Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good first .22 or shotgun?

What is a good first .22 or shotgun?

Shortly I will be buying my first gun. I want a .22 between 200-350 and for the shotgun I am debating between the 12 and 20 gauge with a $500 budget. Any ideas?

Get one of each, both have their purpose. I like my 10-22 for cheap plinking (and 25 round mags), and I love my 12 gauge for destroying clay or paper.

CGN frequent flyer
    You will receive a pile of different answers for each.

For the .22:

Some will undoubtedly say pay more than your price range, and get a CZ. They are good rifles, but you pay for what you get. In your price range, I would suggest a Marlin XT-22, or a Savage. Both Marlin & Savage have a lot of different options, so you will need to do some research to find out what you want. It seems to me that some models of the Marlins are hard to get here in Canada, but the Savages should not be any trouble at all, as they are manufactured right here.

For the shotgun:

I would look at the Mossbergs. You can get some good deals on them. Just as a quick example, Epps lists the 500 (solid gun) with a 3 barrel package, for $481.25. If you shop around, you should be able to get something you like for a nice price.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodfull87 View Post
    Shortly I will be buying my first gun. I want a .22 between 200-350 and for the shotgun I am debating between the 12 and 20 gauge with a $500 budget. Any ideas?
    For a shotgun in that price point I would suggest a winchester sxp, its slightly more than a 870. In a waterfowl camo 28inch barrel and 3 chokes you can find around $469.99. It is the fastest cycling pump on the market. If you are able to get a 2011 model as it has the dura touch coating and a nickel plated receive, the 2012s do not. All in all a great pump shot gun. You can get a decent .22 for the price point you are looking at. Semis a 597, bolt almost anything you want except a T bolt which run about $700. Hope this helps

What will you be using the guns for?This will make the difference on which to buy.
    NFA,CSSA.DU,RMEF,TU

I agree, depends what you are looking to do. My first gun was a Savage Model 111 in .270. Fit my budget, wasn't fancy, but it worked for deer. I just bought my wife a Mossberg tactical 22. Its her first gun, looks impressive, its cheap to shoot cans and there is no kick.
    Either way, shotgun or .22 you cant go wrong. Shotgun gives you the option of going for bird, but nothing is cheaper to shoot than a .22...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FoxAlpha's Avatar
    For the 22 get a ruger 10/22. It seems to be most people's go to .22, for good reason. I've got one and all though it may not be my favourite, ill never get rid of it.
    For the shotgun, go with a mossberg 500 combo (as mentioned above)if you ever plan to hunt with it, or a mossberg 590 if its going to be primarily a target/fun gun. Or any 870 model. Can get anything for them 870s.
    I survived the gun control scare of 2013 and all I got was this t-shirt.......
    And 30 PMags, 5000 rounds of .223, 3000 rounds of 9mm, 5 BCG's, 5 stripped lowers, and a really pissed off wife.

Mainly just target practice for now. In a couple years I wouldn't mind getting into hunting deer.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Mainly just target practice for now. In a couple years I wouldn't mind getting into hunting deer.
    Pretty hard to beat the Savage FV-SR for an affordable 22.

As for a shotgun, that's tougher if you want something just for the range. And certainly very tough at the under 500 price point.

Keep in mind to that there is a Rimfire section & a Shotgun section that you can post these questions in. The Newbie forum might not get you as much attention as the correct forums...

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MartyK2500's Avatar
    I had the same debate when my pal got in. I ended up buying a mossberg 590 and an sks instead of a rimfire. Got the 10/22 later.
    With the sks you can get a big crate of ammo for cheap, plus since you are talking of target fun gun, sks is a starting point for many people.
    The gun itself is dirt cheap too, if i would have a chance to go back i wouldn't change a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast