Thread: Jordanian VIPER?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Jordanian VIPER?

Just posted this in that thread where guys are talking about what they want for this year, thought you might be interested.

It is certainly something NEW, anyway.

What interests me is the whole aspect of another torque-locked rotating-barrel pistol. The 1911 Steyr was/is dead relable. I have had one for over 30 years and have the greatest respect for the old thing; it will handle anything that even looks like ammunition. If this new gun is improved from that, it should be a real whizz.

"And a JAWS VIPER. JAWS is Jordanian Army Weapons System, VIPER is the gun, designed by Wildey Moore for the King Abdullah Development Bureau.

It is a torque-locked rotating-barrel semi-auto 9mm pistol, in some ways reminiscent of the 911 Steyr but vastly improved. Ambidextrous, fast mag change.

Calibre may be altered within a wide range by interchanging slide faces and barrels, mags.

DEFINITELY the most interesting new design to come along in the last 20 years.

MADE in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on computer-driven machinery, completely modern.

Now, if I can just find an IMPORTER........."

Any chance?
    It's been 100 years since first delivery and there is STILL nothing that can beat a 1910 Ross!

"History is the sum total of human experience, to date." (Dr. Charles W. Lightbody, 1907 - 1970)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viper_Jaws_pistol

The name Wildey Moore caught my attention. He made the large Wildey pistol a while back.

I doubt the Jordanians would sell this pistol into outside the country. They may not be allowed to do so by the designer or US state department.

Can't hurt to wish though!!

How does it work? Kinda sounds like the barrel rotates..
    -SideBurnz-

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canuck223's Avatar

If it's a rotary barrel 9mm you are looking for, we already have them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canuck223's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S1de8urnz View Post
    How does it work? Kinda sounds like the barrel rotates..
    Yep, instead of the Browning style tilting barrel lock up system, a rotary barrel stays fixed in the horozontal axis and rotates under recoil. When the limit of rotation is reached, the barrels locking lugs have moved out of engagement with the corresponding lugs in the slide. The barrel stops rotating and moving rearword, while the slide continues to eject the spent casing.

In counter recoil, the slide picks up a round and begins to chamber it. Once the slide has moved forward enough, it makes contact again with the locking lugs on the barrel and forces it to rotate into the fully locked position. The rotation is forced by a helical cut on the barrel that engages a cross pin in the pistols frame.

It's a fantastic system, but not new. What is new is the machining and design tools to make this system cheap enough to mass produce.

Done right, it can greatly reduce the felt recoil. The math stays the same, but a staight back push seems gentler than the snap when the Browning type barrels change angle. You need to try it back to back to understand.

Tagged for interest.

So what makes this more interesting than the Beretta PX4 Storm? Other than looks/style; are there any other differences? Do you prefer this design or are you interested in this one because you do like the PX4 and this will be just another option of something you like?

The VIPER looks "okay" to me but nothing special. Not interested in getting one but never know until it's tried I guess.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I like the torque-locked rotating-barrel system of operation and my beautiful Steyr IS 101 years old now.

The Jordanian gun is a handsome weapon by modern standards, is SA/DA at will, HAS the locking system which I prefer AND can be calibre-changed by simple interchanging of parts.

As well, I don't think it would do any harm to buy from Jordan. They are the ONE Arab country in the Middle East which wants to exist in PEACE.

And besides, it's a link with Glubb Pasha and the Arab Legion and the Revolt in the Desert.

It has to be a good gun if King Abdullah wants it for his Armed Forces. Remember, before the demise of his father, King Hussein, King Abdullah was the Commander of the Jordanian Special Forces.... and he got there by being supremely GOOD at what he did, not just because he was the King-in-waiting.

I would like to evaluate for myself what one can do on a range in this country.

Besides, I am 68 years old and I have never owned a NEW pistol.

I think this might be a neat place to start.
    It's been 100 years since first delivery and there is STILL nothing that can beat a 1910 Ross!

"History is the sum total of human experience, to date." (Dr. Charles W. Lightbody, 1907 - 1970)