Thread: A question about how custom a rifle can get

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar

A question about how custom a rifle can get

I'm curious as to what limitations there are for how custom a rifle you folks are able to build/assemble? Specifically I ask because the idea I have in mind would require completely custom machining a rail, stock adapter, and/or receiver. Or is this more a question of how much I want to spend and how long it takes me to run out of money?

The general gist of what I'm looking for is some species of scout rifle:
    *bolt action .308 capable of top feeding and with open vertical access to ejection port/magwell.
    *Detachable box magazine, compatible with AI magazines.
    *19" threaded barrel.
    *Compatible with AR stocks, which may require some weird science.
    *picatinny rail forestock.

I am working on the design right now before getting my heart set on particulars, to see if would even look halfway decent as a 3D model before getting into the issue of balance and weight and cost, but I wanted to ask to see if there's anything that jumps out as being unfeasible and/or stupid. I'm sure I'm probably not the first guy to ask about stuff like putting an AR stock onto a boltgun, or making a unique rail, or making a scout rifle. It will be a while before I get the design to the point of being able to send a formal email and start asking intelligent questions, so I just wanted to ask here as other people might be interested in the answers.

Thanks, see you after the holidays.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

As far as I know.... If its for only you and not to sell, worlds the limit within the law and class of license you have..... Spend to your hearts content

Get a MDT chassis.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dustin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig4000 View Post
    Get a MDT chassis.
    yeah... that
    Remington SPS tactical I think would get you almost exactly there with the MDT Tac21 chassis
    Political Correctness offends me

"It hurt my feeling (I only have one left)"-Stormbringer

I need more Colts...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Hmm, never heard of that before. Thanks.
    It's pretty close, and it would probably end up being about a grand cheaper.
    Nevertheless, I do still want to get an ATRS rifle. All my stuff is American or German, I need something Canadian.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    We can machine/build/fabricate pretty much anything a person could want, subject to laws. It really boils down to how much money a person wants to spend on developing a working model, writing programs for the machines, then machine time to actually make the finished product. Typically for a 1 of it is cost prohibitive.

With there already being several manufacturers of chassis style stocks that employ AR15 butt stocks in assorted configurations, I have to agree with some of the other posts that to buy something already in existence will be MANY thousands of dollars less expensive.
    Most of these various chassis will only Remington 700 actions, some will with modification allow some of the custom actions to be used.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there