Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: new belt fed coming so now rpd????

Super Moderator
    In the context of the RDP, reproduction belts are not an issue. Anything available would be ComBloc. It would seem that the belt does not qualify based on dating, and the 5 round limit could apply.

Originally Posted by tiriaq
    Belts can be made anytime. They must be for guns designed '45 or earlier. It has been suggested that the RPD, like the SKS, was prototyped and field tested during the last stages of WW2, but the RCMP do not accept that the RPD belts qualifies for exempt status.
    Ammunition belts (metallic or fabric) that are "not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for the purpose of feeding rounds into an automatic firearm of a type that was in existence before 1945." are ok. It is the word "reproduction" that causes issue. Have to be genuine kit, not aftermarket.

How one tells the difference between reproduction and genuine is beyond me.
    Repro belts would be those made by non oem manufacturers, ie companies not either producing the gun or parts for the gun as part of a military contract. The law as written is pretty clear that the belt itself does not have to be made prior to 1945, it must've made for a firearm design that existed prior to 1945. Pretty sure the RCMP is not going to be able to weasel out of this one...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Repro belts would be those made by non oem manufacturers, ie companies not either producing the gun or parts for the gun as part of a military contract. The law as written is pretty clear that the belt itself does not have to be made prior to 1945, it must've made for a firearm design that existed prior to 1945. Pretty sure the RCMP is not going to be able to weasel out of this one...
    I have email correspondence with William Etter, Chief Firearms Technologist in Ottawa and when it comes to any belt fed the links and belts used to load more than 5 rounds can not be reproductions. They must be original links or belts. With regards to the 1919 the fabric belts are actually dated and you must use pre 1945 manufactured belts. As for the links well good luck telling the date. Some have proof marks stamped on them but to this date I can't find any info on the proof marks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Either way 5 rounds or not, I want this more then anything else in the firearms world right now!!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Not sure that any "reproduction" belts even exist for the RPD... Remember the law does not state that the belt must predate 1945. In any case the onus would be on the RCMP to show that the belt was a reproduction.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Not sure that any "reproduction" belts even exist for the RPD... Remember the law does not state that the belt must predate 1945. In any case the onus would be on the RCMP to show that the belt was a reproduction.
    As I just said a few posts back the CFO Firearms Technologist in the firearms lab in Ottawa that makes decisions regarding firearms says the belts must be date pre 1945. Every original fabric belt I've seen is dated. Links are another story. You wanna argue with the big dog popo in Ottawa about it when you get hauled into court be my guest. The RCMP doesn't have to prove your guilty, its on you to prove your innocent. That's why I carry the letter with me stating the legalities of running a 250 round belt as per the CFO Technologist in Ottawa.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Belts can be made anytime. They must be for guns designed '45 or earlier. It has been suggested that the RPD, like the SKS, was prototyped and field tested during the last stages of WW2, but the RCMP do not accept that the RPD belts qualifies for exempt status.
    Who comes up with such stupid laws????

If this all comes about I will sell stuff off to get one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgunkid View Post
    Who comes up with such stupid laws????
    Anti gun politicians.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CFO Firearms Technologist in the firearms lab in Ottawa that makes decisions regarding firearms
    They can advise the crown on their interpretation but they can't re-write the law. In this case there is not any real ambiguity in the law IMHO.

The RCMP doesn't have to prove your guilty, its on you to prove your innocent
    As a matter of fact they do and it would have to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a very high threshold.

If and when the semi RPDs are approved, and assuming the RCMP decides to continue with this frankly silly interpretation of a pretty clear part of the statute, I will happily challenge them pro bono...