Thread: Storage Transport Newbie.

Storage Transport Newbie.

Hi,

Interested in storage and transport.

1. How do you store your restricted firearm and ammo at home? legally.

2. How do you transport your restricted firearm and ammo to the gun range?

Planning to purchase a cabinet to store both my handgun & ammo, firearm unloaded with trigger lock and the ammo inside the same cabinet, cabinet locked.

Should I have the ammo locked within its own case within this cabinet or in its original box is ok?

Trips to range, transport ammo within my knapsack in locked case or not? Handgun trigger locked unloaded within its own locked case? Simple easy 2 articles to carry knapsack with gear and case for handgun.

legal?

So many things to think about.

I hope if I ask those out there who have gone through this that it might help me be more clear on the best methods to use.

Appreciate it.

Thanks rkwm

CGN frequent flyer airtruck63chev's Avatar
    JESUS PROMISED THE END OF ALL WICKED PEOPLE
    ODIN PROMISED THE END OF ALL ICE GIANTS
    I DON'T SEE MANY ICE GIANTS AROUND

Sounds like you have not yet taken the Safety Course for your PAL...your questions are covered in the course. The legal requirements are on the RCMP web site and anything you do above the legal requirements is your option.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

Thanks

rkwm

You might want to use the actual law and not the RCMP site. It has been wrong and misleading in the past.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/

Shawn

(1)While I agree with Shawn, the RCMP site Nitpicker posted is much easier to read for a newbie. While it may not be 100% to the letter of the law, it'd be damn difficult for a charge to stick when the 'top' police force wrote the paper to which you are adhering to. I haven't read it in a while but I believe it's dictates slightly more than what's legally required. (Anyone who's more recently read this than I, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

The very short version is No, your storage is not legal. Ammo must be stored away from the firearm, unless it's in a SAFE or VAULT. Your cabinet does not qualify. Even if it's locked, you must still treat your firearm as if it were sitting on a shelf or on display. While there's been at least one incidence where a judge decided a locked steel locker qualified as a safe, I would not want to be the guy being told at his kitchen table he's being charged with unsafe storage because another cop doesn't know this.

Lock your gun in the cabinet, with a trigger lock on it. Buy metal tool box, and lock your ammo in it.

(2) The rules on this are pretty simple.
    Trigger lock on the restricted guns. Restricted guns in sturdy, locked cases that are not transparent. Do not transport any gun in any container that makes it look like something else, ie; No musical instrument cases. Pelican cases (or any rectangular case) are fine. Ammo goes in a separate box, or in it's original boxes, which do not have to be locked. Personally I find surplus ammo cases excellent for transporting my ammunition. They're cheap and sturdy and usually waterproof, and can be made lockable if you want to. You can transport loaded mags, they just must be separate from the firearm.
    Non Restricted can be transported without trigger locks, and in unlocked cases, by law.
    Last edited by Noltz; 12-25-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    The very short version is No, your storage is not legal. Ammo must be stored away from the firearm, unless it's in a SAFE or VAULT. Your cabinet does not qualify. Even if it's locked, you must still treat your firearm as if it were sitting on a shelf or on display. While there's been at least one incidence where a judge decided a locked steel locker qualified as a safe, I would not want to be the guy being told at his kitchen table he's being charged with unsafe storage because another cop doesn't know this.
    Sorry not true, you need to re-read the law.

Storage as the OP described is100% legal. Assuming his cabinet meets the criteria of constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open. Even the RCMP site says it can be in the same locked container as the firearm. There is nothing in the law about ammo needing to be in a safe. Remember that the firearms act can only regulate firearms not ammo.

Here's what the law actually says:

6. An individual may store a restricted firearm only if
    (a) it is unloaded;
    (b) it is
    (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or
    (ii) stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in
    (i) a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or
    (ii) a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...3.html#docCont

The only thing that changes with a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms, is no trigger lock is required.

Shawn

thanks everyone, this is why I question myself I kinda know from reading but wanted to know how and what others do.

rkwm