Thread: Buying first restricted firearm clarification

Buying first restricted firearm clarification

Hello All

New here and new to firearms in general. I'm looking for clarification on the steps on buying my first restricted firearm. I've had my RPAL for some time but have not purchased a firearm nor have I joined a gun club yet. I'm thinking of buying and learning to shot a handgun (mainly because I never have before) but their seems to be lots of conflicting info out there about the exact steps needed. I think I have it figured out but want to run it by you all first. Main thing is, can I legally own a restricted firearm with my RPAL but not transport without ATT? This is where I'm confused however.

To be in compliance with law, steps are:

1. Get RPAL
    2. Buy & register restricted firearm and have it delivered as you can't transport a restricted without ATT and can't get an ATT without a registered restricted firearm
    3. Apply for temp authorisation to transport (ATT) to go to gun range
    4, Go to gun range w firearm
    5. Practice,
    6. Become member of club (might have to repeat 3,4,5 several times).
    7. Get club/range certification that you are competent with restricted firearm
    8. Get permanent ATT
    9. Repeat (except becoming range member) for next rest restricted firearms purchase

Would love to hear if I got this right or wrong. Main thing is I think I can own a restricted firearm with my RPAL, I just can't do anything with it (except store it) because I don't have an authorisation to transport (which would allow me to transport to a few select places) and you can't get an authorisation to transport without owning a firearm.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. and optional to respond, but what if I miss the courier and they leave one of those, pick up at Canada Post location xxxx, wouldn't I be in violation of the law to transport a package containing a restricted firearm? WOuld I technically own it once purchased and therefore could get a temp ATT to transport from Canada Post to home?

Technically you would probable be in violation of the law. But many would argue that you should be fine to just go pick up the package throw it in your trunk and travel straight home with it. Don't unwrap the package until your in the privacy of your home and no one should ever know, or care to know what was inside?

How often do you pick up your mail and then get pulled over, and asked what's in the package? You would have to be doing something incredibly suspicious or stupid to attract that much suspicion from the authorities and if that is typical of you perhaps you shouldn't have a gun.

Thanks, so am I pretty much correct with steps 1-9?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Depending on your province, #6 might have to come before #2.

There is nothing in the firearms act that says you must be a member of a club to purchase a restricted, but some CFO's have decided they won't approve the transfer to you without proof of membership.
    Member: CSSA

What am I thinking........? If I wanted you to know, I'd be talking!

4, Go to gun range w firearm
    5. Practice,
    6. Become member of club (might have to repeat 3,4,5 several times).
    7. Get club/range certification that you are competent with restricted firearm

None of these are required from an ATT standpoint.
    After you have your restricted firearm in your possession, you join a gun club, and then apply for an ATT to transport your firearm to and from the club.

Rules each club has in place vary.

Kirk
    Member of CSSA and NFA

CGN Regular
    Don't pick up parcel without an ATT unless you want to risk losing the ability to ever own firearms again....Its not worth it just to prevent a single phone call.

As far as how to purchase, your province of residence will determine whether you need to be a member of a range before you can purchase the firearm. In Nova Scotia, the CFO would not permit me to purchase a handgun until after I was a member of a range with a letter of confirmation faxed to them by the range.

After you join the range, you purchase your firearm. If you passed your RPAL course and follow the safety rules, your range should have no problem endorsing your LTATT application after you pass their safety briefing/testing. In some cases they make you a probationary member for several months and you can still get STATT's during that time.

Your best bet is to contact the local range you intend to join and ask them about the ATT and membership process. They may allow you to participate in their safety briefing/testing with a club gun as my local range does for all new members.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    1. Acquire RPAL
    2. Purchase restricted firearm. Store all submit paperwork for the transfer and STATT. If it is an online purchase, they will ship to your door. If nobody is around to sign for the package, it will be sent to your local Post Office depot. You will need to contact your CFO for a STATT to bring your package from the Post Office to your home. A simple phone call to do so.
    2a. If you are in Ontario, you can possess your restricted firearms prior to joining a range BUT you will NOT be issued a LATT nor STATT to take your restricted to the range. The only exceptions to the STATT for range use is if you have an invitation for a firearms training course. Some provinces require you to be a member of an approved range prior to possession.
    3. Once a member of a range, you will most likely be required to take a safety course for range use etc as well as pass 2 or more supervised shoots. This may vary amongst the different ranges.
    4. Wait 3wks or so for your LATT
    5. Renew 4-6mts prior to expiration of your LATT.
    4. Once you have passed your probation at your range, the club will complete the application for your LATT.
    Last edited by Trinimon; 01-31-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Yup here in bc must have your gun club first
    Then ATT for transport then they will approve the transfer of the restricted

Thanks everyone! This is good info. I now understand why I got confused, each province is different. I'm in Vancouver, BC so sounds like my first step will be to contact a range where I would like to practise and get their advice on next steps.

You can get your LTATT (Long Term Authorization To Transport) without having a restricted gun in BC. Mine took 2 days (plus a weekend). Called them (CFO) Friday and was told to email my Shooting Range membership, (Silvercore - for simplicity - $30 unless you are already a member), emailed it to them with my RPAL # and full name, Tuesday at about 1pm my LTATT arrived via email.
    "Pick 'em up and set 'em down Pyle!"