Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it illegal to possess a barrel shorter than 106mm in Canada?

Is it illegal to possess a barrel shorter than 106mm in Canada?

I understand the law states barrels 105mm or shorter are prohibited - but does that specifically mean inside the weapon, or does that mean you can't have one at all? If I were to purchase a Glock 26 with a 106mm barrel from someone like Questar, what happens to the stock barrel? Is it tossed away? Do I still get it and cannot use it?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bear.23's Avatar
    It means the part.. When a company does a conversion If they do the conversion in the US they can sell the barrel in the US (which is unlikely).. If the conversion is done in Canada they turn it in and have it destroyed as part of the process to get the firearm re-registered.
    Tired, Old, Sore & Cranky... What else is new..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bear.23 View Post
    It means the part.. When a company does a conversion If they do the conversion in the US they can sell the barrel in the US (which is unlikely).. If the conversion is done in Canada they turn it in and have it destroyed as part of the process to get the firearm re-registered.
    I am confused here, not to hard to do when I am still working on my first cuppa coffee.
    I have never heard of the barrel being destroyed to change regi of an "R Class" Firearm to "Non"
    I was talking with both Elwood Epps and Barry at BoP in Delta and they both said they could not give me the stock barrel when converting a CX Storm to the Non R firearm.
    To which I have seen the shorter barrels at EE for sale with no permits req.
    But, that doesnt mean there is some fine print I was/am not privy too as I do not need the stock (short) barrel.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    I have never heard of the barrel being destroyed to change regi of an "R Class" Firearm to "Non"
    Not sure of the terminology, but does "R Class" mean Restricted and "Non" mean Ron-Restricted? If so, that's not what's happening, because the weapon is still Restricted being it's a handgun, correct? Forgive my ignorance if I'm way off. Virtual slap me if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bear.23 View Post
    I HAVE read something about the gun having to be re-registered with the new barrel to make it legal since one with a 3.5" barrel wouldn't be legal to start with.
    Last edited by FightingIrish; 12-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccrank View Post
    Not sure of the terminology, but does "R Class" mean Restricted and "Non" mean Ron-Restricted? If so, that's not what's happening, because the weapon is still Restricted being it's a handgun, correct? Forgive my ignorance if I'm way off. Virtual slap me if necessary.
    I may be a smartass or even a dumbass from time to time, but there is no need to virtual slap this morning.
    You asked a valid question and a couple answers where forth coming.
    One had all the information and the other answered and asked a question ..so a two for one deal if you may.
    Just my humble experience (20+ yrs) in dealing with the now defunct firearms regi.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

TS is asking about converting prohibited to restricted, not restricted to non.
    The prohibited pistol barrel is the prohibited device you cannot own. Like nunchucks, throwing stars, and balisongs due to their deadliness......

Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    TS is asking about converting prohibited to restricted, not restricted to non.
    The prohibited pistol barrel is the prohibited device you cannot own. Like nunchucks, throwing stars, and balisongs due to their deadliness......
    Correct. Swapping out a Prohibited barrel with a Restricted barrel. So it sounds to me, if I'm understanding correctly, that it's the individual part that is illegal, regardless of whether or not it's installed in the gun.
    Last edited by FightingIrish; 12-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    NFA, NRA and C.H.A.S.

Quote Originally Posted by tmccrank View Post
    Correct. Swapping out a Prohibited barrel with a Restricted barrel. So it sounds to me, if I'm understanding correctly, that it's the individual part that is illegal, regardless of whether or not it's installed in the weapon.
    Yep....the barrel by itself.

BANNED
    Prohib device. Like silencers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast