 23.7gr load wants to shoot (100yds, about -3C but light winds). This group is 1/2" CtC. I will shoot it again to confirm but it meets the test requirement of 1/2 min and about I expect from a factory rifle barrel. It might be a bit tigher but I am not the worlds best shooter off a Harris. I am using this to keep consistent with the other videos and it is quick and easy to get on and off.

I might mount a rail and use the MPOD at a later time but the Harris does what I need for the testing.

The forend has been opened way up. yes, the forend flexes but with this much clearance, the barrel doesn't hit anything when fired.

The rear of the stock has been cut down and reshaped - kind of crude at this time with sand marks on buttstock.

Thought I would do a short video of the rifle function testing while it is new. Trigger, safety and function works just fine. I have been very happy with how well this rifle feeds and cycles. As fast as you can run the bolt.

I am going to start thinking up a range of tests and will post them as they get done. For sure, we will do a drag test, frozen test, sand test, toss test, and maybe others I can think up.

The goals are to see how this rifle will stand up to very rough but not destructive use. How will this plastic fantastic survive being in the field under rough conditions?

The rifle will be tested for accuracy after the impact tests to see if there has been any degradation. BUT in light of safety, the rifle will never be fired with a bore obstruction of any kind. AMMO will not be fired if dirty or wet. Cases used in the cycling tests will not be live.

The scope will not be part of the abuse which is why I needed the QD mount.

The bore will be swabbed after each test so cold bore shot may be out of the group. This will be marked on the target. At 100yds off a Harris in calm air, the rifle baseline accuracy is 1/2min. Be interesting to see how much, if any, accuracy changes.

The rifle is considered "a fail" for a test if:

- it has a major component break,
    - it cannot cycle, stay cocked or fire. Safety no longer functions
    - safety must be functional at the beginning of every stage.

For safety sake, an empty case will be chambered and the muzzle taped - we know all too well what junk in the bore does and I like my body parts just where they are.

So stay tuned as we get this show on the road....

Enjoy

Jerry

PS Disclaimer - I do not sell any firearms as a dealer. This is my personal rifle and I am just abusing it for S&G's. Do not attempt any of these tests as they can damage your rifle or render it unsafe to use. Follow all manf safety useage and handling
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-20-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Supporting Dealer
    And the fun begins ...

Gives you an idea of how raised this 1st location is

INTRO AND WARNING....

First the low toss.
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Supporting Dealer

The High Toss. About a 20ft drop. Made for a nice THUD

Here is the result. Still going strong

Jerry
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-20-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Supporting Dealer
    The 2x200yd dash.

This was a lot of fun and amazed at how much bouncing and jumping the rifle went through. The rings definitely pulled off the rail and the rail also tore so it was a combo failure. There were plenty of rocks under that snow which lead to some of the bouncing you can see. Speed was around 15 - 20kph.

Was driving up a pretty big incline to get to the target - we shoot up a hill. I did drive up to the 200yds target. I meant we had traveled half way to the 400yds goal

The rifle did just fine even when very full of snow. A blob of snow fell into the receiver causing that first stumble but it cleared with little effort and the action went back on cycling. All functions remain intact and the safety stayed locked even with all that bumping around Very impressed.

The final 200yds dash home. This time I stomped on the gas going down hill and hit 25kph. Was a little worried that things might be a bit too spicy but enjoy the video. Speaks for itself.

Jerry
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Supporting Dealer

Taking the Axis apart after getting home and examining the rifle. The scope rail really showed alot of wear. The pic rail bumps are worn and some are almost worn off. The area where the rings were attached have torn off. Strong enough for shooting and normal useage but not ideal if things are going to be abusive.

Accuracy test to follow

Jerry

Some close ups. Sorry quality of pic not so good.

Rings and rail are scratched up pretty good. The rings are bowed legged as they tore off the rail. The rails has lots of finish and aluminum scrapped off. The rear of the base is actually rounded.

Stock took a big hit. That is a nice deep gouge so the impact was heavy. Didn't seem to upset the receiver or rest of the rifle. This happend in the final 200yds pull

The bolt knob got some scratches and a couple of dings but nothing structural. Nothing to hinder its performance
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Supporting Dealer
    Back at the range. Here are some pics of the rifle and you can see the serial is the same so the same rifle was used throughout.

Here you can see plainly the bumps and bruises on the stock, bolt handle and rail. Say what you want about the stock, it is made of a very tough polymer that can take some serious impacts.

Here is 4 shots to prove the rifle is still working just fine. Bummer on the last shot and you can see what happened below

Cold bore 3rds group on the left. 4 Shots from the video on the right.

No extra holes in the backstop :-)

So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the accuracy of the rifle after all the abuse it has taken.

Jerry
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Supporting Dealer
    Here is the SAND test.

Action cleared the grit very nicely and never lost ability to function. Any bolt action will fill up with dirt if enough is introduced so this test is more about how an action keeps dirt OUT of the receiver when it is closed then anything else.

Was nice to see that the clearances in the Axis are tight enough for smooth function but there is enough gaps for grit to escape. That front gas baffle is a huge plus in keeping grit out of the lock up area and chamber. The rifle will get stripped tonight and really cleaned.

Well, the final freeze test is underway since 11am this morning (5:30pm time of this update). Been a tough one seeing the rifle sitting in the snow. All day it has been wet snow, rain and sleet.... YUCK. Now it is snowing and the rifle is covered. Might get buried by morning. So we will have an ice cube on our hands. Not likely to get much worst for wet and cold. Hope it isn't rusted solid by morning.

After over 22hrs in the rain and snow and cold, the Axis has survived with flying colours. Although caked in snow and ice, it functioned just fine. A light film of synthetic lube likely helped to keep all the parts from freezing together. A simple tip to keep a rifle running when conditions get mucky

Jerry
    Last edited by Mystic Precision; 12-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I look forward to seeing the results of this!
    F-Class Junkie

I'll be reading this with earnest! I bough this little rifle as a cheap, lightweight beater & varmint control at the cabin. Interested to see how it holds up for sure.
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

Just picked one of these little beauties up a couple of weeks ago. Look forward to reading more.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast