Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: BD38 Discrepancy

BANNED

BD38 Discrepancy

BD38 Discrepancy

I recently received the email below from Mr Etter of the Canadian Firearms Program .

William Etter 2013-01-15 12:14 PM
    Good morning

The question you posed to the Canadian Firearms Program, Specialized Firearms Support Services Section, has been forwarded to me for a response.

Let me identify myself and my job function to you. I hold the job position of Chief Firearms Technologist, technical authority in the subject area of assigning the applicable legal class to all firearms found on the Firearms Reference Table as well as prohibited devices and prohibited ammunition.

I work in the Specialized Firearms Support Services Section which is a component of the Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Services Directorate, RCMP - Canadian Firearms Program.

I am authorized to speak on behalf of the Specialized Firearms Support Services Section.

QUESTION

Date: January 11, 2013 10:19:06 AM PST
    To: fierarmident@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
    Cc:
    Subject: BD38 reclasification

Hello
    i am a current owner of a bd38 and i have been made aware that you have reclassified my rifle to prohibited . This was done after you had previously classified it as a restricted device some 8 years ago.

So what i would like to know is exactly how long it took you to do the conversion how in fact were you able to accomplish this . what tools were needed and how many bd38s did it take .

Also will you grand father us owners who legally purchased and registered this device which you had allowed in Canada in the first place .

ANSWERS

The Sport Systeme Dittrich firearm, Model BD38, is a factory manufactured firearm in semi-automatic configuration, which has a near exact copy of the receiver of a full automatic firearm. The two receivers are so similar that the original German Model MP38 and MP38/40 Submachine Gun trigger mechanisms will fit and function in the BD38 to support full automatic fire. Additionally, the Sport Systeme Dittrich firearm, Model BD38 is readily converted to fire full automatic in a relatively short time period with relative ease.

It is not in the interest of public safety to reveal to you exactly the manner of the minor modifications to the trigger mechanism to produce full automatic fire.

As for your last question regarding "grandfathering" owners, or firearms. It is not my prerogative to comment upon this matter. I am informed that the Registrar of Firearms will be sending all owners a letter explaining the options available to them.

I trust this helps.

William Etter

William (Bill) Etter
    Chief Firearms Technologist
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate
    RCMP - CFP
    Specialized Policing Services

613-993-6684

The email above is in direct conflict with the Marstar website http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produc...roductid=74987

"Now, thanks to Sport-Systeme Dittrich, a newly manufactured German made 'semi-automatic only' reproduction of the Mkb-42(H) is available to any Canadian who is legally permitted to acquire a handgun (these carbines are 'restricted' due to their barrel length). As with SSD's BD-44, BD-38 and BD-3008, extensive research and engineering has been invested into recreating these famous firearms even to the point of stamping them with authentic-looking 'waffenamts'! Everything except the 'semi-automatic only' fire control system (please note these rifles will not accept original trigger group components) - including the stamped receiver and rough forged gas block - is meticulously reproduced to resemble the unobtainable originals."

Discrepancies highlighted in bold.

Who is correct, Mr Etter or Marstar ?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnner View Post
    Who is correct, Mr Etter or Marstar ?

Super Moderator
    Marstar sold these guns in good faith.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Marstar sold these guns in good faith.
    Someone's lying.

Yes it is quite the situation, that we are in.
    CCFR Member, NFA Member, CSSA Member, CPC Member.
    Arte et Marte
    Wanted. C.A. 12(3) MP38/MP40 and a PPSH41.

BANNED
    I was hoping Marstar would be able to set the record straight. So far at least that does not seem to be happening.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Question, is the bd-42 also a prohib??????
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnner View Post
    I was hoping Marstar would be able to set the record straight. So far at least that does not seem to be happening.
    If Marstar lied in the description, I would expect full refunds.

If the RCMP are lying, a complaint should be filed.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 5440fight's Avatar
    I would expect diddley, and/or squat. Not a lot on the streets= less outrage. Marstar can blame the maker, who undoubtably gave them their info, and the consumer gets the shaft. Any prohib classifications that come after "closer" inspection should come with a retail buy-out by the feds, after all, their sloppiness created the situation.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Quote Originally Posted by 5440fight View Post
    I would expect diddley, and/or squat. Not a lot on the streets= less outrage. Marstar can blame the maker, who undoubtably gave them their info, and the consumer gets the shaft. Any prohib classifications that come after "closer" inspection should come with a retail buy-out by the feds, after all, their sloppiness created the situation.
    This seems a far more likely situation than any sort of conscious effort to deceive. I imagine Marstar was quoting information given to them by SSD. There's no profit in bringing in guns that are easily converted, as one could end up with a 40 foot container of very expensive boat anchors before they even hit the retail shelves.

The RCMP are unlikely to be lying, as they don't really have to. They're under no obligation to offer an explanation at all, as no one seems willing to challenge their judgement or methods on this issue. If Mr. Etter says it's easily converted to FA, that seems good enough for anyone with any pull.

That being said, a policy that converts a $4k firearm into a valueless inconvenience should, if only to be fair, also mean recompense by the government at retail prices. That money should come directly from the budget for Mr. Etter's department. I should think this would motivate him to be very certain and very clear in his work and deliberations.
    Grammar is like personal hygiene - you can ignore it if you like, but don't be surprised when people make assumptions about you.

Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast