Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BD38 Discrepancy

Unless someone has a better idea, this is how this scam should be fought.
    You have convinced me. Accidentally going full auto is a broken gun in need of repair.

This is another idea. For any gun they say, "in theory if you do this it will go full auto". Put the onus on the RCMP technician to design a workaround. The person able to figure out how to "modify to go auto" should be able to design a method to "inhibit the said modification".

Then they can publish the workaround and inform owners they should get their gun modded to the new recommended spec. What I am trying to say is so far they only go halfway and figure out ways to make your gun illegal. They should be required to put the effort into figuring out how to make the firearm acceptable. Then everyone could keep their BD38, and every subsequently studied gun.
    CSSA, NRA Swag Owner

Expired Business
    JERICHO;
    "what Marstar has to say about them describing the guns as not being able to accept FA trigger groups...."
    I assume you are fully familiar with the trigger mechanism of both the SA and FA versions of this firearm ?

"Has Marstar discussed the trigger group comment with the company?
    What is to discuss ?

Has Marstar discussed compensation to it's buyers with the company?
    Compensation for what ?

Does anyone even care? It doesn't sound like it. Poor buyers...
    You ask if we care, that is one stupid question, oops I'm being blunt, how many companies have been around as long as us, how many support their customers like we do ? Come on get real....

I would respectfully suggest you read my posting on "trigger groups"

John

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    The account I have seen of the court hearing where Murray Smith demonstrated conversion of a T97 to auto made no mention of the transplant of an unavailable trigger group into the specimen rifle.
    The slidefire is a prohibited device, all by itself. It, and the various cranks and other prohibited widgets are not justification for reclassification of an enitre category of firearms.
    This may be true but if they consider jamming a foreign object into the firearm "converting to auto" where will they stop. Although they have not done this yet is it impossible to think they will in the future. They seem to be just "making it up as they go"... And upon all else the entire system is based off of criminalizing legal firearms owners. It's based off of "what ifs" and nothing more

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RMXC51's Avatar
    Thank you for setting it straight, John. It really disgusts me how people jump all over Marstar every time something happens. You get us the goodies we want and this how you are repaid?

This whole BD38 reclassification (and all the rest) are total BS. Given time and tools, blah blah. Give me the time, tools and money and I could make a coffee pot into a full auto.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

CGN frequent flyer airtruck63chev's Avatar
    they must have sent it to "Sons of Guns" to have it converted....
    JESUS PROMISED THE END OF ALL WICKED PEOPLE
    ODIN PROMISED THE END OF ALL ICE GIANTS
    I DON'T SEE MANY ICE GIANTS AROUND

Quote Originally Posted by airtruck63chev View Post
    they must have sent it to "Sons of Guns" to have it converted....
    Why did the sample come back as a carbine painted black with some sort of stupid under attachment .... And did it smell like dirty rednecks ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    BD-38 SAGA;

I want to take a few moments to review the entire issue yet again....

I would ask all the experts who have rendered an opinion what they are basing it on ? Do you own a BD-38 ? An FA Mp-38 ? Have you made a side by side comparison ?

1) OK lets see now, a few years ago we became aware of the BD-3008, BD-38, BD-42 and the BD-44 during a visit to IWA in Nuremberg....
    2) We immediately requested that they ship us at least one of each so that we could seek approval....
    3) Upon receipt of the firearms we submitted them to the lab in Ottawa for approval....
    4) The firearms were examined and tested by the technicians in Ottawa....
    5) They were approved and we received FRT numbers for all of the models.....
    6) Over the first couple of years following approval we imported a number of these firearms for domestic sale in Canada....

TRIGGER GROUPS; I would like to know how people have come up with this term when discussing the BD-38, unlike many other firearms on the market where one can simply release one trigger group and insert another, like many H&K firearms, the trigger mechanism of the Mp-38, Mp-40 and the Mp-41 is an integral part of the lower receiver....
    I'm certain that the many experts who have given their opinion on the simply "switching" of trigger groups have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about....

IF one wishes to switch out the entire lower receiver of his BD-38 (which contains the trigger assembly) in an effort to go FA he will have a problem....
    First he must remove the lower receiver, then pick up his lower receiver from an FA weapon (registered I hope) and attempt to lock it in place, well here lies an issue, it DOES NOT FIT, it WILL NOT ROTATE AND LOCK IN PLACE.... I thought we (Marstar) said that way back when....

If you wish to use a BD-38 barrel on your FA or an MP-38 barrel on your BD they DO NOT INTERCHANGE....

Even the bolts have subtle differences....

Almost forgot to mention that the cut outs on the lower side of the upper receiver (Tube) are quite different....

I know it appears that Marstar is to blame for all the problems with the decision taken in Ottawa, why not take it up with the registry after all they made the decision NOT Marstar ??

I hope this puts to rest ALL of the questions, opinions etc....

John
    Yur explanation is appreciated, but if the RCMP are contradicting the information on your site, as a service to those who bought these rifles from you, would you not head up a lawsuit/challenge? You did boast that Marstar has been undefeated in the court room. If these rifles will not accept trigger group components, then the RCMP are lying and should be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Yur explanation is appreciated, but if the RCMP are contradicting the information on your site, as a service to those who bought these rifles from you, would you not head up a lawsuit/challenge? You did boast that Marstar has been undefeated in the court room. If these rifles will not accept trigger group components, then the RCMP are lying and should be held accountable.
    The RCMP .... Being held accountable .... There is a better chance of me setting up a unicorn jousting league than that happening

Christ, why do we allow this sort of problem to exist in the first place? As if a collector would legally drop 4k on a rifle, seek out the means to modify it to FA and then use it to commit a crime. The letter to the RCMP should have asked why they even bother wasting everybodies time with this instead of dealing with the fact thugs can purchase whatever they want illegally in downtown T.O.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    John:
    Thank you for answering some of our questions, and your explanation was very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by cgnner View Post
    BD38 Discrepancy

I recently received the email below from Mr Etter of the Canadian Firearms Program .

William Etter 2013-01-15 12:14 PM
    The Sport Systeme Dittrich firearm, Model BD38, is a factory manufactured firearm in semi-automatic configuration, which has a near exact copy of the receiver of a full automatic firearm. The two receivers are so similar that the original German Model MP38 and MP38/40 Submachine Gun trigger mechanisms will fit and function in the BD38 to support full automatic fire.
    William (Bill) Etter
    Chief Firearms Technologist
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate
    RCMP - CFP
    Specialized Policing Services

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    ... if there is anyone in Canada, besides the RCMP lab, that has access to an original trigger group, I'd think it'd be Marstar.

So, can you dig one up, John? And provide independent results?
    No problem we have many of both in stock, please take a moment to read my explanation of "trigger groups"

John

I'm sure that you noted that it was not a member of Canadian Gun Nutz that asserted the original FullAuto trigger groups would interchange.
    It was Mr. Etter, and it was his allegation that we needed you to answer to.

So, just to make sure that I understand you correctly:

You are saying that when Mr. Etter writes "The two receivers are so similar that the original German Model MP38 and MP38/40 Submachine Gun trigger mechanisms will fit and function in the BD38 to support full automatic fire."

That his statement is a blatant falsehood, I.E. he is lying?

Seriously, I'm sorry that you always seem to be on the receiving end of this sort of stuff.
    You bring us cool and innovative toys and I certainly appreciate that.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky