Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BD38 Discrepancy

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    There is a second part to the T97 story, beyond the initial Customs hearing. Have a look at that.
    Your understanding of the auto sear in the AR type rifle is flawed. Installation of an auto sear system - Drop In Auto Sear, Lightning Link, etc, results in the ability to fire controlled bursts.
    No doubt a BD owner will initiate a Section 74 hearing. The RCMP will have the opportunity to demonstrate ease of conversion, and the owner will have the opportunity to prove that they are wrong.
    This business of bringing up the old saw about all semi autos being converted is not a productive argument, unless the intent is to prohibit additional firearms.
    Of course, this is quite acceptable to some - if I can't have mine, I'll do what I can to make sure that you can't have yours.
    Here is the issue, if the trigger group swap is the legit cause how many other firearms do you know that have an ease of conversion similar to this... Just off hand I can think of 3 and I am not well versed in this by any stretch ... 2 of which are non restricted..

My main issue is what they consider full auto... I they consider a slide fire stock full auto wouldn't that make every semi easily converted? It just seems like we are teetering on the brink of something really bad from our so called civil servants that have somehow become law makers without election or input from the public

Super Moderator
    The account I have seen of the court hearing where Murray Smith demonstrated conversion of a T97 to auto made no mention of the transplant of an unavailable trigger group into the specimen rifle.
    The slidefire is a prohibited device, all by itself. It, and the various cranks and other prohibited widgets are not justification for reclassification of an enitre category of firearms.

BANNED
    The crazy part is all of this type of classification is based on what ifs.

"What if the owner does something illegal......."

If this is how the RCMP are going to be thinking, and how future legislation is to be made we are all screwed!

Any barrel can be cut short enough to make a gun prohib.......

Expired Business
    BD-38 SAGA;

I want to take a few moments to review the entire issue yet again....

I would ask all the experts who have rendered an opinion what they are basing it on ? Do you own a BD-38 ? An FA Mp-38 ? Have you made a side by side comparison ?

1) OK lets see now, a few years ago we became aware of the BD-3008, BD-38, BD-42 and the BD-44 during a visit to IWA in Nuremberg....
    2) We immediately requested that they ship us at least one of each so that we could seek approval....
    3) Upon receipt of the firearms we submitted them to the lab in Ottawa for approval....
    4) The firearms were examined and tested by the technicians in Ottawa....
    5) They were approved and we received FRT numbers for all of the models.....
    6) Over the first couple of years following approval we imported a number of these firearms for domestic sale in Canada....

TRIGGER GROUPS; I would like to know how people have come up with this term when discussing the BD-38, unlike many other firearms on the market where one can simply release one trigger group and insert another, like many H&K firearms, the trigger mechanism of the Mp-38, Mp-40 and the Mp-41 is an integral part of the lower receiver....
    I'm certain that the many experts who have given their opinion on the simply "switching" of trigger groups have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about....

IF one wishes to switch out the entire lower receiver of his BD-38 (which contains the trigger assembly) in an effort to go FA he will have a problem....
    First he must remove the lower receiver, then pick up his lower receiver from an FA weapon (registered I hope) and attempt to lock it in place, well here lies an issue, it DOES NOT FIT, it WILL NOT ROTATE AND LOCK IN PLACE.... I thought we (Marstar) said that way back when....

If you wish to use a BD-38 barrel on your FA or an MP-38 barrel on your BD they DO NOT INTERCHANGE....

Even the bolts have subtle differences....

Almost forgot to mention that the cut outs on the lower side of the upper receiver (Tube) are quite different....

I know it appears that Marstar is to blame for all the problems with the decision taken in Ottawa, why not take it up with the registry after all they made the decision NOT Marstar ??

I hope this puts to rest ALL of the questions, opinions etc....

John

Super Moderator
    I think that classification should be based on what the thing is, how it was originally manufactured, rather than what it could be illegally altered to be.
    The involvement of the SCoC has confirmed the what it could be altered to situation.

The gun + hacksaw = prohibited sawed off is not something that is going to be used as a justification for prohibiting all firearms.

Complaining to the RCMP that one gun is prohibited, how come these others aren't, is a really stupid thing to do. And that has been done. More than once.

Expired Business
    SKIP 1600;
    "Here is the issue, if the trigger group swap is the legit cause"

Please take a moment to read my explanation on trigger groups....

John

Expired Business
    SPLATTER;
    "However... if there is anyone in Canada, besides the RCMP lab, that has access to an original trigger group, I'd think it'd be Marstar.

So, can you dig one up, John? And provide independent results? "

No problem we have many of both in stock, please take a moment to read my explanation of "trigger groups"

John

Expired Business
    CGNNER;
    Re trigger groups, please take a moment to read a complete explanation that I have posted....
    John

Expired Business
    COTE_B;
    "and to see if in fact, the full auto trigger groups actually drop right it and work. "

Please read my complete explanation as posted on this board
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    SKIP 1600;
    "Here is the issue, if the trigger group swap is the legit cause"

Please take a moment to read my explanation on trigger groups....

John
    That's what I was looking for.. I've never owned one of these and never will and when someone comes on with an email from the RCMP saying a trigger group can just be swapped. It raises some concerns that you have now addressed.