Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.Korean M1 Garands?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

S.Korean M1 Garands?

Read over on another board that the Garands wont be going to the States because O doesn't want them or something. So Johnone something to check out, maybe?

the Americans will have to approve the transfer...if O doesn't want them...he won't release then to canada unless we get real lucky....

CGN frequent flyer
    Man I'd love some surplus Garands.

I bought ONE years ago for 400ish.

I should have bought 10.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by evolture View Post
    Actually, he DIDN'T comment.

Leaving lots of room for speculation and rumour-mongering!

The last I heard was that dealers here were interested until they heard the prices being suggested by the South Koreans.
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

Here is a link to the article from yesterday about the US opposing the sale. Looks to be more State Department dreamn't up terrorist/gang/accident's paranoia!!!! Sounds like the evil anti's are up to the same thing south of the border.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Upon further investigation, I found out this. Which may or may not be the reason. If it is, then why didn't the government say this instead of the above crappy lies?

The Koreans cannot prove that they ever paid for all of those M1's with their own money.

"In the absence of such proof, the U.S. Government takes the position that the material was given to the Korea and therefore the U.S. Government is not going to allow them to sell the rifles and keep the money.

MAP grants are not "loans." The Koreans own the rifles - Lock stock and barrel. They can keep them until the end of time if they wish and your congressman cannot compel them to return them to the US. The only problem is when the Koreans decide they don't want to keep them anymore. They can either sell them and give the money, less packing costs, directly to the US government or they can return the rifles and bill the U.S. Government for the packing cost. This is unlikely to happen as the Koreans know these things are worth $500 - $1000 each on the US retail market and they want the money in their pocket, not the CMP's."
    Last edited by Smitsauce; 08-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.

BANNED
    The Korea Times quotes a wholesale value for the rifles similar to what I've read elsewhere- "...The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry. "

Not sure what the typical wholesale (govt) to retail (local surplus store) markup is for this sort of transaction, but obviously the govt can't be expecting to get $1k per rifle....
    Last edited by nntw; 08-13-2010 at 12:30 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Winchester-1897's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostntheshell View Post
    Man I'd love some surplus Garands.

I bought ONE years ago for 400ish.

I should have bought 10.
    I remember in the Mid 80's garands going for $150. They were brought in by Ontario Auto Mart from a deal with the North Vietnamize. They were apparently left behind after the War ended by the US. The US were arming the ARVN troops with them in the early part of the War.

Those were in very bad condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast