Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% 1911 frames

Are 60% 1911 frames going to be made available again? I wanted to purchase one the other day but they are no longer listed on Dlask's website.
    - God created the Earth, Mauser drew the property lines
    - Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
    - Member NFA/CSSA/NRA/RCAF/CPC

I'd love to see some 60% recievers made available again. Take my money, take it.

I should have bought 10 of them back in the day when they were still around. all good things come to an end

Joe told me about 1 out of 5 frames ever get finished. the rest get butchered or just give up.....who's got a butchered frame for sale?

last time I talked to Joe he said he's waiting on some forgings and will make another batch of AR 80% recievers as well as 10/22 80% receivers.....I think I'm gonna grab quite a few this time

CGN Regular Bobby and The Devil's Avatar
    So what is it about the 60% and 80% frames that keep them from being 100%?

Is it still possible to put barrels, slides, bushings, etc on them even if the intent isn't to make them fully working firearms?

just google or youtube ar 80%. i'm not sure about the 1911 frames, but the ar's usually can be completed with a jig and drill press...some kits i''ve seen also need to be tapped for the buffer tube. might not be as slick as if it was completed with a milling machine but it gets the job done. i think its more of a US thing where up too a certain level of completion and its still not classified as a firearm (so no ffl dealer, serial number, can never sell it, so forth and so on). however up here the laws seem to be a little more grey (go figure)...i think (and this is just from what i've read here) that there are no official rules or laws up here as far as uncompleted frames or receivers are concerned. if/when a receiver gets completed there must be a serial number on it and must be registered *if restricted* and possibly even taken in to get verified. i'm not sure about the resale of a completed frame up in canada if its been completed by a non-licensed party.

Sponsoring Business
    You need to call Joe about those questions. Heads up though......we are concentrating on parts and our new online store......that's where the money is. We don't want to be "shoe cobblers" anymore. Its a pain in the butt and takes up too much time. Better that we concentrate on manufacturing quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby and The Devil View Post
    So what is it about the 60% and 80% frames that keep them from being 100%?

Is it still possible to put barrels, slides, bushings, etc on them even if the intent isn't to make them fully working firearms?
    The ATF had made a ruling as to what constitutes an "unfinished" 1911 anyways. It can have everything finished except for:

Slide rails or rail indexing marks
    The barrel seat
    More than two of the following holes holes drilled
    Slide stop pivot
    Sear pivot
    Disconnector
    Hammer pin.

Different companies choose to do different configurations on their 80% frames. Just recently, they've really taken off. You can't find 80% 1911 frames ANYWHERE now. A company in the states did a few runs of the "rudius" which is a configuration I'm not too keen on. It's an 80% frame, which uses a polymer lower for the grip portion and trigger guard of the frame, and the steel "upper" portion of the 1911 is machined by them up to the 80% point. They sell jigs and fixtures to allow you to finish it fairly easy. They sold out fast. They also sold out of their 80% ar lowers, and run a program at their shop in California that allows "Build Parties" where you go in, pay for your AR receiver, and they have a CNC machine set up, with all the programming ready to go. You simply put your receiver in the vice, push the go buttom, and an hour later you have a finished AR lower, then you configure your AR on the spot and walk out with a new AR sans paperwork and background checks. Sarco has also sold many many łnfinished` 1911 frames, but their quality varies and they commonly use reject frames that have been scuffed or dicked up, and the quality from what I understand from friends in the states is hit or miss, with a hit still being on the ####ty side. It`s possible to build a 1911 in Canada and then have it registered, but there is a good amount of work that goes into it, fitting the slide to rails, properly laying out and indexing the holes, and making everything kosher. Plus, the prices on the 80%ers tends to be sky high compared to buying a complete 1911 frame with everything already done and slapping your favourite parts on it. Doing the math, it makes much more sense to buy a norc 1911 frame if you can from Armco and building it how you want. Saves you a bunch of cash on tooling and parts and trinkets you would need, or would be beneficial to build your own 1911 to somewhat quality standards (Slide rail fitting bars, files, stones, etc etc etc etc).

The real `benefit` that most people see in the whole unfinished receiver game is not having the paperwork with it. I`m sure former 80% guns will start turning up at crime scenes in the states soon. However in Canada, it won`t work the same because of the registry.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Pocketfisherman's Avatar
    I have two of joes 60% frames. I was going make them into book ends. They are basically dimensionally correct solid pieces of steel, they need complete maching. If anyone wants mine PM me.
    CSSA member, free thinker, Garand and 1911 nut

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fat tony's Avatar
    a forward observation post in the L-F-H horizon, or Nova Scotia
    Judging by the way the laws are going in Canada (just shy of full retard as usual) it won't be long before the definition of: "constructive intent" is widened to include unauthorized thoughts. I too recall when there were: "80 percent" chunks of metal available. Not to worry.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterP View Post
    who's got a butchered frame for sale?
    I have one but not for sale. It came pre-butchered by dlask for a project as I only wanted the 1911 grip area.
    Was going to make a custom gear shifter handle but never got around to it.
    Had to called and ask for it, or maybe I emailed them.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast